Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] Zombie Fortress (Perks [v4.2.0.16] / Vanilla [v4.0.6.4])

Post New Thread Reply   

dirtyminuth
Old 03-16-2011 , 18:26   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress (Perks [v4.2.0.15] / Vanilla [v4.0.6.4])
Reply With Quote #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavintlgold View Post
The Carpenter perk stacks too easily on very full servers (18 or so survivors). It would be good if there was a limit to blockades placed in the same vicinity or something.
I'll take a look at some solutions to reduce barricade overcrowding. For now, I would recommend you use sm_zf_perk_limit to limit the carpenter perk to something reasonable (3 to 4).
Old 03-16-2011 , 23:09   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress (Perks [v4.2.0.15] / Vanilla [v4.0.6.4])
Reply With Quote #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyminuth View Post
I'll take a look at some solutions to reduce barricade overcrowding. For now, I would recommend you use sm_zf_perk_limit to limit the carpenter perk to something reasonable (3 to 4).
Thanks, that ought to help.
Old 03-19-2011 , 08:43   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress (Perks [v4.2.0.15] / Vanilla [v4.0.6.4])
Reply With Quote #143

I jumped back into mapping since I got a new computer, I had to restart mostly.... but, my first map is fully functional (again) now.

Does anybody here know where I could post a zf map for alpha testing?

I'm so close to releasing my first map! I tried it with one of my friends and it works perfectly (gameplay wise) on his server, but he's not always online to host the server and people are having troubles downloading the map because of his connection, so our highest player count was sadly 6, maybe 7.

And my map is designed for large numbers. (20-32 players)

I need a community or person with a server that can host my map externally for faster downloads, and who would be kind enough to test it for a pre-determined scheduled day while I'm online and playing in it (for feedback, peer review and constructive criticisms.) which I need alot at this stage.

(On a side note: packrat and vbct is awesome.)

Last edited by Vladimir Van Vodka; 03-19-2011 at 09:04.
gavintlgold
Old 03-19-2011 , 20:50   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress (Perks [v4.2.0.15] / Vanilla [v4.0.6.4])
Reply With Quote #144

Vladimir, we at critsandvich have been looking for new maps for our fun server. If you're interested please add me on steam (gavintlgold username)!
Old 03-20-2011 , 09:25   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress (Perks [v4.2.0.15] / Vanilla [v4.0.6.4])
Reply With Quote #145

Quote:
Vladimir, we at critsandvich have been looking for new maps for our fun server. If you're interested please add me on steam (gavintlgold username)!
thanks alot, I'll add you as soon as possible. which is now, I hope you add me soon!

oh I forgot to mention, I hope you have the zombie fortress plugin installed on your community's server, it would be odd if you don't since you aknowledge it by posting on this forum, but i'm just asking to make sure that you do.

well instead of me ranting and prattling on here let's just communicate via steam.

Last edited by Vladimir Van Vodka; 03-20-2011 at 09:37. Reason: Satan likes cheese whiz
dirtyminuth
Old 03-22-2011 , 21:08   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress (Perks [v4.2.0.15] / Vanilla [v4.0.6.4])
Reply With Quote #146

Though I'm in direct contact with many of the ZF communities, I want to ask here as well.

Players: What do you like / dislike the most about ZF right now?

Admins: How is overall server stability?

It's bug fix / balance time now, as have been the last couple updates. What would you like to see changed? Thanks in advance for any participation!
Old 03-22-2011 , 21:18   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress (Perks [v4.2.0.15] / Vanilla [v4.0.6.4])
Reply With Quote #147

At least on my community's fun server, the mod is very stable, Sourcemod error-wise. We don't get any plugin errors from Zombie Fortress, and the plugin always works properly.

In terms of the perks, they seem to be quite well balanced given all the parameters. The only issue we've had is with Carpenters stacking their barricades, but that's solved by limiting the amount of players who can use a perk.

Players enjoy ZF and I don't ever hear complaints about a bugs or issues with the latest version.
Old 03-23-2011 , 14:41   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress (Perks [v4.2.0.15] / Vanilla [v4.0.6.4])
Reply With Quote #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyminuth View Post
Players: What do you dislike the most about ZF right now?
98% of the maps.
They really dont give the mod justice, at all.

take these citations for example:

"The ZF mod consist of people hiding in a building protecting the only doorway to it.
Just like the CS one." ~Supersandvich

"The majority of ZF maps are crappy custom maps, with very few (compared to normal modes) good maps." ~Numerous

"(protip: don't add big rooms with only 1 easily defended entrance. if you only add 1 entrance, then make sure the room is small and the exit is hard to defend)" ~Kontaka

"I think that Zombie Fortress is a gem in the rough though, and one of it's main drawbacks is it's lack of solid, glitch-free, well-known maps.
Maybe you're right, maybe you're not, but Zombie Fortress does have potential and I can't think of a better way to get more support, and thus better maps for it." ~Lesleeez

however, the mod itself is indeed: fine.
(and I doubt you can do anything about terrible maps anyways.)

Self proclaimed Melee and Shotgun expert, Sexiest Man on Earth... and also makes decent ZF maps:
http://critsandvich.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1454
gavintlgold
Old 03-23-2011 , 14:46   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress (Perks [v4.2.0.15] / Vanilla [v4.0.6.4])
Reply With Quote #149

Quote:
98% of the maps.
This is very true. The mod is perfect from a code standpoint, but there really aren't any good maps for it. Vodka is doing a GREAT job with his map, I must say.
Old 03-23-2011 , 17:20   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress (Perks [v4.2.0.15] / Vanilla [v4.0.6.4])
Reply With Quote #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Van Vodka View Post
98% of the maps.
Quote:
This is very true. The mod is perfect from a code standpoint, but there really aren't any good maps for it. Vodka is doing a GREAT job with his map, I must say.
Maps are a big issue, I agree. The problem is that even a single layout error can result in a poor map, as survivors optimize their chances for survival.

Examples include rooms with single entrances (as mentioned), zombie spawns with a single exit, secret rooms accessible through normal gameplay, long sightlines, and open areas with little cover. Though these are issues with map design in general, they're exacerbated in ZF because available skill sets differ between survivors and zombies. For example, long sightlines are a larger problem in ZF because zombies do not have a decent ranged attack, yet survivors can pile on the snipers and effectively exploit this advantage.

I also hate to call out specific maps, but zf_cliff is the epitome of poor ZF map design. What's worse is people complaining about ZF (un)balance when they use zf_cliff as a basis for their complaint. It's hard to take their complaints seriously in such a context. What's even worse is that a small set of practically trivial fixes would improve the map tenfold. Get rid of the ground level house, add at least two more zombie spawns at the base of the cliff, and add one more path to the top.

I'm not sure how to fully address this issue. One idea is to post a "Goofus and Gallant" on ZF map design, complete with examples.