Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Running 1.9/1.10 Questions

Post New Thread Reply   

DvorakKeys
Old 07-28-2020 , 20:58   Running 1.9/1.10 Questions
Reply With Quote #1

1.8.2 is considered stable according to amxmodx.org
1.9 and 1.10 are considered unstable and in development.

I've never ran 1.9 or 1.10 in a production setting so I have some questions for those that have or do:
  1. From a stability perspective, should I be scared to run 1.9/1.10 on a production server?
  2. How hard is it to upgrade between minor updates? I take it if I pull and merge the latest updates from the git repo I should be fine, and that any breaking changes will be made on major version changes (i.e. 1.10->1.11).
  3. I have a large amount of custom maps, is there an easy way to test all of them to see if they will crash?

Thanks to the development team for making an amazing product! I can't wait for a stable 1.9!

Last edited by DvorakKeys; 07-28-2020 at 20:58.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 07-28-2020 , 21:46   Re: Running 1.9/1.10 Questions
Reply With Quote #2

Unless there is something specific in 1.9.0 or 1.10.0 that you really need, you're probably better off with 1.8.2, especially if you unfamiliar with or unwilling to risk and/or debug potential issues. I'm quite sure there are many people running the dev versions but it's not to the level of 1.8.2.

If you haven't made any customizations for built-in plugins, upgrading or downgrading should be just as simple as you would normally do it. See the "All Versions" section here.

I'm not entirely sure the version number convention that is being used but generally, a major version change would be 1.x.x to 2.x.x and a minor version change would be 1.8.x to 1.9.x. Also typically, you'd not see breaking changes in a minor version changes. There are some functions that have been deprecated but they are still fully functional (as functional as they were before) but you might see some warning when compiling. I highly doubt that any breaking changes will ever be made for any feature that is in 1.8.2. Version 1.9.0 is considered feature frozen so it's unlikely that you'd see any breaking changes from that version going forward. Version 1.10.0 is in active development and is subject to change. (EDIT: The version scheme that I'm referencing here is called Semantic Versioning)

I actually created a map crash tester, I keep the source code on GitHub here.

Last edited by fysiks; 07-28-2020 at 21:58.
DvorakKeys
Old 07-28-2020 , 22:18   Re: Running 1.9/1.10 Questions
Reply With Quote #3

Thanks for the info. I'll hold off 1.9 until it's stable, unless I absolutely need it down the road.

I wasn't aware there were upgrading instructions so that will be helpful when the time comes.

Thanks for the custom map tester. I saw your original post here. That might be some helpful info for noobs for the github repo.

Last edited by DvorakKeys; 07-28-2020 at 22:19.
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 07-29-2020 , 07:05   Re: Running 1.9/1.10 Questions
Reply With Quote #4

I'd say 1.9 is much more stable than 1.8.2 at the moment, especially having in fact all the bugfixes from previous versions and new additions. There's no reason to be afraid of upgrading to 1.9. Even there is a minor issue with it, it is highly unlikely to cause major issues in your server. If such an issue exists, you can easily report it and it will be fixed ASAP.

AMXX is backwards compatible. This means there aren't and won't be any breaking changes in newer AMXX versions. Compatibility with old plugins must be preserved. Upgrading won't break anything.

Not really sure how AMXX is related to custom maps, nonetheless crashing them.
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 07-30-2020 , 02:49   Re: Running 1.9/1.10 Questions
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OciXCrom View Post
I'd say 1.9 is much more stable than 1.8.2 at the moment, especially having in fact all the bugfixes from previous versions and new additions. There's no reason to be afraid of upgrading to 1.9. Even there is a minor issue with it, it is highly unlikely to cause major issues in your server. If such an issue exists, you can easily report it and it will be fixed ASAP.

AMXX is backwards compatible. This means there aren't and won't be any breaking changes in newer AMXX versions. Compatibility with old plugins must be preserved. Upgrading won't break anything.

Not really sure how AMXX is related to custom maps, nonetheless crashing them.
If it was in fact "much more stable than 1.8.2" then 1.9 would be declared as stable.
Old 07-30-2020 , 07:16   Re: Running 1.9/1.10 Questions
Reply With Quote #6

That mostly depends on the dev team's active time and will to release it. Plus, the more people that use it, the more likely it is to find those minor issues, thus speeding up the process of it being announced as stable.
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-31-2020 , 06:30   Re: Running 1.9/1.10 Questions
Reply With Quote #7

The term "stability" in regards to releases refers to API stability (i.e. whether breaking API changes will be made.)
Old 07-31-2020 , 16:09   Re: Running 1.9/1.10 Questions
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
The term "stability" in regards to releases refers to API stability (i.e. whether breaking API changes will be made.)
Since AMXX is always backward compatible the term doesn't make much sense in this context. Anyway, what is discussed here is if a dev version is safe to use by regular people who don't want/don't know how to debug or report bugs.