Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Dedicated box specs.

Post New Thread Reply   

ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 07-28-2010 , 10:29   Re: Dedicated box specs.
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpILL View Post
How to boost the server, what program use to boost a server. Do you mean running media player in background without playing any media file in windows, or sys_ticrate, or hlsm2.3, or something else?

Also, do you know other ways to boost a server on both Windows hlds and Linux hlds? I'll be grateful to you.
Thanks.
I read it as, don't make it higher than the default FPS, keep the default rates, etc. Don't boost the rates to make performance better and you might be able to run that many servers.
SpILL
Veteran Member
Old 07-28-2010 , 17:12   Re: Dedicated box specs.
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofmybrain View Post
I read it as, don't make it higher than the default FPS, keep the default rates, etc. Don't boost the rates to make performance better and you might be able to run that many servers.
Thanks for the knowledge and you are probably right. When I change the rates (boost the rates in other words). My server runs on 500/1000+ fps and I get 1+ ms ping but I feel a bit laggy, and when I don't boost them at all I get 20+ ms but my cs runs smooth and no complaints from clients.
I don't understand the logic of this, boosting the servers will only show low pings, why?

I run an aim map server with 12/16 slots it is not 24x7 it depend on my mood whenever I want to play on my server I run it.

All doh I don't want to run too many servers at once, I just want to know what other programs are use to boost the server as I only know a few or maybe more than a couple.

I stopped running any dedicated machine, I want to run my server on my personal computer and will play game at the same time what ideal rates or boost program will be for me?

my pc(s):
core i7 2.+ ghz and 4 gig ram
c2d 2.+ and 1 gig ram (lol that is little).

@bluechester, what program/rates you personally use or recommend me to use. If you don't mind could you please tell me.

Last edited by SpILL; 07-28-2010 at 17:19.
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 07-28-2010 , 19:06   Re: Dedicated box specs.
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Thanks for the knowledge and you are probably right. When I change the rates (boost the rates in other words). My server runs on 500/1000+ fps and I get 1+ ms ping but I feel a bit laggy, and when I don't boost them at all I get 20+ ms but my cs runs smooth and no complaints from clients.
I don't understand the logic of this, boosting the servers will only show low pings, why?
It depends. Some of the things you boost makes the server use more of its physical resources (like CPU and RAM). Some of the things you boost makes the server use more bandwidth. (Most will affect both.) So if your computer really sucks but your internet is good, you'll have a good ping to a boosted server, but the computer itself can't process everything it has to, so your game will be choppy.

With only 1GB of RAM and running it on a non-dedicated machine, I would keep your rates default.