Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[TUT] How to overcome some annoying problems on converted models for CS 1.6

Post New Thread Reply   

Costin83
Old 12-26-2011 , 15:06   Re: [TUT] How to overcome some annoying problems on converted models for CS 1.6
Reply With Quote #11

As long as you don't have the source texture, you might want to keep what you have unaltered as much as possible.

Terms:

1. Resize/Scale(up/down): change a picture dimension(s) to a smaller/larger picture size.
2. UpScale: change a picture dimension(s) to a larger picture (stretching it)
3. DownScale: change a picture dimension(s) to a smaller picture.
4. Indexed 256colors: The color depth a texture for HL Engine uses.
5. RGB TrueType 24bit: The maximum color depth a simple picture/texture (single layer, no transparency) can have

Resize, Scale, UpScale, DownScale have nothing to do with color depth of a picture/texture.

If you must scale a 256color texture in any way (that means you don't have the original texture) then you must first convert the texture to RGB True Type 24bit, then do your scaling and after that it's done you convert your texture back to Indexed 256color.

If you have non-standard size textures, you might want to use the most close standard size your texture is near to.
So: If you have a 292X498px texture you will go for a 256X512px texture.
But, if you have a 387X498px texture you will go for a 512X512px texture.

For getting a right texture size there are more things to take in account:
a. Is the texture full size or it was cropped on compiling ?
b. Is the texture used for a small or a big object ?
c. Is the texture filled by the UV-Map or just partially ?
d. Can the full texture be used for a model or just a part of it ?

a. If the texture is full size (not cropped and standard size 128/256/512/etc.) you might want to leave it as is.
If the texture is cropped to 500X508 for example your best choice it's to add borders to fill up to 512X512. Stretching it to 512X512 will just add some artifacts to your texture and will f**ck up the aspect ratio; plus you will loose some quality by converting to 24bit and back to 256color.
b. If your texture is used for small/distant objects you might want to downscale it keeping it's aspect ratio. In other situations, if the texture is small and you want it for a big model upscaling it for example from 256X256 to 512X512 won't help you at all.
c. If you have a texture that is just partially used (UV-Map only covers a small part of your texture) you can use just that part of the texture by cropping it to a standard size that covers your part of the UV-Map.
d. If you for example have a player model texture and you just want to use a part of it think twice. Maybe that texture might be extracted and used for other model that's using the whole texture...
There can be other things to take in consideration but I'm quite in a hurry now and these are the first things that came through my mind right now...

Last edited by Costin83; 12-26-2011 at 15:17.
Send a message via Yahoo to Costin83
albert123
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2012 , 07:31   Re: [TUT] How to overcome some annoying problems on converted models for CS 1.6
Reply With Quote #12

Longtime i didn't visit AM Forum... It's very useful tutorial. Thank Costin83.
Btw, can i use your Tutorial and translate it to other language ? Of course, credit by you.
Old 03-29-2012 , 15:48   Re: [TUT] How to overcome some annoying problems on converted models for CS 1.6
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert123 View Post
Longtime i didn't visit AM Forum... It's very useful tutorial. Thank Costin83.
Btw, can i use your Tutorial and translate it to other language ? Of course, credit by you.
As long as it helps others, you can do whatever you want.
albert123
Veteran Member
Old 03-30-2012 , 02:12   Re: [TUT] How to overcome some annoying problems on converted models for CS 1.6
Reply With Quote #14

Thank for reply... I will use it with right ways !
Old 07-15-2013 , 08:21   Re: [TUT] How to overcome some annoying problems on converted models for CS 1.6
Reply With Quote #15

can someone help me with the Wry neck problem? i just can't fix it is way too hard for me can someone make a video about it
Costin83
Old 07-22-2013 , 11:19   Re: [TUT] How to overcome some annoying problems on converted models for CS 1.6
Reply With Quote #16

Quick fix... Maybe someone else wants it.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z Bear_Guerilla_Fixed.7z (1.99 MB, 110 views)
faqih
Old 09-20-2013 , 21:36   Re: [TUT] How to overcome some annoying problems on converted models for CS 1.6
Reply With Quote #17

I don't know how to fix this wry neck model ,here the model

http://zombie-mod.ru/engine/download.php?id=6397

PLEASE FIX IT ....
kingdom of weird stuff
Old 09-20-2013 , 21:42   Re: [TUT] How to overcome some annoying problems on converted models for CS 1.6
Reply With Quote #18

provide the model not the link. it seems that people need to register to see/download your model, otherwise it shows the main page: http://zombie-mod.ru/.
Old 09-21-2013 , 04:23   Re: [TUT] How to overcome some annoying problems on converted models for CS 1.6
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTICHRISTUS View Post
provide the model not the link. it seems that people need to register to see/download your model, otherwise it shows the main page: http://zombie-mod.ru/.
Attached Files
File Type: zip alien-dog.zip (210.6 KB, 98 views)