[CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame

Post New Thread Reply   

Rizla
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-27-2013 , 09:04   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
They did change everything about sv_pure in the last big update. You have to use it on the command line now, the meaning completely changed, etc... but if you are hearing the sounds twice, or once plus and echo, let's hope that it isn't an sv_pure issue, in which case you shouldn't hear anything I'd think.

Is it possible that you are hearing the sounds from the custom folder as well the sounds from where they were intended to be? Then again, that still wouldn't explain why you'd hear sounds from others. I have CS:S, and don't have these issues that I've noticed, but except for the readme, the custom folder remains empty. It's things like this that make me feel all warm inside about Valve.
its not an echo or double hearing, just hearing from others, i had this problem with sv_pure before, when technically i shouldnt have heard anything as you say.

its not game breaking, more annoying than anything else. once ive tried anything, ill report back
Bittersweet
Veteran Member
Old 05-27-2013 , 11:07   Re: Release 1.2.12.0
Reply With Quote #4172

Quote:
Originally Posted by altex View Post
Good question.
Autoupdate is a good idea itself.
But before implementing this it's necessury to resolve some other issues.
For example:
1) Almost every gg update adds/changes some config variables. We can update smx files, but we can not just update config file, because server administators changed it. So this new features wouldn't be available until admins will know what exactly was added in config.
2) Some updates does not have backward compatibility, for example deteling some features. Admins should take time to reconfigure server before changes take effect.
3) Some updates can not be done without admins. For example when admin should move custom sounds to another folder
4) Some updates changes api, so other plugins that depends on gungame will stop working after update.

So i can't imagine what exactly issues will occur after every update on a particular server. And that's why i beleive the most part of admins won't be happy if i implement this feature. For example, do you feel happy after every weekly update from valve? As an administrator i mean, not as a player
I'm not very happy about Valve or SM updates as an admin or as a player. I can't remember the last update that actually did something good that I care about. Adding support for Apple/Macintosh is a good idea, but I didn't get any rush of new players after that. I also understand your reasons listed above for not using an updater. I can't count the times I had to go back and rebuild my database.cfg after an SM update - very irritating.

I always tell new users of GunGame and other highly configurable plugins that they should go through the config files line by line when first setting it up, to see all of the options, and set them to their liking. It wouldn't be hard to spend most of a day setting up GunGame just the way you like it - I think it took me several days. Having my config files overwritten by some updater...yes, that would make me want to throw my monitor through a window.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this awesome group of plugins

My plugins:
[CS:S] BOT Swat | [ANY] CVAR Randomizer | [CS:S] SM CS:S Tag Beta | [CS:S] Bot2Player
Awesome & Crucial plugins by other people:
[CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame | [UMC3] Ultimate Mapchooser | [ANY] Server Crontab | [ANY] SM ForceCamera
altex
Veteran Member
Old 05-27-2013 , 11:55   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4173

Thank you, Bittersweet
You're doing a good job helping all people in this thread to start using GunGame SM
Old 05-27-2013 , 14:55   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
This sounds like CS:GO, and what a great idea Valve has come up with to get people to create maps that they, the creators, never get to host? It sounds like you are saying these maps are loaded to clients' machines not from the game server, not from a fastDL server, but from another server somewhere, controlled by "Steam Workshop". Is that about how it works?

In that case, I doubt this would work, or you may have already tried it, but you can put map specific .cfg files in your cstrike/maps/cfg folder. For example, a file named de_dust.cfg in that folder would be loaded when the map de_dust is loaded. This works when the map loads from cstrike/maps. With the map loading from somewhere else, I'm not sure it would work at all.

Other than that, you really have no control over naming a map with a gg_ prefix using Steam Workshops?
Well, the Steam Workshop is a great idea in theory and it does get some things right (some things horribly wrong). Every time I can make a change to a map, the people who are subscribed to my map will get pushed the most recent, up to date version, as well as the servers that are using it. This means you don't get "Your .bsp file doesn't match the servers" kind of errors. Basically, Steam is acting as your FastDL server. However, when it shows that map in the server browser, it shows the current map name for your server as /steamworkshopmapidnumber123/mapname.

So, given that each map number is unique to each map in the Steam Workshop, and it starts with a "/" (which of course, files can't be named with that) it's a bit... interesting. So far, I've also found that map configs for SM:GG never worked. I've posted my escapade on that. I've only had luck getting it to work with prefix files. Being that the map I'm trying to run are my own, and I operate the server, I've been making local fast dl copies for my server, but I would like to look into Steam Workshop integration.

It's fun to see so many people join in when we're running GunGame and say how much they long for the style of GG instead of Arms Race.

