Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System v0.5.5.0 Beta

Post New Thread Reply   

raydan
Old 05-03-2010 , 12:00   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System v0.5.4.2 Beta
Reply With Quote #531

you said wait 3 seconds. mean next song must wait 3 seconds, then play? how can you sure user downloaded enough music parts to start playing music?
SirLamer
Old 05-03-2010 , 23:53   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System v0.5.4.2 Beta
Reply With Quote #532

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Any chance of a command such as

jb_playrandom

Where it'll grab a random song and play it? without having to go through a menu to do it, that way you can play it for everyone via console or any way else.
If you type "/jb -all" in chat and then choose random tracks, it will play those tracks to everyone. When I was running a server, I had "sm_jb -all" bound to a key so that I could that quickly. I could add a -random command to make it just play random tracks right away (ie. "/jb -random 5 -all" = play 5 random tracks for everyone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydan View Post
you said wait 3 seconds. mean next song must wait 3 seconds, then play? how can you sure user downloaded enough music parts to start playing music?
Well from what I can tell I think it's safe to expect that adequate buffering will have completed within 3 to 5 seconds of loading. It takes my connection a fraction of a second to buffer each track. Should someone not finish, the program should wait for buffering to finish and then proceed with playback. It will be behind schedule but that's okay as this is a rare case.

As I suggested, the logic should be "WHEN song_buffer >= min_buffer AND timer >= start_wait THEN (start playback)". In most cases "start_wait" will be 0 (milliseconds) and your program will only wait for the buffer condition to pass, which is really no different than the case where the client takes longer than a specified start_wait value to buffer. But, frankly, if it takes longer than 3 seconds to buffer 2 or so seconds of music then I doubt the connection will be able to keep up.

Again, I know very little about how Flash applications are designed and what level of control you have over these things. It is very important that the second and subsequent tracks are pre-buffered a bit before they are scheduled to start. It is much less important that I am able to specify a wait period before the first track. If this one feature is too complicated for you then put it aside and we can address it if and when it is needed.

Plugins: Jukebox for Source
SirLamer
Old 05-04-2010 , 01:08   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System v0.5.4.2 Beta
Reply With Quote #533

By the way, I was thinking about a possible big problem lately.

All of Valve's games are supposed to come out for Mac OS this month. This is part of the reason why Steam switched to WebKit and L4D2 for MOTD. It's possible that Valve will back-patch TF2 and other older games to use WebKit for MOTD in order to make the PC and Mac versions more consistent. If this happens, it will probably break Jukebox. So, this is just another reason why it's important to get Jukebox working in L4D2.

PMAvers
Old 05-04-2010 , 01:26   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System v0.5.4.2 Beta
Reply With Quote #534

Straight-up, I can tell you that it *will* break due to the lack of WMP. Can't load songs via the web interface on my MBP.
DontWannaName
Veteran Member
Old 05-04-2010 , 01:34   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System v0.5.4.2 Beta
Reply With Quote #535

They didnt say they would make CSS part of Mac but TF2 is for sure and I would assume that webkit is coming. Their ads for mac have TF2 all over. If they do port CSS to mac then they will be porting it to OB which has been in the talks for years. I thought they would make CS3 before that.

Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-04-2010 , 22:33   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System v0.5.4.2 Beta
Reply With Quote #536

Well break or no break, im keeping this thing installed. I'll update all updates given and make sure to keep it.
DontWannaName
Veteran Member
Old 05-04-2010 , 23:49   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System v0.5.4.2 Beta
Reply With Quote #537

I noticed that in L4D2, the motd loads before you get ingame while the map is loading so that the page is loaded and not white when you join. I know because of the IE link click sound and because my motd was loaded.

willy1234x1
Old 05-05-2010 , 01:57   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System v0.5.4.2 Beta
Reply With Quote #538

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontWannaName View Post
They didnt say they would make CSS part of Mac but TF2 is for sure and I would assume that webkit is coming. Their ads for mac have TF2 all over. If they do port CSS to mac then they will be porting it to OB which has been in the talks for years. I thought they would make CS3 before that.
Valve stated that all of the Source engine games will be ported to Mac, so I assume that means they'll all be updated to use Webkit in the MOTD over using IE. http://store.steampowered.com/news/3569/

I still say the best method to implement is HTML5 with this change.

Also the CS:S port to OB engine was planned but it caused quite a shitstorm in the community because it'll cut DX7 support (really, people are still using DX7) and people didn't like that they were "Cartooning" their hardcore FPS game (filled with exploits, bugs, and other game ruining problems.)

Last edited by willy1234x1; 05-05-2010 at 01:59.
SirLamer
Old 05-05-2010 , 13:08   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System v0.5.4.2 Beta
Reply With Quote #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy1234x1 View Post
Valve stated that all of the Source engine games will be ported to Mac, so I assume that means they'll all be updated to use Webkit in the MOTD over using IE. http://store.steampowered.com/news/3569/

I still say the best method to implement is HTML5 with this change.
Well, HTML 5 doesn't natively support all the things I need for Jukebox to work. For example, it doesn't even support playlists nor is there any way to natively sequence several tracks, which is amusing. Additionally, there is no way to the browser's player to start playback at some point in the middle of the song. Both of these facts break Jukebox.

That said, I know the needed functions can be achieved with JavaScript and HTML 4, so I'm sure the same is true with HTML 5 and some JavaScript.

willy1234x1
Old 05-05-2010 , 14:37   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System v0.5.4.2 Beta
Reply With Quote #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLamer View Post
Well, HTML 5 doesn't natively support all the things I need for Jukebox to work. For example, it doesn't even support playlists nor is there any way to natively sequence several tracks, which is amusing. Additionally, there is no way to the browser's player to start playback at some point in the middle of the song. Both of these facts break Jukebox.

That said, I know the needed functions can be achieved with JavaScript and HTML 4, so I'm sure the same is true with HTML 5 and some JavaScript.
Yeah, you'd need Javascript to get everything working but then you won't have any issues with having to check for plugins like Flash or WMP.