Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Open Source Half-Life Engine

Post New Thread Reply   

Arkshine
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 07-17-2016 , 05:36   Re: Half-Life engine access
Reply With Quote #11

Speaking of improved HLSDK, it reminds me some russian guys did some improvements/fixes on it: http://aghl.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=689 (client/server, changelog available on svn page)
Old 08-17-2016 , 17:44   Re: Half-Life engine access
Reply With Quote #12

I'd like to make you all aware of this: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife/issues/1739

Considering how useful this would be to AMX/Metamod i think you'll find it very interesting.
gabuch2
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-17-2016 , 20:04   Re: Half-Life engine access
Reply With Quote #13

Is the github even maintained anymore? I even wonder if Alfred still works at Valve.

I think messaging to the proper channels seems more hopeful. Or heck, pulling a crazy stunt of gathering enough people and visiting Valve HQ to meet the team itself.
Old 08-17-2016 , 20:21   Re: Half-Life engine access
Reply With Quote #14

Copying my comment from TWHL:

The only Valve employee that was active before was Alfred, and his one and only bit of activity on Github was publishing another repository. At least other people can comment on it there.

I'm going to add the client side interface requests tomorrow and send the letter that was written up a while ago. If i don't get a response on their SDK email i'll send it to Alfred directly. Failing that, Gabe Newell perhaps?
Neeeeeeeeeel.-
Some Guy Yellin'
Old 08-17-2016 , 21:26   Re: Half-Life engine access
Reply With Quote #15

I love the idea...

Would be nice to have a pettition to sign...

PS: "Open source Half-Life engine" title may get a lot more clics on the thread

Last edited by Neeeeeeeeeel.-; 08-17-2016 at 21:34.
Send a message via Skype™ to Neeeeeeeeeel.-
Solokiller
Old 08-18-2016 , 06:40   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #16

Renamed the thread, thanks for the suggestion.

I've added the proposal for client side interfaces to it as well: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/hal...ment-240686771

I also noted that Steamworks can be used from game code, but i don't know if that's actually legal or not.

I suppose that's also interesting for AMX developers since it grants direct access to Steamworks data and mutable data (tags, etc).

I'm going to send the email now.
PartialCloning
Old 08-18-2016 , 09:23   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solokiller View Post
I also noted that Steamworks can be used from game code, but i don't know if that's actually legal or not.

I suppose that's also interesting for AMX developers since it grants direct access to Steamworks data and mutable data (tags, etc).
Can you provide more details? Perhaps an example of how it could be used?
Solokiller
Old 08-18-2016 , 09:31   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #18

Until i know whether it's legal to use i can't do that. You can do a lot with this kind of access, and that might cause problems.

EDIT: the Source SDK has the Steamworks interfaces, so that's safe to discuss. See this directory for those interfaces: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/sou...c/public/steam

Basically you can directly access stuff like game server settings, peer to peer networking, all sorts of utility systems. If the workshop were enabled, you could access it there (ISteamUGC, User generated Content).

The Steamworks version used by GoldSource is quite old (v1.22, latest is v1.37) and doesn't support all of the latest additions, which is unfortunate. Some of the newer stuff would allow you to write automatic installers for Op4 and Blue Shift content, since you can locate the install directory for any App ID.

I can't tell you how to use it though, if they didn't include it in the Github SDK there must be a reason.

Last edited by Solokiller; 08-18-2016 at 09:47.
Solokiller
Old 08-27-2016 , 15:33   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #19

I received no response from the email i sent to the SDK email address, so i've sent it to Alfred directly.
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 08-28-2016 , 12:30   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #20

Looking at valve website, it looks like any dev works on whatever he wants, so probably sending an email to Alfred won't change anything if he is no longer involved in HL.

Last edited by HamletEagle; 08-28-2016 at 12:31.