Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Problem with Mapmaking

Post New Thread Reply   

Yalamix
Old 01-25-2012 , 23:17   Problem with Mapmaking
Reply With Quote #1

I made a tfdb map, very simple just to learn. The problem is that the rocket spawning entity doesnt work. I did everything correctly but the rockets didnt spawn when I tested at my friend's server and he had the plugin. I searched for bugs and I found a leak but I dont know if that is the problem that rockets dont spawn. Ill post here soon so you can check it out and tell me what you think and I can do to fix it

Last edited by asherkin; 01-26-2012 at 08:26.
Nikey646
Old 01-26-2012 , 11:57   Re: Problem with Mapmaking
Reply With Quote #2

Hehe, edited by asherkin...i wonder what changed

Onto the topic --
As much as people say, dont use other people's work, try decompiling a previous map and "inspect" there launchers and "compare" the 2, see whats changed, also take a look around in there settings.

Be careful when using maps like tfdb_baseball (unless its the rc1 version) because YellowBlood has actually forced single rockets onto that maps, and on my server, as fun as that is, i really dont want more maps forcing settings that i dont want on my server. With that said, cant wait for the map to be released, i'll throw it onto my server as soon as i see it come up >

Yalamix
Old 01-26-2012 , 13:41   Re: Problem with Mapmaking
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikey646 View Post
Hehe, edited by asherkin...i wonder what changed

Onto the topic --
As much as people say, dont use other people's work, try decompiling a previous map and "inspect" there launchers and "compare" the 2, see whats changed, also take a look around in there settings.

Be careful when using maps like tfdb_baseball (unless its the rc1 version) because YellowBlood has actually forced single rockets onto that maps, and on my server, as fun as that is, i really dont want more maps forcing settings that i dont want on my server. With that said, cant wait for the map to be released, i'll throw it onto my server as soon as i see it come up >
I decompiled some maps like tfdb_castle and tfdb_orangebox_b2 and my entity is exactly like the entity on those maps. I made a new map and I'm posting here. If you can test tell me if it works

Download: http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/163170
Nikey646
Old 01-26-2012 , 13:55   Re: Problem with Mapmaking
Reply With Quote #4

Downloading now, will throw it onto my server try it out, see what happens, and reply.

Btw: due to my internet being a slow ****, this might take an hr ^_^

Also, sending you a pm cuz my friend wants to know something (:

**Edit**

Ok, so i got your map onto my server, and the problem was pretty simple.

L 01/26/2012 - 19:14:59: [SM] Plugin encountered error 25: Call was aborted
L 01/26/2012 - 19:14:59: [SM] Native "SetFailState" reported: No launchers found in map for team 0.
L 01/26/2012 - 19:14:59: [SM] Displaying call stack trace for plugin "tfdodgeball.smx":

When using rcon, and the command sm_dodgeball_rocket red, those appeared. It appears, even tho you have think you have the entities in the map, there isnt.

On further inspection (aka i thought...ok i used red, but does it do the same for blue?) when using sm_dodgeball_rocket blue, there is no error. But im guessing, that because the abuse errors occured, they wont happen again to prevent log spam.

Last edited by Nikey646; 01-26-2012 at 14:19.
Yalamix
Old 01-26-2012 , 17:38   Re: Problem with Mapmaking
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Downloading now, will throw it onto my server try it out, see what happens, and reply.

Btw: due to my internet being a slow ****, this might take an hr ^_^

Also, sending you a pm cuz my friend wants to know something (:

**Edit**

Ok, so i got your map onto my server, and the problem was pretty simple.

L 01/26/2012 - 19:14:59: [SM] Plugin encountered error 25: Call was aborted
L 01/26/2012 - 19:14:59: [SM] Native "SetFailState" reported: No launchers found in map for team 0.
L 01/26/2012 - 19:14:59: [SM] Displaying call stack trace for plugin "tfdodgeball.smx":

When using rcon, and the command sm_dodgeball_rocket red, those appeared. It appears, even tho you have think you have the entities in the map, there isnt.

On further inspection (aka i thought...ok i used red, but does it do the same for blue?) when using sm_dodgeball_rocket blue, there is no error. But im guessing, that because the abuse errors occured, they wont happen again to prevent log spam.
Hm.. Could you help me with that? I would really aprecciate it. Because that map I sent you is my second map, so obviously it wasnt going to work, I dont have the knowledge. Please?
Nikey646
Old 01-26-2012 , 17:55   Re: Problem with Mapmaking
Reply With Quote #6

i dont have any experience with settings up an entity from scratch, and until the 1st, i cant even download Source SDK to even give it a try, for now why not just strip down a bare map like castle and re-create your map around the spawner?

thats the only thing i can think of atm, hope it helps

Yalamix
Old 01-26-2012 , 18:33   Re: Problem with Mapmaking
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
i dont have any experience with settings up an entity from scratch, and until the 1st, i cant even download Source SDK to even give it a try, for now why not just strip down a bare map like castle and re-create your map around the spawner?

thats the only thing i can think of atm, hope it helps
I tried that with orangebox but I had a problem with players spawining. I guess Ill have to with other map
Nikey646
Old 01-26-2012 , 18:54   Re: Problem with Mapmaking
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalamix View Post
I tried that with orangebox but I had a problem with players spawining. I guess Ill have to with other map

make sure to keep notes on there spawn points, each map has different settings, some people try to make it so u cant use features from there maps, or even an entity.

asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 01-28-2012 , 11:01   Re: Problem with Mapmaking
Reply With Quote #9

There is a vmf for an example map included in the first post of the main TFDB thread, along with some more mapping info in the first few pages.

Use this instead of trying to guess from decompiling other people's maps.
Old 01-28-2012 , 18:58   Re: Problem with Mapmaking
Reply With Quote #10

That works to! but i generally prefer the hard way :>