Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

VSH VSH, old thread (v1.42) - Information/etc.

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

FlaminSarge
Veteran Member
Old 10-01-2012 , 04:53   Re: [TF2] VS Saxton Hale Mode

2nd sentence sounds like a good idea.

All plugins: Randomizer/GiveWeapon, ModelManager, etc.
Post in plugin threads with questions.
Steam is for playing games.
You will be fed to javalia otherwise.
Psyduck likes replays.
Huntereb
>:) (:<
Old 10-03-2012 , 09:59   Re: [TF2] VS Saxton Hale Mode

What is the exact cause of the red X's glitch? Something about caching particles? I only get it on a few maps, (Which after testing the map and finding this, I immediately remove it) but it's still really annoying to have to delete a good map because of this.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-03-2012 , 14:12   Re: [TF2] VS Saxton Hale Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntereb View Post
What is the exact cause of the red X's glitch? Something about caching particles? I only get it on a few maps, (Which after testing the map and finding this, I immediately remove it) but it's still really annoying to have to delete a good map because of this.
As far as we know, yes.

The NoMVM plugin was updated to block the MvM particles from loading on the server side (and I had to compile a new Linux version as the one uploaded in the zip didn't work), but I don't think that fixes the issue on the client side.

On a standard TF2 server, 1006 out of a maximum 1024 particle effects are being loaded. NoMvM pulls this down to around 960 on an FF2 server.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-03-2012 , 16:26   Re: [TF2] VS Saxton Hale Mode

Red X's have two common causes:
  1. A particle embedded in the map (or a custom particle) wasn't able to be loaded on the client. The red X is an analogue to the "error" model file.
  2. The server was unable to precache the particle on it's side and therefore the client never loaded it.

The most common reason for the server not being able to precache the particle is that the stringtable it uses to store a list of precached particles is at capacity and new entries aren't able to be added.

When a particle is precached on the server, the name of the particle is added to a stringtable named "ParticleEffectNames" and the index is given back to the game. This index is used to identify the particle and to conserve networking when particles are created (the server tells the client to display a particle located at index N instead of a long string path).

When a client connects to a server, it receives the entire contents of this stringtable.

If the "ParticleEffectNames" stringtable is full (or even near full) and the server attempts to precache more particles (and therefore add more entries to the stringtable), it will fail and never be added. Because of this, the client will not load the particle, and any code which attempts to use a particle index that should be there (like stock tf2 particles) will display a red X instead.

So in summary: TF2 and plugins are precaching too many particles. Valve likely knows with how many people complain on hlds and hlds_linux and with how many servers are crashing due to other stringtable overflows, so look out for a fix someday.
Old 10-04-2012 , 10:39   Re: [TF2] VS Saxton Hale Mode

While working on updating FF2's code to sync it with VSH 1.39c, I noticed that VSH moved a lot of code from OnMapStart to OnConfigsExecuted.

That's a good idea.

However, for whatever reason, it's still adding files to the download list and precaching them if the map is marked as a VSH map whether or not VSH is actually active... and also manipulating doors.

This may cause problems on multimod servers, since other game modes also use arena maps and any other map types added to the VSH list.

The downloads thing is also an issue for FF2, which means I'm definitely moving the downloads code to OnConfigsExecuted.

Last edited by Powerlord; 10-04-2012 at 11:28.
Huntereb
Old 10-04-2012 , 12:35   Re: [TF2] VS Saxton Hale Mode

Hey, you mentioning doors reminds me of something. On VSH/Arena/KOTH maps, some of the doors randomly open and close on their own. I have a DR map that has a disappearing bridge that the boss triggers, and instead of the boss triggering it, it now appears and disappears on it's own. What is causing this and how do I fix it? It also does this with the doors on vsh_ratssaxy.

Thanks!
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-04-2012 , 13:13   Re: [TF2] VS Saxton Hale Mode

Speaking of bugs, this code strikes me as odd:
PHP Code:
            case 1720436412:
            {
                if (
GetEntProp(weaponProp_Send"m_iEntityQuality") != 10)
                {

TF2_RemoveWeaponSlot(clientTFWeaponSlot_Primary);

SpawnWeapon(client"tf_weapon_syringegun_medic"17110"17 ; 0.05 ; 144 ; 1");
                }
            } 
Basically, it replaces Syringe guns with a customized Syringe Gun. Except if the quality is "customized". The question is... is customized used internally by TF2?

For that matter, why are we not just changing the Syringe Gun properties in TF2Items_OnGiveNamedItem?

Also:

PHP Code:
        TF2_AddCondition(HaleTFCond:424.0); 
What condition is 42? Seeing as how we're up to condition 45 already, 42 had better be something that's defined or else you risk having a real effect added.

Last edited by Powerlord; 10-04-2012 at 14:31.
war100ck
Old 10-04-2012 , 17:50   Re: [TF2] VS Saxton Hale Mode

deleted

Last edited by war100ck; 10-04-2012 at 18:25. Reason: moved in the appropriate topic
FlaminSarge
Veteran Member
Old 10-04-2012 , 19:50   Re: [TF2] VS Saxton Hale Mode

Quality 10 hasn't been used yet. I figure I don't need to replace the syringe gun if it's already replaced.

If the flare guns work properly, I'll move as much as I can over to OnGive. There were issues where OnGive modified weapons would get modified during normal rounds.

If you add to downloads OnConfigsExecuted, there's a chance the clients won't actually download the files, I believe.
I should move precache, however.

I swear the door code is only active on maps that are listed in the config for doors and nowhere else.

Cond 42: 35% defense buff

All plugins: Randomizer/GiveWeapon, ModelManager, etc.
Post in plugin threads with questions.
Steam is for playing games.
You will be fed to javalia otherwise.
Psyduck likes replays.

Last edited by FlaminSarge; 10-04-2012 at 19:52.
Huntereb
Old 10-04-2012 , 20:11   Re: [TF2] VS Saxton Hale Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaminSarge View Post
I swear the door code is only active on maps that are listed in the config for doors and nowhere else.
It appears to be affecting all of my other maps by making the doors open and close automatically. This started happening when I enabled doors.cfg.

Last edited by Huntereb; 10-04-2012 at 20:11.
Closed Thread