Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

View Poll Results: SourceMod Continuation?
Delay. I'd rather wait for you guys to make a very complete product. 25 37.88%
Use Small and make an AMX Mod X port. I still want SourceMod as soon as possible! 41 62.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Public Vote, Discussion Log

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 04-05-2006 , 02:38  

Save for some obvios major differences between HL1 and Source like...graphics, the way text is outputted in different forms, the way menus work, the way client side menus are handled the way rcon is handled (alright that one's close to the same but still) you get the point. It's quite a bit more complex than "just porting it" especially with these REALLY complex plugins like the ATAC, Warcraft, SuperHero, RuneMod etc. etc.

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
Stormsys
Old 04-07-2006 , 18:22  

Ass stated in the IRC chat "As I understand it, Mani_ lacks everything but a scripting engine. And, of course, open source ", i think it would be a good idea then to team up with mani(if they want it that way) and develop a scripting engine with them to make the perfect complete administating tool.

or is sourcemod just gooing to be a HL2 plguin scripting engine with no other fetures?
Stormsys
Old 04-07-2006 , 18:28  

Hey and as i see you need a language, i think the best language to use for simplicity and power would be something close to Viaul basics language structure.

but this would mean making the hole engine yourself your own compiling/optimizer 100% from scratch....
kama
Old 04-10-2006 , 19:25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmongoose
Save for some obvios major differences between HL1 and Source like...graphics, the way text is outputted in different forms, the way menus work, the way client side menus are handled the way rcon is handled (alright that one's close to the same but still) you get the point. It's quite a bit more complex than "just porting it" especially with these REALLY complex plugins like the ATAC, Warcraft, SuperHero, RuneMod etc. etc.
That is not the point...

The reason I voted for small when sourcemod started was that I allready know the language. As I tried to state at that moment was that I need a pluginbased system like AMX and using small makes it easier for me since I dont need to learn a new language.

I have plenty of plugins in amx that I want to port to source, but I cant do that in an easy way. One way would to make them in SMM. But that is not a real option, allthough I probably would be able to make them. It will take too much time. This is tha same if sourcemod chooses other language for their plugins, say like python, tcl or perl.

I rather would have had amxx ported to sm at the beginning. The codebase is there, even if it is not optimal. Once its released, have two trees. One with the amxx-port and one with the new sm. When the new codebase is fit for release, release it as 2.0...
ferret
SourceMod Developer
Old 04-11-2006 , 18:39  

Hums. Most of the basics of WC3 are easy convert. I'm sure the very basic stuff like setting health and such will be fairly similar. I can fix all the menus and such fairly quickly once I know what the difference is.

The "difficult" part is finding HL2 replacements for the various visual affects. In particular, its my understand that there is no character glows in CSS.

I'm still debating whether to convert WC3 XP to a full C++ SourceMM plugin or wait on SourceMod. SM would be quicker to code, but SMM would probably have better performance. But then I have to code all the little things like setting health that are exposed for me in AMXX/SM.
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 04-12-2006 , 11:38  

I think there's someone making a SourceMM plugin of WC3 XP already (they're the one who did the eventscripts version and found eventscripts to be too limiting)

No there's no glow (that I know of) but there is alpha.

If you've ever played the map nippers_opus, nipper created a way to give a glow or have a lightning effect surround a weapon to a certain distance basically placing a colored light or effect positioned around the origin of the weapon, in otherwords it was a moving entity as long as the weapon was picked up (I think), maybe look at how this was done to get an idea on how to possibly create a glow like that?

There's a USP and a P228 in the map, the p228 gives sort of a lightning effect that shows around the holder of that weapon, the USP gives a red glow (using a light)

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
imported_outkast134
Old 04-23-2006 , 22:53  

I don't think sourcemod would be teamed up with any other developers stuff. Maybe some of you don't recall when we used amx mod for CS that basically it had the base dll for the engine in place, and you were able to add/remove/create/customize everything you wanted to on the fly. I've developed a few plugins in the past for the amx system, and while small might be limiting the jist of the concepts behind sourcemod will be far more powerful than something like mani_ admin. There are many people out there that wish that mani would make it so that some of the "extras" could be left out, or that broken stuff would work. I look forward to sourcemod coming out in a script language I am already familiar with so I can once resume work on making my own custom plugins that meet my specific needs, and be able to share them with the reset of the community. I am thankful that mods like mani and beetle are out so that we aren't stuck with nothing, but what needs to be realized is that this is just the beginning.
Send a message via AIM to imported_outkast134 Send a message via MSN to imported_outkast134
GHW_Chronic
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-24-2006 , 00:18  

I don't think too many people see it the way you do, that you want small because you want it to be in something you know. I'm sure not only I but many others would gladly learn to write BAIL's new language, or even an existing language that BAIL decides to use. I do not think the question here is whether or not people are willing to learn a new language, but if we are willing to give up stability among other things for an earlier time of release.
Send a message via AIM to GHW_Chronic
Rectangle
Old 05-02-2006 , 01:25   What ever works the best

All i can say is that i LOVED AMX mod and all its features. I loved being able to install 100s of custom built plugins to my own discrestion and mix and match my servers limitation. I ABSOLUTELY HATE mani admin. I think its lame, its website and interchangeability are awful and the way it is set up is to be a stand alone plugin with very little room for upgrades. Whatever you guys think will work best, do what u want it to do, and get out there for the public use i think you guys should do that. Ive been waiting and waiting for source mod.. so i would like the fast way.. but that depends.. i want you guys to do what u want to do, im not the expert im just a user.
Closed Thread