Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

A SELECTIVE Introduction to AMXX scripting

Post New Thread Reply   

Zenith77
Veteran Member
Old 05-27-2007 , 13:53   Re: Complete Beginner's Intro to Pawn!
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I've only scanned through the tutorial and there are more inaccuracies than I care to mention. I also believe that the tutorial fails to meet its goal of explaining basic programming concepts.
Well put Lee.
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 05-28-2007 , 14:35   Re: Complete Beginner's Intro to Pawn!
Reply With Quote #12

You guys are right and I fixed what seemed to me as the important issues. I'm sorry commonbullet but I didn't fix the formatting issue. My only suggestion to that note is use "Word Wrap."

I tried fixing all the issues when I read through it that popped out at me and looked into some issues such as get_user_name. I have changed the wording around and moved things because they were inaccurate. I may have overused the word "function" but I used it in different contexts that should be understood because in every case, I do not refer to a method.

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
commonbullet
Veteran Member
Old 05-28-2007 , 15:19   Re: Complete Beginner's Intro to Pawn!
Reply With Quote #13

I don't mean to depreciate your work, but there are too many conceptual problems not only in topics but on text organization itself, I think it confuses beginners instead of helping. It's not only a matter of fixing, maybe you could re-write it with pawn documentation in hand.

http://www.compuphase.com/pawn/pawn.htm#DOWNLOAD_DOCS

Last edited by commonbullet; 05-28-2007 at 15:25.
Send a message via ICQ to commonbullet Send a message via MSN to commonbullet
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 05-28-2007 , 19:21   Re: Complete Beginner's Intro to Pawn!
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonbullet View Post
I don't mean to depreciate your work, but there are too many conceptual problems not only in topics but on text organization itself, I think it confuses beginners instead of helping. It's not only a matter of fixing, maybe you could re-write it with pawn documentation in hand.

http://www.compuphase.com/pawn/pawn.htm#DOWNLOAD_DOCS
I know that is lacking on conceptual organization and topics, but it's not meant to cover all spectrums. I will rename the guide and it's topic title to reflect it's real use. It is not a "Complete Guide to Pawn/AMXX", it's more like a "Guide of simple, basic and what I personally think of as important to a programming language" guide. I am sorry it does not meet some peoples' standards, but I can't please everyone - I tried quite hard to please everyone but it failed as expected. If you have SPECIFIC suggestions/requests/comments/CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, let me know - otherwise please leave me and my topic alone :-).

Constructive Criticism is criticism that will actually make my present topic of higher quality. Thank you to everyone even if you gave more malicious criticism.

Todo list:
Clarify everything more.
Add suggestions.
Re-write with more concepts possibly.
Make it an HTML or pre-formatted text document.

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!