Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

TF2 QuickPlay changes coming

Post New Thread Reply   

Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-06-2016 , 16:50   TF2 QuickPlay changes coming
Reply With Quote #1

Valve hasn't announced how Community QuickPlay servers will be affected, but the Meet Your Match update is changing how QuickPlay works.

It looks like a lobby system is being introduced into QuickPlay. John Schoenick's previous posts imply that servers will now need a GSLT to be in the QuickPlay pool... it will also like require tf_mm_servermode 1 since that is used to put servers into QuickPlay lobby pools.

It may also mean that the 3 tf_server_identity cvars are going away.

This post will be updated with more information once Valve makes any official announcements about it.

Update 2016-07-11:

Valve isn't allowing community servers into the Casual game mode at the present time and there are no indications that they ever will. This basically means that QuickPlay as we knew it is dead.

On the bright side, the "Community Servers" (aka server browser) button now lives on the same menu as the Competitive, Casual, and MvM buttons.

Last edited by Powerlord; 07-11-2016 at 16:24.
Tranced
Old 07-06-2016 , 19:30   Re: TF2 QuickPlay changes coming
Reply With Quote #2

Thank you for this, Powerlord. Looking forward to hearing the updates.
jpwanabe
Veteran Member
Old 07-06-2016 , 21:49   Re: TF2 QuickPlay changes coming
Reply With Quote #3

So does anyone know if the old quick play will still be there? Or is it just gone. A bit worried about my server population.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-06-2016 , 21:57   Re: TF2 QuickPlay changes coming
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwanabe View Post
So does anyone know if the old quick play will still be there? Or is it just gone. A bit worried about my server population.
My MvM's have been nearly dead since the last update, I've not figured out what happened yet.
They will do the same thing they have been doing with any kinda items to get which will require you to play on Valve servers like usual I'm sure.

Still though, as I said my mvm's have been nearly dead completely since last update - no idea what the hell they did.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-06-2016 , 23:23   Re: TF2 QuickPlay changes coming
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwanabe View Post
As far as I can tell, the old QuickPlay system is going to be gone. I'm hoping we'll have more info from Valve tomorrow... although since the update will likely hit tomorrow, it's not going to be very far in advance.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-07-2016 , 21:41   Re: TF2 QuickPlay changes coming
Reply With Quote #6

Was there something changed for the MvM's? None of mine have any players in them and they are normally full right after an update like this as in right after.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-08-2016 , 01:19   Re: TF2 QuickPlay changes coming
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
Was there something changed for the MvM's? None of mine have any players in them and they are normally full right after an update like this as in right after.
Last I heard, there were major issues with matchmaking of all types with the servers just returning "TF2 game-coordinator is down"

Having said that, my Internet connection has been spotty all evening so I haven't checked this myself.

(Note to Wide Open West Cable: if you have "scheduled maintenance" like your customer service rep claimed, you usually announce it first.)

Edit:

Since I didn't say it yet, Valve has said nothing about community servers with the new QuickPlay. Which means likely that there's no way for community servers to join QuickPlay at the moment.

Last edited by Powerlord; 07-08-2016 at 01:41.
Snotmann
Old 07-08-2016 , 03:58   Re: TF2 QuickPlay changes coming
Reply With Quote #8

I set the tf_mm_servermode 1 and it works. The gamecoorinator crashes all 15 minutes at this time ... seems the TF2 servers are overloaded

Last edited by Snotmann; 07-08-2016 at 08:15.
Snotmann
Old 07-08-2016 , 13:19   Re: TF2 QuickPlay changes coming
Reply With Quote #9

Dont know how to fix ... i started a server (./srcds_run -console -game tf -maxplayers 24 +map cp_metalworks -port 27016 etc) with tf_mm_servermode 1 and map. I got the following messages:
**** MM Server in invalid match state, terminating
**** Server has been empty with a lobby for 301 seconds. Quitting
**** MM Server in invalid match state, terminating
Fri 8 Jul 189:26 CEST 2016: Server Quit
Phaiz
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-09-2016 , 13:23   Re: TF2 QuickPlay changes coming
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotmann View Post
I set the tf_mm_servermode 1 and it works. The gamecoorinator crashes all 15 minutes at this time ... seems the TF2 servers are overloaded
If you are setting this to 1 on a non-mvm server, it's going to turn it into a mvm server.