Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Mysql fo Sourcebans

Post New Thread Reply   

DontWannaName
Veteran Member
Old 02-24-2009 , 04:05   Mysql fo Sourcebans
Reply With Quote #1

I am on a shared hosting environment and my host doesnt allow connections into their mysql server but they allow outbound. All I need it for is Sourcebans so would it be a bad idea to run mysql on my server box? The box itself its pretty full. 4 32 slot TF2 servers per core, a ventrilo server, a 16 slot match server across all the cores when needed and maybe a L4D server. This is all on a Q6600 with 4 gigs of ram. Might I add I have never used mysql before like this, always just used cpanel.

MjrNuT
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-24-2009 , 14:10   Re: Mysql fo Sourcebans
Reply With Quote #2

Hey DWN,

I'm not an expert on this, but I can tell you we are running fine w/ a mysql on the box. Less game servers as you, but I'm not sure its that much different.

We have it for Sbans and other databases actually. I'll PM you if you don't mind.
DontWannaName
Veteran Member
Old 02-24-2009 , 16:17   Re: Mysql fo Sourcebans
Reply With Quote #3

I dont know anything about msql. I installed it but have no idea how to create a database. Im used to cpanel and something graphical.

MjrNuT
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-24-2009 , 17:15   Re: Mysql fo Sourcebans
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontWannaName View Post
I dont know anything about msql. I installed it but have no idea how to create a database. Im used to cpanel and something graphical.
I'll do my best here and maybe someone can correct me if I make a mistake in my guidance.

MySql is typically managed w/ an interface or gui called phpMyAdmin. I guess the operative questions here first:

Linux or Windows, which will then be an installation of LAMP or WAMP. Any of these ring a bell? You can install the MySql all by itself, but typically you want a package install which will include the rest of the stuff.

A = Apache
M = MySql
P = Php

Feel free to email me if you like: [email protected] and I still try what I can with you. Basically, you really just need to have a root account on the MysQl. Most of the things you'll do with it, as I suspect w/ your SourceBans, will take care of creating the tables and such in the MySql.

In a nutshell, MySql is just a super duper bad ass table in which operations can be done within it as well as outside of it using code such as php. Its the holy grail to data management in some respects.
DontWannaName
Veteran Member
Old 02-25-2009 , 01:24   Re: Mysql fo Sourcebans
Reply With Quote #5

Ya, we figured out today that my webhost wont even allow connections to my website for anything. So pretty much I may switch again, I need a webhost on the west coast with good speeds.

SilentJudge
Old 02-25-2009 , 05:56   Re: Mysql fo Sourcebans
Reply With Quote #6

Throw up a phpMyAdmin somewhere and have it connect to your MySQL server. You can create, edit, and delete databases from there.
Old 02-25-2009 , 12:16   Re: Mysql fo Sourcebans
Reply With Quote #7

I am currently using Siteground. http://www.siteground.com/

They allow remote connects, I can stream from the gameserver to the webserver MySQL 5 db. Pretty much anything I need to do, I have been able to with them as my new host.

I do not remember if I was able to select the location. Mine is located in Dallas.