Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Why slowhacking, etc, is bad.

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 09-01-2005 , 00:03   Why slowhacking, etc, is bad.

Okay, I've been seeing way too many requests for plugins that either unbind everyones keys, or screw with cvars until their client doesn't work anymore.

There is no reason for this. Each and every hlds and srcds servers comes with the ability to permanently remove people from your server. It's quick, easy to use, and quite effective. You don't have to "punish" people for cheating. That's valves job. You can remove them from your server, so then they don't bother you anymore.

However, when you begin to screw with their configuration, you can easily hurt people who are just playing the game. Just because *you* think they are cheating, doesn't actually mean they are. Put yourself in their shoes, when a server admin basically denies you the ability to play a game that you bought. Does this seem fair? Should I be able to block you from playing CS because I don't like you? No. I can block you from connecting to my server, because it's my server. However, its not the server admins client to adjust. They don't own it, it's not on their computer.

Guess what? Anyone who doesn't know about CS's configuration files is going to assume you hacked their computer to deny them the ability to play CS. What happens when they complain to your server host that you hacked their computer? You think that your server host is going to ignore them? How about when all 10 of the users you did this to report it? There goes your server. What happens if someone you do this to is the kid of a lawyer, and they sue you for hacking their computer?

I do not want to see any discussion about developing these plugins, or actual releases themselves. It's not a good way to handle the problem. I also don't want to see the "PM me for this plugin" posts either.
Veteran Member
Old 09-01-2005 , 00:35  

A-F*c*ing-men ! End of story. No more posts needed. cept mine
Send a message via AIM to Xanimos Send a message via MSN to Xanimos
v3x
Veteran Member
Old 09-01-2005 , 01:02  

^^,
What am I doing these days? Well, I run my own Rust server. It's heavily modded. If you'd like to join, the ip is 167.114.101.67:28116

I also created a website called Rust Tools. It will calculate and tell you the raw amounts of resources needed to craft items.
Greentryst
WHAT MORE DO THEY WANT?!
Old 09-01-2005 , 01:42  

here we have a relentless idiot for your internet screen

BEFORE devicenull's post: Command to execute commands on client / How to script a menu
AFTER devicenull's post: Make cd tray open and close then computer shut down.
Send a message via ICQ to Greentryst Send a message via AIM to Greentryst Send a message via MSN to Greentryst Send a message via Yahoo to Greentryst Send a message via Skype™ to Greentryst
v3x
Veteran Member
Old 09-01-2005 , 02:52  

Yea, well.. BAIL and I pwnt him so yea..
What am I doing these days? Well, I run my own Rust server. It's heavily modded. If you'd like to join, the ip is 167.114.101.67:28116

I also created a website called Rust Tools. It will calculate and tell you the raw amounts of resources needed to craft items.
Zenith77
Veteran Member
Old 09-01-2005 , 16:06  

I have to thank you device-null. Hopefully this will stop all the "i want to mess up your controls just becuase it fun..hehehe".

And as a suggestion, all exe type plugins should have a feature blocking commands that could( not potientaly, becuase all commands could potientaly ) mess up the clients game or harm the computer.
devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2005 , 16:24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith77
And as a suggestion, all exe type plugins should have a feature blocking commands that could( not potientaly, becuase all commands could potientaly ) mess up the clients game or harm the computer.
Not gonna happen, the plugins are open source, so its not hard at all to remove any restrictions.
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2005 , 16:29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by devicenull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith77
Not gonna happen, the plugins are open source, so its not hard at all to remove any restrictions.
Well you could hard code blocking into the client_cmd() function but that would be up to more people than devicenull
Send a message via AIM to Xanimos Send a message via MSN to Xanimos
twistedeuphoria
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2005 , 16:37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by devicenull
Yeah, but the people who know how to do that are probably intelligent enough to not do it and/or not release it.
Old 09-04-2005 , 21:47  

soory i was one of those noobster that asked how to slowhack i learned its not fun (omg a bug on my screen..gonna kill it ) and it really messes ppl computer sry 4 that
Closed Thread