Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)

Post New Thread Reply   

MasterMind420
BANNED
Old 08-28-2014 , 18:16   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5473 View Post
Hey,
would someone kindly give me some brief instructions what exactly needs to be done to get all 8 survivors being selectable via the csm menu? I don't want to run 8 survivors at once.. i just want 4 but these 4 should have the option to be any of the 8...
At the moment I have only 4 selectable and these are always the l4d2 ones even in the l4d1 campaigns.. and in the l4d1 campaigns they only take the models.. hands/voices are l4d1.

- does that mean i need "left 4 downtown?" From what I understand I don't need it unless I use any plugins which require the natives it provides (which i don't) or if i want to run with more then 4 survivors. correct?

- do I need to set any cvars? (Do you really need to flip l4d_csm_l4d1_survivors back and forth depending on the campaign?)

I'm using a linux dedicated server.

thanks for clearing this up for me.
You need to set l4d_csm_l4d1_survivors to 1 in the csm.cfg

And to all having problems with zoey im looking into it now, in time there may be a fix.

and to whomever said bill was fixed, unless it happened do to a left 4 dead 2 update, or someone else fixed him in the plugin itself, im pretty sure thats incorrect, the only fix i ever knew of was to make him model only, which isnt a fix but a work around. I spent quite some time on this in the past...
DeathChaos25
Old 08-28-2014 , 19:56   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #652

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind420 View Post
You need to set l4d_csm_l4d1_survivors to 1 in the csm.cfg

And to all having problems with zoey im looking into it now, in time there may be a fix.

and to whomever said bill was fixed, unless it happened do to a left 4 dead 2 update, or someone else fixed him in the plugin itself, im pretty sure thats incorrect, the only fix i ever knew of was to make him model only, which isnt a fix but a work around. I spent quite some time on this in the past...
Bill was fixed via an update by VALVe themselves
MasterMind420
BANNED
Old 08-28-2014 , 20:10   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #653

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChaos25 View Post
Bill was fixed via an update by VALVe themselves
ah see ive been out of the loop for almost a year, but apparantly they broke zoey now hmm...this should be fun to try n fix...
Ellie
Old 08-29-2014 , 00:08   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind420 View Post
ah see ive been out of the loop for almost a year, but apparantly they broke zoey now hmm...this should be fun to try n fix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
Originally Bill is the one that had this similar issue. However, after some time that was fixed and in the process, the data in the binaries shifted and broke Francis and Zoey. Then that was patched up to fix Francis and the data in he binaries shifted again, but Zoey remains broken.

Zoey crashes on Windows because the binaries point to garbage data dealing with her model when that specific netprop has a value of 5. The server will attempt to load it, but fails, and crashes.

In L4D1 (and L4D2 with survivor set 1), the values have always been like this:
0=Bill
1=Zoey
2=Francis
3=Louis

In L4D2 with survivor set 2, the values are like this:
0=Nick
1=Rochelle
2=Coach
3=Ellis
4=Bill
5=Zoey
6=Francis
7=Louis

So basically in L4D2, if you try to use a value that doesn't exist within each specific survivor set, the game will either load garbage data or crash. This is why a value higher than 3 on survivor set 1 is useless. The same applies to values higher than 7 on survivor set 2. There is no data for Nick, Rochelle, Coach, and Ellis in survivor set 1. That's just the way the game is programmed.

If you want Zoey fixed, get a ton of people to file a bug report within the game as XJR15 mentioned.
Sev
Veteran Member
Old 08-29-2014 , 00:31   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #655

Fake Zoey is the only Zoey on Windows, which is what DeathChaos is going for.

Basically another character using Zoey as a Halloween costume, with all her lines and model, but another person wearing the suit.

Linux is the only way you'll get all 8 survivors without an issue, and with a forced survivor set 2, the L4D2 survivors on L4D1 maps, etc.

Last edited by Sev; 08-29-2014 at 00:32.
DeathChaos25
Old 08-29-2014 , 01:38   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Fake Zoey is the only Zoey on Windows, which is what DeathChaos is going for.

Basically another character using Zoey as a Halloween costume, with all her lines and model, but another person wearing the suit.

Linux is the only way you'll get all 8 survivors without an issue, and with a forced survivor set 2, the L4D2 survivors on L4D1 maps, etc.
Exactly.

Although, technically speaking, if we could find a way to send client sided only netprops, we could achieve a more realistic Fake Zoey, as we'd be able to force her icons and arms onto the clients.

Sadly, there seems to be no L4D2 support for Send Proxy Manager, since the only way to load arms/icons seems to be with m_survivorCharacter.
Grimm0429
Old 08-29-2014 , 12:08   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #657

is there any diff csm like where you can get a tank skin ect
id5473
Old 08-29-2014 , 16:41   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #658

meh.. but the long lasting hordes issue still exists at least in l4d1 campaigns.
just played no mercy and the generator room event and the gas station event lasted ages because of this plugin. (everyone played with l4d1 chars and no one switched his model)
no point using this if you spend 5 minutes shooting zombies at every panic event..
DeathChaos25
Old 08-29-2014 , 18:24   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5473 View Post
meh.. but the long lasting hordes issue still exists at least in l4d1 campaigns.
just played no mercy and the generator room event and the gas station event lasted ages because of this plugin. (everyone played with l4d1 chars and no one switched his model)
no point using this if you spend 5 minutes shooting zombies at every panic event..
Are you running Linux or windows?

If you're using Linux, you can use this small plugin instead of csm...

Spoiler

Just type your desired survivor into chat with a ! appended at the start, like,
!zoey for Zoey, !francis for Francis, !nick, etc...

I would also suggest using this cvar in your server.cfg
sm_cvar precache_all_survivors 1

Otherwise, you might get a crash if the desired character's model isn't prechached, I've also attached a precompiled version, because I'm nice like that ;p
Attached Files
File Type: smx chat survivor select.smx (3.6 KB, 200 views)
id5473
Old 08-30-2014 , 05:26   Re: [L4D/L4D2] Character Select Menu (2.5a/b)
Reply With Quote #660

works nice thanks
However I noticed that when someone goes idle, their character reverts back to default and the game seems to forget who you were and you are then unable to re-join and are stuck in spectator mode.

Last edited by id5473; 08-30-2014 at 05:33.