Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[CS:GO] Server Lag, Possibly Extensions(?)

Post New Thread Reply   

destroyer6171
Old 07-26-2016 , 04:53   [CS:GO] Server Lag, Possibly Extensions(?)
Reply With Quote #1

Hello all,

I have been having a lot of recent lag spikes which seem to be getting a tad worse and I am not sure as to why. I have been trying to diagnose the problem as much as possible. I am not a coder nor do I understand the SourcePawn language as my community has recently moved from Garry's Mod.

I have good understanding with servers and how to maintain them however this current situation is beyond me. I am starting to wonder if having both the .dll and .so files would make it lag? The reason for this was we moved our dedicated server from windows to linux for a more structured network and I am unsure if SourceMod tried to use them both.

I do get a few socket errors here and there, but that may just be from plugins which are running. I have tried a lot of things such as disabling all the plugins other than the main ones we need, we are now trying hosting the MySQL locally with our game servers to reduce latency also.

Our next move is looking like we will need to contact developers to fix up the main plugin as this is what it seems like it is looking, we have tried to contact the developer of the main plugins, however returned with no luck.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or answers.
Aymeric VII
BANNED
Old 07-26-2016 , 05:21   Re: [CS:GO] Server Lag, Possibly Extensions(?)
Reply With Quote #2

you see a 30-50% performance dip moving to linux as srcds generally runs better on windows.

Last edited by Aymeric VII; 07-26-2016 at 05:22.
destroyer6171
Old 07-26-2016 , 05:34   Re: [CS:GO] Server Lag, Possibly Extensions(?)
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymeric VII View Post
you see a 30-50% performance dip moving to linux as srcds generally runs better on windows.
Thanks for the input, however we require Linux for our networking rules. We saw the complete opposite when we moved over and saw that it was running better on Linux (CPU wise). Our CPU usage used to spike up to 100% most days however we only see this happen once a week or so.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-26-2016 , 09:20   Re: [CS:GO] Server Lag, Possibly Extensions(?)
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymeric VII View Post
Let's not have the debate about Windows vs Linux again, it's a waste of bits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer6171 View Post
Thanks for the input, however we require Linux for our networking rules. We saw the complete opposite when we moved over and saw that it was running better on Linux (CPU wise). Our CPU usage used to spike up to 100% most days however we only see this happen once a week or so.
To answer your one question, having both .dll and .so will do nothing more than take up minimal space, as only a Windows machine will load the .dll and only the Linux machine will load the .so.

If you would further help, you will need to explain more about what this lag is and some screenshots or logs to go along with it, such as netgraph, server rates and error logs.
destroyer6171
Old 07-26-2016 , 09:28   Re: [CS:GO] Server Lag, Possibly Extensions(?)
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post
To answer your one question, having both .dll and .so will do nothing more than take up minimal space, as only a Windows machine will load the .dll and only the Linux machine will load the .so.

If you would further help, you will need to explain more about what this lag is and some screenshots or logs to go along with it, such as netgraph, server rates and error logs.
Thanks for your consideration, it seems to be sv which goes red but that happens anyway without generating lag. It's sort of a spike and sometimes the server just freezes and gives you the disconnect message and then comes back again. I honestly haven't a good way of describing it.

The server has crashed a few times and here's the crash log if it means anything to you at all.

Last edited by destroyer6171; 07-27-2016 at 06:26.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-26-2016 , 09:34   Re: [CS:GO] Server Lag, Possibly Extensions(?)
Reply With Quote #6

May we also get your server specs as well?
Would you perhaps be running the DHooks extension?
It looks like you are using DHooks, and from what I've looked up so far, that could be the cause of your issue(s).
Try running your server without plugins that depend on that extension and see if that issue continues.

Last edited by Maxximou5; 07-26-2016 at 09:36. Reason: minidump read
destroyer6171
Old 07-26-2016 , 09:38   Re: [CS:GO] Server Lag, Possibly Extensions(?)
Reply With Quote #7

Intel Xeon E3-1231V3, 3.4Ghz
16 GB ECC RAM (2x8GB)
1 x 250GB SSD / 1x 1TB HDD
1 x Gbps network port
Unlimited bandwidth
Optional DDoS Protection (500 Gbps)
KVMoIP included
1 x IPv4 included
1 x IPv6 included
Linux as standard, Windows options available

Which I believe is adequate. Oh really, I do remember dhooks being used for something however I am not sure if I removed it or not. Is there any way to find out if a plugin is using an extension?

EDIT: We've also been monitoring our CPU, Networking and Disk Performance whilst the occurance happens, all of which are normal.

Last edited by destroyer6171; 07-26-2016 at 09:42.
Cooky
Veteran Member
Old 07-26-2016 , 10:31   Re: [CS:GO] Server Lag, Possibly Extensions(?)
Reply With Quote #8

Try to remove the Dhooks extension. Maybe your error logs will say which plugins fail to load. Not sure...
destroyer6171
Old 07-26-2016 , 11:32   Re: [CS:GO] Server Lag, Possibly Extensions(?)
Reply With Quote #9

Just a quick update, I have removed DHooks and the server is still spiking every so often.
Aymeric VII
BANNED
Old 07-26-2016 , 15:04   Re: [CS:GO] Server Lag, Possibly Extensions(?)
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post
I dont recall ever having a windows vs linux "debate" with anyone or anywhere on this forums, you got the wrong guy. But anyways its complete facts, nothing to debate either way.

Last edited by Aymeric VII; 07-26-2016 at 15:04.