1% 

Is SMAC still useful nowadays and how heavy is it

Post New Thread Reply   

Obyboby
Veteran Member
Old 11-30-2017 , 02:34   Is SMAC still useful nowadays and how heavy is it
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

I'm getting quite a few comments by some users suggesting me to remove SMAC from my server because it's "outdated", "not required anymore", and it's "resource-heavy", and it's causing lag on my server. (wtf)
Well yeah, my server isn't doing great, but imo that has nothing to do with plugins, it's just the machine but..let's talk about SMAC
Is it true that it's not needed anymore these days?
I was told I could just install a VAC-check plugin on the server instead of the whole SMAC package, but it sounds really dumb to me.
Also, I know quite a few players that have cheated on non-source games but are clean on CS:GO for example. Banning them just for a VAC they got years ago when they were stupid kids and were playing another game doesnt sound smart to me.
I'd like to hear some opinions.. thanks
Old 11-30-2017 , 08:13   Re: Is SMAC still useful nowadays and how heavy is it
Reply With Quote #2

The most resource heavy module is probably the Anti-Wallhack module, but since your signature indicate CS:GO, then the Anti-Wallhack module won't work for you, and you should instead use the built-in "sv_occlude_players" setting of CS:GO.

Being old doesn't mean "useless" or "not required anymore". Being "not required anymore" depends purely on your own ... wishes:

I would personally still keep things such as the ConVar Checker, to check and ban people changing client cvars locally that gives "cheating" effects, such as e.g. sv_cheats 1.

VAC checking and banning cross different engines is as you say, ... some people may have done bad things in the past, but have turned better now..

But you can of course compare the same thing with the real world... Someone who has a record of stealing, but seems to have turned better, would you let him be alone with your most expensive stuff for a few minutes? Some people believe it, and some other people won't, so it is really individual - and you're the only one to make that decision for yourself...

Most of the people that are referring to it as "heavy", "outdated" and/or "not required anymore" are most likely people that are not satisfied, because they cannot activate their wanted cheats properly on your server. That attitude seems to be very common.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
Doulos
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-30-2017 , 08:19   Re: Is SMAC still useful nowadays and how heavy is it
Reply With Quote #3

Lets put it this way ... in the past 2 weeks SMAC has banned 3 players from our server and in each case they were VAC banned the following day. I'd say it is still useful.
Obyboby
Veteran Member
Old 11-30-2017 , 11:51   Re: Is SMAC still useful nowadays and how heavy is it
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne1288 View Post
The most resource heavy module is probably the Anti-Wallhack module, but since your signature indicate CS:GO, then the Anti-Wallhack module won't work for you, and you should instead use the built-in "sv_occlude_players" setting of CS:GO.

Being old doesn't mean "useless" or "not required anymore". Being "not required anymore" depends purely on your own ... wishes:

I would personally still keep things such as the ConVar Checker, to check and ban people changing client cvars locally that gives "cheating" effects, such as e.g. sv_cheats 1.

VAC checking and banning cross different engines is as you say, ... some people may have done bad things in the past, but have turned better now..

But you can of course compare the same thing with the real world... Someone who has a record of stealing, but seems to have turned better, would you let him be alone with your most expensive stuff for a few minutes? Some people believe it, and some other people won't, so it is really individual - and you're the only one to make that decision for yourself...

Most of the people that are referring to it as "heavy", "outdated" and/or "not required anymore" are most likely people that are not satisfied, because they cannot activate their wanted cheats properly on your server. That attitude seems to be very common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulos View Post
Lets put it this way ... in the past 2 weeks SMAC has banned 3 players from our server and in each case they were VAC banned the following day. I'd say it is still useful.
Thanks both of you.
So you'd say keeping all these modules is fine?

Old 12-01-2017 , 12:39   Re: Is SMAC still useful nowadays and how heavy is it
Reply With Quote #5

The ban lists don't work anymore to my experience, but other than that, you're good!
Old 12-02-2017 , 21:10   Re: Is SMAC still useful nowadays and how heavy is it
Reply With Quote #6

You can view the wiki to check the plugin.
https://bitbucket.org/anticheat/smac/wiki/Home
raj kaul
Old 03-29-2018 , 15:09   Re: Is SMAC still useful nowadays and how heavy is it
Reply With Quote #7

i am using antiwall only(change some code and plugin) on my server its working fine...
Old 03-29-2018 , 16:45   Re: Is SMAC still useful nowadays and how heavy is it
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne1288 View Post
sv_occlude_players isn't what you're thinking it is, occlusion is when a player is up against a door their arms and legs wont protrude from the door on the other side.

I think you're thinking of sv_force_transmit_players being set to 0
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 03-29-2018 , 18:19   Re: Is SMAC still useful nowadays and how heavy is it
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
sv_occlude_players isn't what you're thinking it is, occlusion is when a player is up against a door their arms and legs wont protrude from the door on the other side.

I think you're thinking of sv_force_transmit_players being set to 0
From the SMAC "Wallhack" module:

PHP Code:
    if (GetEngineVersion() == Engine_CSGO)
    {

strcopy(errorerr_max"This module is disabled for this game. Enable \"sv_occlude_players\" for the same feature.");
        return 
APLRes_Failure;

From the thread [CS:GO] Is there any working ANTI-Wallhack out there?, questioning the same part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
I think the message is quite clear - the built-in sv_occlude_players does exactly the same function as SMAC's anti-wallhack module (doesn't network occluded players). This is entirely server-side functionality, just because it's built-in instead of a plugin doesn't mean players can bypass it.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].