Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Bot killer weapons in FF2

Post New Thread Reply   

BBG_Theory
Veteran Member
Old 09-27-2013 , 13:46   Bot killer weapons in FF2
Reply With Quote #1

I believe this is a Freak Fortress 2 issue and don't think this has been discussed yet. Also, am sure it is not just me but relevant to all Freak Fortress 2 servers, as I have seen it on my servers and other FF2 servers.

If you are equipped with a bot killer weapon and become a boss, you see the chain with bot skull (sometimes multiple views of it)

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/...D256854F23DA3/

Easy solution is to not have a botkiller strange weapon equipped, but wondering if there is another solution.

Possible solution, but not ideal:
Perhaps force a weapon change from strange bot-killer weapons to stock version???
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-27-2013 , 13:54   Re: Bot killer weapons in FF2
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBG_Theory View Post
I believe this is a Freak Fortress 2 issue and don't think this has been discussed yet. Also, am sure it is not just me but relevant to all Freak Fortress 2 servers, as I have seen it on my servers and other FF2 servers.

If you are equipped with a bot killer weapon and become a boss, you see the chain with bot skull (sometimes multiple views of it)

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/...D256854F23DA3/

Easy solution is to not have a botkiller strange weapon equipped, but wondering if there is another solution.

Possible solution, but not ideal:
Perhaps force a weapon change from strange bot-killer weapons to stock version???
Bosses are already supposed to have their weapons stripped...
Veteran Member
Old 09-27-2013 , 14:03   Re: Bot killer weapons in FF2
Reply With Quote #3

even when you are not the boss, you get this

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=181718046

it happens on both my servers (using pluginV1) and on other servers, so it is not unique to me. PLus I have heard others say they see this behavior also and on other FF2 servers. Been doing this a while now, not sure how long

Last edited by BBG_Theory; 09-27-2013 at 14:05.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 09-27-2013 , 15:22   Re: Bot killer weapons in FF2
Reply With Quote #4

Botkillers are dumb.
BBG_Theory
Veteran Member
Old 09-27-2013 , 16:41   Re: Bot killer weapons in FF2
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
Botkillers are dumb.
lol, true...but that does not prevent their existance
Wliu
Veteran Member
Old 09-27-2013 , 17:18   Re: Bot killer weapons in FF2
Reply With Quote #6

I can confirm this.
Veteran Member
Old 09-27-2013 , 22:10   Re: Bot killer weapons in FF2
Reply With Quote #7

What is interesting is that I don't think this happens on Saxton Hale 1.42 server and although I don't know when it did start happening, I am pretty sure it did not do this when bot killer weapons was introduced into the game. I do know it has been happening for a good while now though. My guess is some Valve update as caused this, but why only FF2 is odd. This and the BGM music continuing to play upon a boss quit are the 2 biggest annoying bugs in FF2 in my opinion
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 09-28-2013 , 17:37   Re: Bot killer weapons in FF2
Reply With Quote #8

Bgm problem is it uses keyvalues to find the last song, but it doesnt know if you quit.
Another problem is if you suicide when becoming the boss- you go civilian or dont get a model.

Music thing can be fixed by caching the last played song in a global variable and calling stopsound on it.
Civilian thing... Well
Im thinking of just blocking suicides for hales fro round start - round active/arena start period, or just like blocking suicide on blue for 10 seconds after round start should do it.

The botkiller thing is a tf2items thing.
Mabye try replacing them with stock versions or something.

Last edited by friagram; 09-28-2013 at 17:39.
BBG_Theory
Veteran Member
Old 09-29-2013 , 11:42   Re: Bot killer weapons in FF2
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
Bgm problem is it uses keyvalues to find the last song, but it doesnt know if you quit.
Another problem is if you suicide when becoming the boss- you go civilian or dont get a model.

Music thing can be fixed by caching the last played song in a global variable and calling stopsound on it.
Civilian thing... Well
Im thinking of just blocking suicides for hales fro round start - round active/arena start period, or just like blocking suicide on blue for 10 seconds after round start should do it.

The botkiller thing is a tf2items thing.
Maybe try replacing them with stock versions or something.
I just learned something interesting. I made a plugin that changes the bottkiller weapon to standard weapon and tested it on a regular tf2 server and I noticed the chain/skull behaved the same way. I saw the chain and skull glitched in player's view. So sadly, we can not force a weapons change from botkiller to normal to resolve this.

I wonder if this is a Valve bug with the chain and skull

if powerlord or friagram or wliu wants to see this plugin to validate what was done, I will backchannel the .sp to either of you (but it is what I have successfully used to change weapons in the past and am sure the concept is good) (did a separate case for all 9 weapons X all 8 series of botkillers for a total of 72 case entries)
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 09-29-2013 , 17:49   Re: Bot killer weapons in FF2
Reply With Quote #10

Pretty sure its a tempent thing.
Two things you can do.. Force weapon switch them, and then remove it and change their weapon (may require a timer). Or block the item in ongivenameditem ... And then on player spawn, check their bot killer slot, and if it is empty, make them a stock.