Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

After clean install of server, I'm being told it's out of date...

Post New Thread Reply   

pabertay
Old 10-07-2023 , 11:09   After clean install of server, I'm being told it's out of date...
Reply With Quote #1

My Google searches for this issue haven't provided much help, so wondering if someone here has any sage advice.

I'm looking to get a dedicated server up and running locally on my Windows 10 machine. I have followed the steps on this page. When I start the server, I get the following:

Code:
♥MasterRequestRestart
Your server is out of date. Please update and restart.
I find this strange as this is a fresh server install, and the validation process raised no concerns. Regardless, I go back to steamcmd, point at the server location using 'force_install_dir' and use the 'update' command just to be sure. Again, running the server results in the out of date message.

So—considering it might be my own incompetence using command line—I deleted the server directories and tried installing, then running, a server using the GUI tool. Yet again, running the server results in the same message.

Has anyone had success in overcoming this issue?

I am not the owner of the computer I am trying to achieve this on (it's borrowed from my institution) but I am going to request if I can do a clean install of Windows and see if that helps at all, but in the mean time I thought I should ask in case someone can make a simpler suggestion here.
asdfxD
Veteran Member
Old 10-07-2023 , 13:57   Re: After clean install of server, I'm being told it's out of date...
Reply With Quote #2

that's because of csgo is cancelled and now we have cs2 (Appid 730).
Wizzardoff
Old 10-08-2023 , 08:00   Re: After clean install of server, I'm being told it's out of date...
Reply With Quote #3

But theres still a lot of csgo servers online and working,any info how to make it work?
CryWolf
Veteran Member
Old 10-08-2023 , 08:27   Re: After clean install of server, I'm being told it's out of date...
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzardoff View Post
But theres still a lot of csgo servers online and working,any info how to make it work?
Im pretty sure they all have that error, but this doesn't prevent the server from being listed on Valve Master Server.
Send a message via MSN to CryWolf Send a message via Yahoo to CryWolf
pabertay
Old 10-09-2023 , 05:38   Re: After clean install of server, I'm being told it's out of date...
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfxD View Post
that's because of csgo is cancelled and now we have cs2 (Appid 730).
As far as I understand, 730 is the app ID for the CS client and 740 is for the CS dedicated server (see here). This was true for CS:GO, before the launch of CS2.

This shouldn't really matter either; say I wanted to run a dedicated server for CS2 and I am taking this approach—surely I should just be able to download the latest version and run it? Unless Valve aren't supporting the dedicated server app for CS2 right now... (I suspect this is the case)

I saw this thread on reddit and it looks like you can run a server using the client itself. So I will try that avenue.
asdfxD
Veteran Member
Old 10-09-2023 , 06:22   Re: After clean install of server, I'm being told it's out of date...
Reply With Quote #6

both is possible. in windows just install steam client in same way as on your computer and download cs2, than you can start a server or you download cs2 through steamcmd.

i use linux currently and download cs2 server with steamcmd.

force_install_dir /home/gameserver/cs2
login steamuser password
app_update 730 validate

this works in windows also.

force_install_dir c:\gameserver\cs2\
login steamuser password
app_update 730 validate

Last edited by asdfxD; 10-09-2023 at 06:23.
pabertay
Old 10-09-2023 , 06:35   Re: After clean install of server, I'm being told it's out of date...
Reply With Quote #7

Thanks for the quick reply and clear instructions.

I wonder would you know how to use steamcmd to download the beta branch? This community guide for Insurgency has a '-beta' flag in the steamcmd 'app_upgrade' line, e.g. 'app_update 222880 -beta beta validate'. My guess here is 'beta' is the name of the beta branch intended for download.

So for CS:GO I imagine you'd use something like 'app_update 730 -beta 1.38.7.9 validate'. I have tried this and something is downloading, but since I took a blind guess at the beta branch name I suspect I'm just downloading the regular CS2 client. I hope this make sense.

Do you have any suggestions? I could try the full name of the beta branch from the dropdown menu in the Steam 'Beta Participation' menu, but as I'm not overly familiar with using command line I ask how would I write that?

Would it be: 'app_update 730 -beta "csgo_demo_viewer - 1.38.7.9" validate'?

EDIT: After a bit of digging it looks like I should use 'app_update 730 -beta csgo_demo_viewer validate'. I will report back if this works.

Last edited by pabertay; 10-09-2023 at 06:51.
asdfxD
Veteran Member
Old 10-09-2023 , 06:56   Re: After clean install of server, I'm being told it's out of date...
Reply With Quote #8

i don't know the exactly way to download betas, i never did it sorry but 740 is stil csgo and 730 cs2.

it downloads csgo, but beta? i dunno.

it works fine. i downloaded demo viewer in my steam client (cs2) and i can connect to the server.

Last edited by asdfxD; 10-09-2023 at 07:27.
pabertay
Old 10-09-2023 , 07:27   Re: After clean install of server, I'm being told it's out of date...
Reply With Quote #9

I understand how I have created confusion, but I am taking the 730 route. I am ignoring the 740 dedicated server app because as you point out, it is now obsolete for the 730 client.

It seems you can type in any name for the beta branch and a download will start. Earlier I tested 'app_update 730 -beta fakeversion validate' (literally type 'fakeversion') and a download started, so my guess is that it just defaults to the main 'public' branch if the beta branch name is not recognised.

I'm confident 'csgo_demo_viewer' will work, based on the way branches are listed here. 30% downloaded at the time of writing, will update once I can attempt to run the server.

Last edited by pabertay; 10-09-2023 at 07:27.
asdfxD
Veteran Member
Old 10-09-2023 , 07:38   Re: After clean install of server, I'm being told it's out of date...
Reply With Quote #10

thats what i did. i downloaded the server with appid 740 -beta 1.38.7.9 validate and in my steam client at cs2 i select csgo_demo_viewer 1.38.7.9 and now when i start cs2 i can select cs2 or demo viewer. so i choose demo viewer and load the old csgo and can connect to my 740 server and playing csgo and not cs2.

edit: 730 downloading both, csgo and cs2 (game) dir.

Last edited by asdfxD; 10-09-2023 at 07:50.