Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

1 core per 1 Server?

Post New Thread Reply   

makaruxx
Old 06-02-2017 , 16:43   1 core per 1 Server?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

I have a question. Currently I have an Game Root from SoYouStart which is an i7-4790k @ 4/4,4ghz. https://www.soyoustart.com/us/game-servers/ Ontop of that, we are using this Webinterface to manage our Servers: https://easy-wi.com/ This is a very nice easy to use open source Webinterface which is working very well and it does everything we need.

This Game Root has 4/8 Cores/Threads. So 4 real Cores and 4 Threads. When I bind 1 Server on 1 Core, mathematically I can host 4 Servers on that Root, right? Or can I host 8 Servers because I have 8 Cores? The CPU Usage is going to 35%~ when 10 Players playing on it which is very low. Is it an good idea to bind a Gameserver on the 5th "Core"? On this Webinterface I have 8 Cores to bind. But 4 of them are just threads I think: http://prntscr.com/ff7zgg

I need to mention we dont host Public Servers. We only host 128 Tic War Servers. We are using a custom made kernel for it.

The weird thing is, when I bind a Gameserver on the 5th core or 6th core, which should be only a "thread", it runs also very good with 10 players somehow.. CPU usage also 35%~ .... I dont understand this Cores/Thread thing... Usually the Gameserver has to run shitty when I bind it only on a "thread core"? Maybe someone can explain it to me and how much Gameserver I should host on that Root. I mean its not a bad Root, its realy good from CPU and RAM Based.

Im using Debian 8.7 64bit stable.

Some help would be appreciated

Last edited by makaruxx; 06-02-2017 at 16:52.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-02-2017 , 18:45   Re: 1 core per 1 Server?
Reply With Quote #2

It's more practical to run 1 server for every core; however, I have no problem running 8 servers (1 per thread) on Debian 8 with the same setup as you.
makaruxx
Old 06-02-2017 , 18:46   Re: 1 core per 1 Server?
Reply With Quote #3

Okey thats what I wanted to know. But what you mean with "It's more practical to run 1 server for every core"?
So its not recommended but it will work.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-02-2017 , 18:48   Re: 1 core per 1 Server?
Reply With Quote #4

Correct. If you're using a high player count with a high tickrate it's not a good idea to burden the core.
makaruxx
Old 06-02-2017 , 18:49   Re: 1 core per 1 Server?
Reply With Quote #5

I mean, im hosting only War Server with 128 Tic. So when 10 players are on the server, even with bots, the 1 CPU Core only goes to 35%~ and not even higher...If its like a b-rush, the cpu will go maximum i think to like 80% when everyone is shooting each other and thats fine i think.

Last edited by makaruxx; 06-02-2017 at 18:49.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-02-2017 , 19:06   Re: 1 core per 1 Server?
Reply With Quote #6

Give it a try, but from what you're saying there shouldn't be a problem.
makaruxx
Old 06-02-2017 , 19:09   Re: 1 core per 1 Server?
Reply With Quote #7

I just tried to run a 32 Slot Server with full bots on 128 Tic and I tried to bind it on 1 Core, everything is red. When i Disable it and do the same, SRCDS will choose 1 Core... CSGO Server dont use more then 1 core somehow..

Is this normal?
8guawong
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-03-2017 , 05:07   Re: 1 core per 1 Server?
Reply With Quote #8

yes
sphinx
Old 06-04-2017 , 01:25   Re: 1 core per 1 Server?
Reply With Quote #9

Don't bind server to core, the OS will handle very well the assignment.
You can host as many servers as cores you have, NOT threads, because a server runs on a core not on a thread.
No one can run 32 slots with 128 tick without getting red; lower the slots number till you get back to normal and live with that number.

Last edited by sphinx; 06-04-2017 at 01:26.
headline
SourceMod Moderator
Old 06-04-2017 , 01:38   Re: 1 core per 1 Server?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
Don't bind server to core, the OS will handle very well the assignment.
Seriously. Do not do this. The Operating System is very good and deciding which core/thread to run the process on. Limiting it to one thread will vitally cripple your server performance. You tried it and saw for yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
You can host as many servers as cores you have, NOT threads, because a server runs on a core not on a thread.
There's no distinction between a core and a thread on an operating system level. Thus, this statement breaks down.

Run one server for every core (including thread) of your CPU.
4 cores 8 threads? Feel free to run 7 servers. The eighth might slow your system down since background processes may need it.

Last edited by headline; 06-04-2017 at 01:40.