Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[TF2] Custom Navigation Meshes Wanted

Post New Thread Reply   

PC Gamer
Veteran Member
Old 12-04-2020 , 01:05   [TF2] Custom Navigation Meshes Wanted
Reply With Quote #1

I'm looking for a source of custom navigation meshes for Team Fortress 2. If you have a source please share.

Background: I have over 400 maps on my server that run with Bots. Those maps have a navigation meshes that were typically created with "sv_cheats 1" followed by "nav_generate".

Issue: Stock navigation maps aren't very good. On several maps the Bots will foolishly run into the walls in the spawn and never leave. A great example of this is the new pl_wutville_event map. Blue Bots will eventually stop leaving the first Blue spawn room.

Solution: Find a source of custom edited navigation meshes. Use those on my server.

Again, if you have a source for custom .nav files please share.
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 12-04-2020 , 21:58   Re: [TF2] Custom Navigation Meshes Wanted
Reply With Quote #2

Yeah; pregenerated navigation meshes aren't the greatest -- I would've honestly preferred it if Valve didn't bother generating any.

If you'd like to learn how to modify navigation meshes, I usually point towards this Steam guide. I used their meshes back when SUF / Facepunch was around; not sure where to get them now.

Specifically for Wutville, you'll want to select the areas near BLU forward spawn and mark them as either TF_MARK DOOR_NEVER_BLOCKS or TF_MARK UNBLOCKABLE. The spawn door is marked as blocked after first cap.

Last edited by nosoop; 12-04-2020 at 22:05.
PC Gamer
Veteran Member
Old 12-04-2020 , 22:28   Re: [TF2] Custom Navigation Meshes Wanted
Reply With Quote #3

Thanks nosoop. I'll give that a try. You'd think after 13 years there would be a repository of custom navigation meshes for people to share. However, I'm painfully aware that most people seem to like playing the same 2fort, turbine, or orange maps forever instead of exploring new maps.
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 12-04-2020 , 23:42   Re: [TF2] Custom Navigation Meshes Wanted
Reply With Quote #4

Correction: 11 years; the nextbot system didn't launch with the game.

Definitely true though -- even RCBot2, with its tiny community, still has waypointers for recent-ish maps.

Can't say the same for TFBot navmeshes, though I wonder if it's because:
  • it's difficult to quality check different versions - for example, sometimes navareas are generated over killzones or outside the play space, which are good to remove for size efficiency but don't affect bots in a noticeable way
  • if the few people putting effort into modifying meshes don't care to publish them
I fall under the latter category, since I feel there's no mutual benefit aspect for the hours of effort I've put into fine-tuning meshes - it's mainly a selling point for my server.

Last edited by nosoop; 12-05-2020 at 04:48.
Zhiris
Old 12-10-2020 , 21:08   experienced nav creator
Reply With Quote #5

Hey PC Gamer I believe I can help you out on your request.
I've nav'd over 100 maps in total and I actually achieved some unachievable Nav's which sounds weird when you talk about something which players quickly "nav_generate" in general.

I actually Nav most of the maps on all the servers I run since my servers really rely on Bots at first when player numbers are low.
A good Nav does wonders for how playable a map is with bots and gives a better quality improvement gameplay wise compared getting the bots plugins to improve them in general, hence why I have some maps where I spend incredible long hours in making custom ones (5 hours in general if you talk about a Stock map)

Maybe I can provide some of the maps you need' Got the same user name on Steam.
PC Gamer
Veteran Member
Old 12-12-2020 , 00:17   Re: experienced nav creator
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhiris View Post
Hey PC Gamer I believe I can help you out on your request.
Thanks for the offer! I left you a message on your discord server.