Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Plugins can now use custom colors in chat messages in TF2

Post New Thread Reply   

Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 05-10-2012 , 21:40   Re: Plugins can now use custom colors in chat messages in TF2
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReFlexPoison View Post
Anybody else have my problem when for example, PrintToChatAll is called with \x07###### it shows up in the console as ######Your Message ?
That's a good point. Someone mention it to Valve and they ought to fix it "soon".
Old 05-10-2012 , 21:58   Re: Plugins can now use custom colors in chat messages in TF2
Reply With Quote #12

...and if I'm missing something, is it not possible to create a CVar hooked to a 6digit string so you can customize the hex value via CVar?

\x07HEXVALMessage
while hooking HEXVAL to the CVar
Veteran Member
Old 05-10-2012 , 22:11   Re: Plugins can now use custom colors in chat messages in TF2
Reply With Quote #13

Perhaps it's just fine as (char)\x07(string)value.
Old 05-11-2012 , 03:28   Re: Plugins can now use custom colors in chat messages in TF2
Reply With Quote #14

All I can say is finally!
Old 05-11-2012 , 05:33   Re: Plugins can now use custom colors in chat messages in TF2
Reply With Quote #15

Saigns.de requested support for custom colors while testing the CS:GO dedicated servers 1-2 weeks ago. Perhaps the idea came from there and they test in TF2 at first.

For those who have problems, you have to "activate" colors at first by using \x01:
Code:
PrintToChatAll("\x01The last word is \x07FF0000Red")
Should print "The last word is Red", where Red is colored in Red

Last edited by Tauphi; 05-11-2012 at 05:36.
Send a message via ICQ to Tauphi Send a message via Skype™ to Tauphi
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 05-11-2012 , 06:25   Re: Plugins can now use custom colors in chat messages in TF2
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauphi View Post
Saigns.de requested support for custom colors while testing the CS:GO dedicated servers 1-2 weeks ago. Perhaps the idea came from there and they test in TF2 at first.
I asked Drunken_F00l about it back during the Halloween update, since he was commenting about having to make specific changes for the Monoculus' purple text.

It's just taken 6 months of nagging to get in .
Old 05-11-2012 , 06:35   Re: Plugins can now use custom colors in chat messages in TF2
Reply With Quote #17

Now we have to wait 6 additional months to get this implemented in CS:S, too
SourceMod Developer
Old 05-11-2012 , 06:40   Re: Plugins can now use custom colors in chat messages in TF2
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauphi View Post
Now we have to wait 6 additional months to get this implemented in CS:S, too
To be honest, I'll be surprised if it stays in 2009 (even when CS:S syncs with 2009, it might get blocked in CS:S due to their hatred of plugins disturbing the visual experience), let alone makes it to other branches like CS:GO as servers are already abusing it .
Old 05-11-2012 , 07:18   Re: Plugins can now use custom colors in chat messages in TF2
Reply With Quote #19

How on earth can someone "abuse" text color? Have folks gone full on hurr durr or something? Furthermore, what sort of prude would throw a fit about someone using a certain text color anyway? It's like a race to the bottom with people these days :/
Send a message via Skype™ to xomp
RedM00N
Old 05-11-2012 , 08:06   Re: Plugins can now use custom colors in chat messages in TF2
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomp View Post
How on earth can someone "abuse" text color? Have folks gone full on hurr durr or something? Furthermore, what sort of prude would throw a fit about someone using a certain text color anyway? It's like a race to the bottom with people these days :/
Because I'm sure, although it looks nice, no one wants to have their chat-box spammed with random colors for every line/word like i did here..(players would probably abuse it more than developers...)
And yes, players can use the colors too.

Last edited by RedM00N; 05-11-2012 at 08:08.