Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[CSGO] Sourcemod Not Getting Steamid

Post New Thread Reply   

Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 10-16-2016 , 06:50   Re: [CSGO] Sourcemod Not Getting Steamid
Reply With Quote #11

After previous update, players steamid is not "valid" when connected, it come much later. This maybe lead error/bug on old or plugins which check player steamid too early
STEAM_ID_PENDING

Last edited by Bacardi; 10-16-2016 at 06:51.
hlstriker
Green Gaben
Old 10-18-2016 , 02:00   Re: [CSGO] Sourcemod Not Getting Steamid
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
After previous update, players steamid is not "valid" when connected, it come much later. This maybe lead error/bug on old or plugins which check player steamid too early
STEAM_ID_PENDING
I don't believe it was ever safe to get a client's steamid until OnClientAuthorized was called (paired with IsClientAuthorized). Code written otherwise has always been invalid.
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 10-18-2016 , 03:06   Re: [CSGO] Sourcemod Not Getting Steamid
Reply With Quote #13

Indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlstriker View Post
I don't believe it was ever safe to get a client's steamid until OnClientAuthorized was called (paired with IsClientAuthorized). Code written otherwise has always been invalid.
BANNED
Old 10-24-2016 , 18:29   Re: [CSGO] Sourcemod Not Getting Steamid
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
That leads me to a question...Would someone care to enlighten me on the process of what gets called when, when a client connects. I know there's a whole bunch of different client connection-related things you can use, for example:

1. OnClientAuthorized
  2. OnClientConnect
  3. OnClientConnected
  4. OnClientPreAdminCheck
  5. OnClientPostAdminCheck
  6. OnClientPutInServer

If I was to want to put those forwards in order of when they're called during a client connecting, what order would they be in?
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 10-24-2016 , 18:31   Re: [CSGO] Sourcemod Not Getting Steamid
Reply With Quote #15

OnClientConnect, followed by OnClientConnected will always be first.

OnClientAuthorized and OnClientPutInServer will be next, but not necessarily in that order. It's indeterminate.

Then, OnClientPreAdminCheck, followed by OnClientPostAdminCheck.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 10-24-2016 , 18:36   Re: [CSGO] Sourcemod Not Getting Steamid
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
It depends what the purpose is.

While not officially "safe", it was previously always fine to grab a client's unvalidated SteamID as early as in OnClientConnect. You just had to keep in mind that using it to grant any special privileges was a bad idea. One thing it was however useful for, was the opposite, keeping people out of a server if they didn't match a whitelist, without taking up a slot for long. That apparently changed, at least in CS:GO, and at least for some but not all users/cases. It's not always available that early now (although I still can't reproduce that case).

If you want the validated id, useful for granting any sort of admin access or privilege, you always want to wait for the client to be fully authorized.

All that aside, the return of GetClientAuthId or the old GetClientAuthString should have always be checked (just as it's always been documented) if you don't know whether or not IsClientAuthorized would pass, (which would be them getting past OnClientAuthorized). This even includes the early, unvalidated uses.

Last edited by psychonic; 10-24-2016 at 18:37.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-24-2016 , 21:32   Re: [CSGO] Sourcemod Not Getting Steamid
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
OnClientConnect, followed by OnClientConnected will always be first.

OnClientAuthorized and OnClientPutInServer will be next, but not necessarily in that order. It's indeterminate.

Then, OnClientPreAdminCheck, followed by OnClientPostAdminCheck.
Well, there is one more you left out, but it (OnClientPostAdminFilter) is intended to be used by plugins that change admin permissions.

BAFFLED
Old 10-25-2016 , 08:19   Re: [CSGO] Sourcemod Not Getting Steamid
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Well, there is one more you left out, but it (OnClientPostAdminFilter) is intended to be used by plugins that change admin permissions.
It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list, just ordering the ones he asked about.