Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

:| Karma

Post New Thread Reply   

joaquimandrade
Veteran Member
Old 05-17-2009 , 12:08   Re: :| Karma
Reply With Quote #61

BOYSplayCS you also don't care about the karma system like almost everybody?
Old 05-17-2009 , 12:17   Re: :| Karma
Reply With Quote #62

I didn't care about it, I just liked how it looked under my name.
BAILOPAN
Old 05-17-2009 , 12:20   Re: :| Karma
Reply With Quote #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYSplayCS View Post
Allow -karma, but require a +5 karma before handing it out.
Another idea is to scale how much karma is affected by the age of the "attacker". I.e., -k from someone with 2 days of seniority isn't as bad as someone -k who has been around for two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquimandrade View Post
I disagree with the "Remove karma commenting".
There is no way this is coming back, explained earlier. If people have comments about a post they can post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergreg View Post
1. every addition/deduction is automated
2. karma points to distribute
I'd like to avoid things that are like points, though I like the idea (#2) of having only a certain number of karma targets per day. I think we even had that before but I'd have to double check. Slashdot awards moderation randomly and rarely -- for example, I get moderator points maybe once every 2-3 weeks, and only five of them. You also can't use them in threads you've posted in, though discussion here is linear and non-filtered so that's not a big deal.
Veteran Member
Old 05-17-2009 , 12:25   Re: :| Karma
Reply With Quote #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
There is no way this is coming back, explained earlier. If people have comments about a post they can post them.
But be aware that in old plugin's threads people prefer not to post a new comment but giving a commented karma.

Edit:

(The same applies to posts)

Last edited by joaquimandrade; 05-17-2009 at 12:28.
BOYSplayCS
BANNED
Old 05-17-2009 , 12:54   Re: :| Karma
Reply With Quote #65

Time for my input has come:

Karma gave satisfaction to users who helped and posted new plugins, it gave them a sense of accomplishment and joy. Completely taking away the karma system was, a little bit too extreme. Deleting karma comments can be arranged and would be beneficial. Disabling karma could and probably will slow down the helping process of the forums and maybe even plugin submissions. I, myself, liked getting positive karma whenever I helped someone or did a good deed, it was a sense of accomplishment for myself. Now, when I help someone I have nothing to be awarded with. Now, I am not saying that whenever someone does something good they should be awarded, because that it not always true. But these are forums, which means a "Karma System" would be great for them, the system would just need a bit of tweaking.

Having experience with karma systems, as I have created my own on another forum, it wouldn't take longer than maybe three days to create a full, beneficial system for the forums.
allenwr
Veteran Member
Old 05-18-2009 , 00:06   Re: :| Karma
Reply With Quote #66

Im not going to bother reading the rest of the thread, I predict that it is just the same BS being said repeatedly(common theme around here). But my user control panel is empty now... That's my one "complaint."

Get back to me, site admins.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 05-18-2009 , 01:04   Re: :| Karma
Reply With Quote #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenwr View Post
Im not going to bother reading the rest of the thread, I predict that it is just the same BS being said repeatedly(common theme around here).
IMO, the last two pages, or so, have not been "BS", it seems that there are discussions of how to prevent the negative side effects of the current (now former) karma system in hopes to get it back.

I believe that karma is not pointless. It generally shows the character of the person. And considering the purpose of this forum it seems to have a good correlation with the knowledge of the member.

I agree with the "exponential" style mentioned before and definitely the comments are not necessary. I also think that taking into account the seniority of the "giver" should have at least some effect on the karma the receiver receives .
Old 05-18-2009 , 03:07   Re: :| Karma
Reply With Quote #68

jusT suggesTing ,

maybe we should have the karma's back .. well i know as bailopan says it wont come back but just a suggestion

well without karma people will lest post and they feel lazy as if they help other they get nothing. if got karma people will eagerly to post and help people..
and without karma this place will be quite o.o
One
Veteran Member
Old 05-18-2009 , 03:10   Re: :| Karma
Reply With Quote #69

i´m for post thanks.

this is same, in profile u can see how many people thanked a person or how often he thanked another.

i dont realy wanna be active when i recive 5 or 6 -Karmas/day.

its bullshit if i post or not ) Daily -karma is ever there )
Veteran Member
Old 05-18-2009 , 05:18   Re: :| Karma
Reply With Quote #70

Karma was a good idea overall, but some people liked to abuse it
Whenever i got -k without a comment i used to ignore it. They were most probably from dickshafts who dont care about the community, but they want a perfect server with a custom plugin that they want us to create for them
On the other hand, there were -k's with comments which i would reflect upon. the only 1 i can remember off the top of my head was "you need to stop speaking like this and get a better attitude". I cant remember what post it was from, but it made me relook at what i posted. I realised that i had been a dick so i changed my attitude.

On the 3rd hand (vishnu!?! or some other man beast!?!) there were +k's from people who thought i had done a good job on a plugin or w/e

Then there were +k's from friends who i guess just love me too much =D (no names)

Is there no way to implement a system that allows "levels of karma" e.g. 1-20 and you cannot affect any1 with a higher karma level than you.

I agree with allenwr that my UserCP is too bare atm. It's things like that that make the baby jesus cry... ='[