Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Security Exploit in UAIO Binary

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

BAILOPAN
Old 01-28-2008 , 11:14   Security Exploit in UAIO Binary

It has recently come to our attention that there is an exploited copy of the "UAIO" (Ultimate All-In-One) Plugin being distributed in the wild. It is a special build of UAIO that does not match the original source code, and has been hand-crafted such that any user knowing a secret command can become an administrator.

This incident involves a malicious copy of UAIO that has a secret backdoor. UAIO and AMX Mod X are otherwise normally secure.

In order to protect our users we have released a tool to check your copy of UAIO:

http://www.amxmodx.org/uaio_check.cgi

Simply upload your uaio_admin.amxx file and it will tell you whether it has the exploit. Game Service Providers (GSPs) should check their client's installations.

UPDATE: We have traced this issue to the original UAIO author Robert J. Secord ("xeroblood," "SystemWisdom"), who had been distributing malicious binaries, probably so he could backdoor any server using his plugin. UAIO is currently maintained by Xanimos and thus its binaries are now safe! However, if you find any other software distributed by this person, I would think twice before using it. He clearly cannot be trusted.

This type of abuse is beyond unscrupulous. Under no circumstances is it ever acceptable to post exploited or backdoored binaries on our forums.

Additionally, we have collected a Steam ID of someone that has been using this exploit in the wild. I'm listing them and server operators in the community can decide if they want to blacklist them or not:
Code:
STEAM_0:0:13428340
If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to post them here. Obviously, if you post the actual exploit here, or publicly post any copies of the infected binary, you will be permanently banned.

I would like to thank sawce for finding the exploit, which was no easy task. I would also like to thank Roach who kept this issue alive despite naysaying from yours truly.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited by sawce the snail; 01-28-2008 at 20:03. Reason: fixed steamid
chris
Old 01-28-2008 , 12:22   Re: Security Exploit in UAIO Binary

Oh my god.
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 01-28-2008 , 12:30   Re: Security Exploit in UAIO Binary

Oh, you're right.

I've searched for an old copy on my computer and I've found one ( 1.51 ) ; [ created : friday 6 october 2006, 00:281 | Modified : friday, 15 september 2006, 140:25 ]

Into the package, the UIAO binary file ; [ created : friday 6 october 2006, 00:281 | Modified : sunday 19 august 2006, 01:50:09 ]

As far I remember, I've always downloaded the package from the original topic. ( not a big deal in my case since I'm used to always recompile plugin )

I don't get how the original package has been modified. -_-

Last edited by Arkshine; 01-28-2008 at 12:53.
Roach
Writes love letters to sawce Daily
Old 01-28-2008 , 12:50   Re: Security Exploit in UAIO Binary

The package on the site right now (v1.51 and 1.50) are fine and exploit free, as Bail stated. This will end up making a SLIGHT change in policy as far as closed source .amxx plugins go (for those who are closing off exploits in mods), but that will be announced later on.

We would ALL like to thank the server owners and admins who noticed this and sent us the logs and Steam-Id's of those who were exploiting this. Luckily, there were only a few VERY isolated issues of this that were reported. Giving us those logs and folders gave us the missing pieces of the puzzle that finally allowed sawce to have his ah-ha moment...after, of course, I accused him of screwing something up.

Also, if needed I'm a good character actor and I do parties, and can extract information as needed from people when requested. Please contact if you would like my services.
Now replace the word "good" with "dumb".
What was your rationale for proposing such a thing?
sawce
The null pointer exception error and virtual machine bug
Old 01-28-2008 , 14:28   Re: Security Exploit in UAIO Binary

Hey roach, remember that time when you were all "hey its your fault fix it" and I was all like "liar" and you were all like "nuh uh fix it" and I was all like "no you fix it".

Yeah. Good times.
Old 01-28-2008 , 14:46   Re: Security Exploit in UAIO Binary

Finally found? Awesome awesome.

Good job.
Writes love letters to sawce Daily
Old 01-28-2008 , 15:37   Re: Security Exploit in UAIO Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawce View Post
Hey roach, remember that time when you were all "hey its your fault fix it" and I was all like "liar" and you were all like "nuh uh fix it" and I was all like "no you fix it".

Yeah. Good times.
And remember the time you were like, "It's your birthday?" and I was all like, "Yeah!" and you were like, "I'll send you money for a beer!" and you never did?

Yeah, bad times there. .
Now replace the word "good" with "dumb".
What was your rationale for proposing such a thing?
PM
hello, i am pm
Old 01-28-2008 , 16:19   Re: Security Exploit in UAIO Binary

Congrats!

I would never have thought that this would happen, and not at all that xeroblood would do it :-O
Old 01-28-2008 , 17:28   Re: Security Exploit in UAIO Binary

Wow, thanks a lot for the information! Very interesting.
Old 01-28-2008 , 17:41   Re: Security Exploit in UAIO Binary

Would there be any way to check his other plugins? I use the rs_swearfilter written by xeroblood and I love the way it works. Can you set up a test for this file as well?

Like GunGame? Visit www.gungame.org today!
Earn Admin just by playing at GunGame.Org Servers!

Come visit our GunGame.Org server at 174.34.146.107:27015
Closed Thread