Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

SM Ext & VS: Compiling specific files only for specific profiles

Post New Thread Reply   

Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-18-2011 , 09:55   SM Ext & VS: Compiling specific files only for specific profiles
Reply With Quote #1

Is there an (easy) way to have Visual Studio (2k8 or 2k10) only compile specific files for specific profiles?

SourceMod's default extension project has different profiles for different game engines, and I only want specific files included for specific versions of the engine.

Normally I wouldn't care, but if I don't do this, I get errors because I declare the same SourceHook in different files that have the same parent class:

Code:
Error    1    error LNK2005: "int __cdecl __SourceHook_FHAddIServerGameClientsClientCommand(void *,enum SourceHook::ISourceHook::AddHookMode,bool,class fastdelegate::FastDelegate2<struct edict_t *,class CCommand const &,void>)" (?__SourceHook_FHAddIServerGameClientsClientCommand@@YAHPAXW4AddHookMode@ISourceHook@SourceHook@@_NV?$FastDelegate2@PAUedict_t@@ABVCCommand@@X@fastdelegate@@@Z) already defined in BuiltinVoteStyle_L4D_Base.obj    BuiltinVoteStyle_TF2.obj    sdk
(and other errors, but I figured I'd show one)

Moving the declaration gets me errors about not finding the function when I try actually hooking it:
Code:
Error    1    error C3861: '__SourceHook_FHAddIServerGameClientsClientCommand': identifier not found    d:\projects\sourcemod\libs\sourcemod\public\builtinvotes\builtinvotestyle_l4d_base.cpp    38    sdk
unless I move it to the parent class, in which I get the already defined bit again.

Last edited by Powerlord; 10-18-2011 at 11:24.
BAILOPAN
Old 10-18-2011 , 15:20   Re: SM Ext & VS: Compiling specific files only for specific profiles
Reply With Quote #2

You can #ifdef an entire file - you could also open the project file with a text editor and try to see if it's possible manually.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-18-2011 , 15:33   Re: SM Ext & VS: Compiling specific files only for specific profiles
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
You can #ifdef an entire file - you could also open the project file with a text editor and try to see if it's possible manually.
I was hoping to avoid ifdefing the entire thing, but I suppose I could do that if I must. I know for Linux I was intending to adjust the list of .cpp files the Makefile uses for various profiles.

BAFFLED
Old 10-18-2011 , 15:57   Re: SM Ext & VS: Compiling specific files only for specific profiles
Reply With Quote #4

In Visual Studio 2010 (maybe earlier versions as well?), you can right-click the file and choose properties, and then select "Yes" for "Excluded From Build". The setting is configuration-specific.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-18-2011 , 16:22   Re: SM Ext & VS: Compiling specific files only for specific profiles
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
In Visual Studio 2010 (maybe earlier versions as well?), you can right-click the file and choose properties, and then select "Yes" for "Excluded From Build". The setting is configuration-specific.
I like this solution a lot better than ifdef'ing.

I'll have to check later if 2008 also supports it.

I tried Googling to see if this feature existed, but apparently my Googlefu was weak.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-19-2011 , 10:34   Re: SM Ext & VS: Compiling specific files only for specific profiles
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
It does indeed work with 2008.

Although I accidentally chose Exclude From Project on the dropdown first (whoops, properties page first to get the correct Exclude).

I'm already using #ifdef to decide which to include in extension.cpp and which object to instantiate, so this *should* in theory work. I'll test it after I've written the other classes to find out.

Last edited by Powerlord; 10-19-2011 at 10:36.