(Also, map prefixes aren't controlled on Steam Workshop. You enable what game types work for each map ie: Arms Race, Classic, Deathmatch, etc.)
herpes
Old 05-27-2013 , 14:59   Re: Release 1.2.12.0
Reply With Quote #4175

Quote:
Release 1.2.12.0:
--------------
* Fixed bug. If gungame is disabled then players can drop weapons if StripDeadPlayersWeapon is enabled.
Before fix it was not possible to drop the gun even if gungame is disabled.
But dont forget to set mp_death_drop_gun and mp_death_drop_grenade if you use CSGO.
So now you can use gg_enable/gg_disable to switch between gungame and normal game.
* Fixed bug. If Prune = 0 in config then prune is disabled.
Before fix prune=0 was deleting all the players info.
* Added another workaround to CSGO sound system. Now it's possible to play sounds not only
in sound/music folder, so snd_musicvolume does not affect it.
But still there are some disadvantages, for example it's not possible to play more than one sound
at once. So "TripleLevelBonus" music will be stoped after any other sound like "levelup".
* Sounds have been relocated. "sound/music/gungame" folder have been renamed to "sound/gungame".
Any idea how CS:GO safe this version is? (I can't remember if I had to snag a minor beta file for this plugin or not to get it to work :S)

Last edited by herpes; 05-27-2013 at 15:03.
altex
Veteran Member
Old 05-28-2013 , 11:22   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4176

Quote:
Originally Posted by herpes View Post
So far, I've also found that map configs for SM:GG never worked.
What exactly does not work?
Old 05-28-2013 , 11:24   Re: Release 1.2.12.0
Reply With Quote #4177

Quote:
Any idea how CS:GO safe this version is? (I can't remember if I had to snag a minor beta file for this plugin or not to get it to work :S)
I can not understand this english.
Post you question in the native language, i'll try to translate it.
Old 05-28-2013 , 16:58   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4178

Quote:
Well, the Steam Workshop is a great idea in theory and it does get some things right (some things horribly wrong). Every time I can make a change to a map, the people who are subscribed to my map will get pushed the most recent, up to date version, as well as the servers that are using it. This means you don't get "Your .bsp file doesn't match the servers" kind of errors. Basically, Steam is acting as your FastDL server. However, when it shows that map in the server browser, it shows the current map name for your server as /steamworkshopmapidnumber123/mapname.

So, given that each map number is unique to each map in the Steam Workshop, and it starts with a "/" (which of course, files can't be named with that) it's a bit... interesting. So far, I've also found that map configs for SM:GG never worked. I've posted my escapade on that. I've only had luck getting it to work with prefix files. Being that the map I'm trying to run are my own, and I operate the server, I've been making local fast dl copies for my server, but I would like to look into Steam Workshop integration.

It's fun to see so many people join in when we're running GunGame and say how much they long for the style of GG instead of Arms Race.

(Also, map prefixes aren't controlled on Steam Workshop. You enable what game types work for each map ie: Arms Race, Classic, Deathmatch, etc.)
At this point, it sounds like you are better off keeping local copies of your maps - like you are doing, even though you have to sync them manually every time you tweak the map. I didn't realize that the SM:GG map configs never worked - I never got them to work, so I just use the map specific configs. You should be able to pull something like that off with renamed local files until Steam fixes that, which I doubt they ever will. It seems that Arms Race is their commercial answer to GunGame.

My plugins:
[CS:S] BOT Swat | [ANY] CVAR Randomizer | [CS:S] SM CS:S Tag Beta | [CS:S] Bot2Player
[CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame | [UMC3] Ultimate Mapchooser | [ANY] Server Crontab | [ANY] SM ForceCamera
Bittersweet
Veteran Member
Old 05-28-2013 , 17:01   Re: Release 1.2.12.0
Reply With Quote #4179

Quote:
GunGame is supposed to be safe, or "good to go" for CS:GO, but it does seem that CS:GO users have things break a little more often than us CS:S users.

Edit: I've never heard of anyone having to use beta files, other than occasionally SM beta immediately following a huge break by Valve. Those are usually fixed in a few hours.

My plugins:

Last edited by Bittersweet; 05-28-2013 at 17:03.
herpes
Old 05-28-2013 , 17:32   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4180

Quote:
What exactly does not work?
With my install of CS:GO, SM:GG, and Sourcemod I've found that when it comes to loading specific map configs (such as to use the cvar gg_enable 1 and other features related to the gungame maps like sticky nades, dissolving bodies, knife fights), the values I place in there will never load even with the sm_cvar tag before it. I sat down with another server admin and we tried 2 nights in a row trying to get things to load/work, and we accomplished nothing. We attempted 2 other ways of trying to get specific map configs to load, without success. It was only until we got the map prefix configs working that we were finally able to enable/disable gungame on a map prefix basis to create a Classic Competition/SM:GG mix server, but alas Knifefights and Stickynades are still enabled all the time (which is no biggy, it's an interesting twist).

I was happy to get it working, I pretty much accepted that the problem A: resides between the keyboard and the chair, B: my sourcemod install was wonky or something was interfering, C: I didn't sacrifice a virgin to the gods, or D: there's a ridiculously easy solution that a few other sets of eyes and my own have overlooked, or E: All of the above. Regardless, it's working (somewhat), I'm happy.

However... Being that with Steam Workshop maps the map is listed as /steamworkshopidnumber/mapname it's nigh near impossible to go the map prefix route.

I'm looking into UMC's command section, maybe it can do what I want to accomplish, and it is able to work with Steam Workshop maps with their mapname, and not that long string.

As for the "English, do you speak it?" kind of post, I can speak English, it aren't that hard. I was half out the door when I posted on my phone, sorry Alltex. I was wondering if this version of SM:GG was CS:GO safe, as I couldn't remember if I had used a protobuf/beta version on my server and I didn't have time to glance through the 418 pages of thread. Sorry for the inconvenience and poor, hurried grammar

Last edited by herpes; 05-28-2013 at 17:53.