Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Does CS:GO use more than 2 cores?

Post New Thread Reply   

Major Erection
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-07-2016 , 03:51   Does CS:GO use more than 2 cores?
Reply With Quote #1

I know that this is the srcds forum but I got one question.
From what I heard, CS:GO mostly runs on just the first 2 cores. So having more cores doesn't really help as much as just having 2 cores with really high clock speed.

I'm asking this because I'm helping a mate of mine build a budget PC for CS:GO only. The latest pentiums are so much cheaper than the i3s and i5s but has only 2 cores so I'm curious if this would impact the performance of the game by much.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-07-2016 , 06:47   Re: Does CS:GO use more than 2 cores?
Reply With Quote #2

SCRDS is a single core process, so the answer is no. You can do some glitchy stuff to get it to use a bit of the second core but it's unlikely. I don't see why you'd want to only get a 2 core processor, I'd get a fairly decent one for the price with a high clock speed.
klippy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-07-2016 , 13:49   Re: Does CS:GO use more than 2 cores?
Reply With Quote #3

Pentium processors with 2 cores are surely good enough to run CS:GO, but you have to keep in mind that background processes (like browsers, music players...) will have more impact than if you had 4 cores.
i3-6100 is a great option in my opinion, and I am using it. It has quite high clock speed, is only about 1 and a half years old and because of that supports newer technologies like DDR4 RAM and has 4 threads, yet only costs like $110-120.
A better option would be to wait for Intel's 7th generation desktop processors or for AMD's upcoming Zen.

Last edited by klippy; 12-07-2016 at 13:50.
Major Erection
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-07-2016 , 15:39   Re: Does CS:GO use more than 2 cores?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KliPPy View Post
Pentium processors with 2 cores are surely good enough to run CS:GO, but you have to keep in mind that background processes (like browsers, music players...) will have more impact than if you had 4 cores.
i3-6100 is a great option in my opinion, and I am using it. It has quite high clock speed, is only about 1 and a half years old and because of that supports newer technologies like DDR4 RAM and has 4 threads, yet only costs like $110-120.
A better option would be to wait for Intel's 7th generation desktop processors or for AMD's upcoming Zen.
Thanks man. I was thinking of waiting for Zen but I'd like to keep my options open. I'll definitely check out the i3-6100. Peace!