Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

How to learn amxx scripting?

Post New Thread Reply   

nacho312
Old 01-24-2021 , 15:01   How to learn amxx scripting?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello, first sorry if this is not the right section, I just wanna ask, like the tittle says, How can we learn amxx scripting? also does learning c++ makes it easier? are they similar? FYI I'm zero at programming and I really would like to start, Thanks alot for reading!

Last edited by nacho312; 01-24-2021 at 15:02.
Black Rose
Veteran Member
Old 01-24-2021 , 15:28   Re: How to learn amxx scripting?
Reply With Quote #2

Similar or not doesn't really matter. You will always have easier to learn if you know another programming language because you understand a lot of the basics already and can see patterns by looking at others code.

I wouldn't call them extremely similar but they have some things in common. The syntax has similarities (but so does many other languages).

I would recommend AMXXPAWN a good starting point since memory is extremely simplified.
Everything is 32-bit "cells" or an array of them. Integer, strings, floats, booleans... everything. No need for casting.

Start by looking at simple plugins and just write similar plugins yourself. There are also numerous threads on this forum on where to begin.

I recommend trying to write a plugin with a console command that will give you an amount of health, armor, money or similar as your first project. Then it kind of depends on where you want your knowledge to grow.
Old 01-24-2021 , 16:06   Re: How to learn amxx scripting?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
Similar or not doesn't really matter. You will always have easier to learn if you know another programming language because you understand a lot of the basics already and can see patterns by looking at others code.

I wouldn't call them extremely similar but they have some things in common. The syntax has similarities (but so does many other languages).

I would recommend AMXXPAWN a good starting point since memory is extremely simplified.
Everything is 32-bit "cells" or an array of them. Integer, strings, floats, booleans... everything. No need for casting.

Start by looking at simple plugins and just write similar plugins yourself. There are also numerous threads on this forum on where to begin.

I recommend trying to write a plugin with a console command that will give you an amount of health, armor, money or similar as your first project. Then it kind of depends on where you want your knowledge to grow.
Great tips, Thanks very much!
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-24-2021 , 16:58   Re: How to learn amxx scripting?
Reply With Quote #4

First lesson: Search, Search, Search. For example, you might have found that many other people have asked this question or that there is an entire subforum dedicated to tutorials and there is even a thread that lists a bunch of good ones.

Last edited by fysiks; 01-24-2021 at 16:58.
nacho312
Old 01-24-2021 , 17:09   Re: How to learn amxx scripting?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
First lesson: Search, Search, Search. For example, you might have found that many other people have asked this question or that there is an entire subforum dedicated to tutorials and there is even a thread that lists a bunch of good ones.
Yeah thank you!
lexzor
Veteran Member
Old 01-24-2021 , 18:34   Re: How to learn amxx scripting?
Reply With Quote #6

after making some types of plugins that black rose proposed to you above you can try to make some menus and learn to use nvault
Isiah Scott
Old 12-15-2021 , 15:02   Re: How to learn amxx scripting?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
Thank you so much for these recommendations! Your recommendations are really very helpful to me. Believe it or not, switching to something humanitarian helped me a lot while studying amxx scripting. I have read several articles about Shakespeare on the site https://graduateway.com/shakespeare-essay-topics/, and while learning scripting, I often read his works. It helped me a lot morally.

Last edited by Isiah Scott; 12-22-2021 at 05:48.
Cristian505
Old 12-18-2021 , 06:35   Re: How to learn amxx scripting?
Reply With Quote #8

copy-paste
Dragos
Old 12-18-2021 , 08:04   Re: How to learn amxx scripting?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian505 View Post
copy-paste
that's how you do? =]]]

Last edited by Dragos; 12-18-2021 at 08:04.
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 12-18-2021 , 10:08   Re: How to learn amxx scripting?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragos View Post
that's how you do? =]]]
While learning, especially at the beginning, copy-pasting is perfectly fine as long as you try to understand the code. Just don't pretend it is yours, use copy-pasting solely as a learning technique.