Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Quick questions about databases.cfg and timeout setting.

Post New Thread Reply   

MaloModo
Veteran Member
Old 09-28-2016 , 17:45   Quick questions about databases.cfg and timeout setting.
Reply With Quote #1

So I have been finally going through the process of this error around sourcebans.

User xxxx already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

It appears I am allowed only 15 through myadmin in CP. Anyhow, I have talked to my host in the past and typical stuff to suggest and saying really should be enough. I tried everything they suggested that I could access, etc and no luck.

I just "ignored" the error for months but lately getting "annoying" again so here I am. Before I contact my host again and basically just ask to them increase my max connections I thought I would try a few more things.

So my question is what does the setting "timeout" do specifically in soucrcemod config for connection to (remote) database. And/or what settings might be recommended in this config file or perhaps sourcebans.cfg.

Cheers.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-28-2016 , 18:38   Re: Quick questions about databases.cfg and timeout setting.
Reply With Quote #2

The problem here is much more likely to be on the web side unless you're running multiple game servers. You can't avoid needing 1 connection per game server, the amount used by your web server will vary based on how it is configured. 15 is rather low as a max limit.
Old 09-29-2016 , 14:49   Re: Quick questions about databases.cfg and timeout setting.
Reply With Quote #3

Yeah I talked to support and they unwilling to increase max connections on my plan. Of course suggested going to VPS. Just fyi atm running soucrebans on 5 servers, with as far as I can tell, probably 4 or 5 connections from each server (~20-25 active connections to database). I did check it said there was 22 I believe.

I will post in SB and see if anything can be down. Otherwise will bit the bullet and upgrade/switch hosts. Anyone know a "good" host?
MaloModo
Veteran Member
Old 09-30-2016 , 04:32   Re: Quick questions about databases.cfg and timeout setting.
Reply With Quote #4

EOD I asking technically what SM does with the timeout command if anything. Peace.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-30-2016 , 04:52   Re: Quick questions about databases.cfg and timeout setting.
Reply With Quote #5

It is used to set the connect, read, and write timeouts in the MySQL connector library - it will not affect total connection usage.

https://github.com/alliedmodders/sou....cpp#L105-L107
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/...l-options.html

You need to look at the output of "SHOW FULL PROCESSLIST" and see what connections are active.

Last edited by asherkin; 09-30-2016 at 04:53.