SourceMod & Viper

Post New Thread Reply   

nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 11-25-2018 , 13:22   Re: SourceMod & Viper
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by _GamerX View Post
What is better Source.Python versus SourceMod and conversely?

And I can have both installed together?
(Disclaimer: I'm much more familiar with the SourceMod side of things; have not written a plugin for Source.Python.)

Source.Python gives you a decent chunk of the Python ecosystem, since it comes bundled with the standard libraries of Python 3.x and some additional packages (like jinja, for some reason). Python in general is a comfy language to use, in my opinion. There's some cases in SourceMod where I'd need to choose / drop into a third-party extension that Source.Python seems to make a lot easier, at the expense of having a larger space requirement.

SourceMod has many more plugins and references written for it. The Pawn VM implementation should be faster. Plugin management is automatic (if the setup instructions I've seen in the S.P forums are of any indication). The compile step forces you to pay attention to errors (though arguably a decent Python IDE could catch them as well).

I have a test bench and can confirm that Source.Python and SourceMod can be installed at the same time, though there isn't any sort of interop between them (though you could probably write an SM extension and pass whatever you want between SM and Source.Python should you desire).