Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Retrieving a cvar value in the server code (MP)

Post New Thread Reply   

Ko2bnt
Old 08-05-2017 , 11:47   Retrieving a cvar value in the server code (MP)
Reply With Quote #1

Hi there! Maybe I'm wrong with choosing the forum thread, if so, I'm sorry.

First of all, I'm writing HL2: DM server from Valve Source SDK 2013 so I can't edit client code, I'm working only with server code.

Now I'm trying to get cvar's value from the server side (not a plugin, I don't want to build a plugin just to getting cvar values). ATM I use engine->StartQueryCvarValue like that ('cl_playermodel' just for example):

Code:
int nQueryResult = (int)engine->StartQueryCvarValue(pPlayer->edict(), "cl_playermodel");
I'm trying to catch the result on CServerGameDLL::OnQueryCvarValueFinished that declared as:

Code:
virtual void			OnQueryCvarValueFinished(QueryCvarCookie_t iCookie, edict_t *pPlayerEntity, EQueryCvarValueStatus eStatus, const char *pCvarName, const char *pCvarValue);
But! I get negative values in the nQueryResult (as far as I know, that means the engine consider it as a query from a server and should respond something to IServerGameDLL::OnQueryCvarValueFinished) and... nothing happens. No errors, no values got.

Can somebody explain me how I can get convar values from the server code? Thanks a lot for any help!

Last edited by Ko2bnt; 08-05-2017 at 11:49.
Fyren
FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren
Old 08-06-2017 , 07:06   Re: Retrieving a cvar value in the server code (MP)
Reply With Quote #2

When you say the return is negative, do you mean it's -1? That's a special value to tell you that the edict you passed is bad and you won't get a callback.
Ko2bnt
Old 08-06-2017 , 08:31   Re: Retrieving a cvar value in the server code (MP)
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyren View Post
When you say the return is negative, do you mean it's -1? That's a special value to tell you that the edict you passed is bad and you won't get a callback.
I know about that (the sdk says "Returns InvalidQueryCvarCookie if the entity is invalid.") But I mean -1, -2, -3 etc values. I had take a look into engine code and I found that in case of StartQueryCvarValue call from the server dll the engine returns values as negative:

Code:
// Send a message to the client asking for the value.
SVC_GetCvarValue msg;
msg.m_iCookie = g_iQueryCvarCookie++;
msg.m_szCvarName = pCvarName;

// If the query came from the game DLL instead of from a plugin, then we negate the cookie
// so it knows who to callback on when the value arrives back from the client.
if ( !bPluginQuery )
	msg.m_iCookie = -msg.m_iCookie;

client->SendNetMsg( msg );
return msg.m_iCookie;
Besides, the edict I sent absolutely cannot be bad, I can say it for sure. I've read that post, I do the same, but it does not work:

Code:
mp\src\game\server\gameinterface.cpp

void CServerGameDLL::OnQueryCvarValueFinished(QueryCvarCookie_t iCookie, edict_t *pPlayerEntity, EQueryCvarValueStatus eStatus, const char *pCvarName, const char *pCvarValue)
{
	Msg("CServerGameDLL::OnQueryCvarValueFinished : %s, %s\n", pCvarName, pCvarValue);
}

void CC_TestCvar(const CCommand& args)
{
	CBasePlayer *pPlayer = UTIL_GetCommandClient();

if (!pPlayer)
		return;

int nQueryResult = engine->StartQueryCvarValue(pPlayer->edict(), "cl_playermodel");
	Msg("nQueryResult : %d\n", nQueryResult);
}
static ConCommand test_cvar("test_cvar", CC_TestCvar, "", FCVAR_NONE);
Message from CServerGameDLL::OnQueryCvarValueFinished does not appear and I don't see any error messages in server or client console.

Last edited by Ko2bnt; 08-06-2017 at 08:38.
Fyren
FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren
Old 08-06-2017 , 10:16   Re: Retrieving a cvar value in the server code (MP)
Reply With Quote #4

Since cl_playermodel in the base SDK appears to have the userinfo flag, I think you should be able to use GetClientConVarValue on the engine. I don't know why the async query wouldn't work, though.

If no one else has any ideas, you can try asking for help in #hlcoders on GameSurge.
Ko2bnt
Old 08-06-2017 , 10:56   Re: Retrieving a cvar value in the server code (MP)
Reply With Quote #5

cl_playermodel is just an example. I want to get cvars like mat_wireframe etc. So GetClientConVarValue can't help me. But thank you anyway.