[HOWTO] Make a nice say-hook

Post New Thread Reply   

Bad HAL 9000
Old 01-06-2005 , 22:01  
Reply With Quote #11

this is a lot cleaner then mine rofl
Old 01-06-2005 , 22:25  
Reply With Quote #12

lance, I'm well aware of that, but I don't see how it changes what I said.

Right now (for the most part) there _are no full and popular third party mods and in engine license agreements, valve isn't going to care about updates the buyers made. So Valve could change it.

But, as we've found out, the engine is not as "mod dependant" as it was with HL1 (even though, as you said XAD, it is supposed to be).

This is partly the reason there will be a ton of game abstraction in SourceMod, as we're preparing for valve to change many things along the way. I think one thing PM was discussing with me was "mod dependency" dlls, but there isn't enough mod variation yet to test or justify that.

As for hooking say things like that - it was the intention to provide that sort of thing, I don't know if we actually implemented it yet
hello, i am pm
Old 01-07-2005 , 05:26  
Reply With Quote #13

Yes, I understand that the offsets into the virtual functions table will stay the same (well, should stay the same), but for now, I prefer the "clean" method

In the end, we might end up using your methods to do the hooking (seems to be and also is more powerful), but for now, I'd like to stick to "a bit cleaner" methods ;)
hello, i am pm
Old 01-07-2005 , 15:36  
Reply With Quote #14

UPDATE:
When I made an instance of such a hook after calling ConCommandBaseMgr::OneTimeInit , it didn't work. For some weird reason, it worked after I removed pCommand->AddFlags(FCVAR_PLUGIN) from my ConCommandAccessor.
I don't know why this happens yet..
Old 01-07-2005 , 17:48  
Reply With Quote #15

Nothing could be more mod-independant than the engine vtable hook. If that doesn't work, then neither does the mod, as they do the same thing, only one reads and one writes. If they change IVEngineServer, the *only* thing my engine vtable hook is dependant on, then they must release it, or no mod will work either. I don't see what the problem is here.
Old 01-07-2005 , 22:39  
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancelorgin
Nothing could be more mod-independant than the engine vtable hook. If that doesn't work, then neither does the mod, as they do the same thing, only one reads and one writes. If they change IVEngineServer, the *only* thing my engine vtable hook is dependant on, then they must release it, or no mod will work either. I don't see what the problem is here.
There is none, he doesnt realize the usfullness of your code
hello, i am pm
Old 01-08-2005 , 06:58  
Reply With Quote #17

I think I'll implement such "hardcore" hooks into sourcemod in the end.. So I also have some fun
Old 01-08-2005 , 09:32  
Reply With Quote #18

yeah, that's it badhal. You completely missed my point.
Old 01-08-2005 , 11:05  
Reply With Quote #19

Yeah he does hal, I just don't see how it's mod dependant at all

But we digress: this is turning into a civil flame war. It's mod as independant as anything can be, though
Old 02-02-2005 , 02:36  
Reply With Quote #20

How do I access the EntIndex or edict_t of the client that executed the command from the dispatch method. I know i can use the engine->Cmd_Arg methods to get at the command text, but what about the client entity?

Sorry if this is a noob question...still learning.