Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Timelimit / server.cfg not load.

Post New Thread Reply   

Nbanow
Old 03-17-2021 , 04:02   Timelimit / server.cfg not load.
Reply With Quote #1

Hello! I'm not the first one who faces this so would be cool to get some help.

There are 2 kind of problems or they might be together 1 problem which causes another.

1. mp_timelimit is set to 30. After map loads it's still 30, but when the second team gets a player and "Game Commencing" happens, timelimit suddenly switches to 20.

2. csserver.cfg is not being loaded/read. I don't know why and when it's not being loaded, sometimes it works sometimes not. I don't know how but often visitors getting files downloaded in 5 seconds (for me it's also like that) but for some players who have ultra good internet speed 1 model takes 7minutes to be downloaded. Is it something from a player's client side and configurations or my server.cfg doesn't load (sv_downloadurl included?) and it's slow for others.
Any ideas?

Last edited by Nbanow; 03-17-2021 at 05:04.
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 03-17-2021 , 09:10   Re: Timelimit / server.cfg not load.
Reply With Quote #2

1. Because you have it set in some other .cfg file to 20.

2. There is no csserver.cfg. If you mean server.cfg, it's loaded on server start. If you want to load something on mapchange, use configs/amxx.cfg.
Old 03-17-2021 , 12:00   Re: Timelimit / server.cfg not load.
Reply With Quote #3

1. I swear, there none. I've opened 100 notepad++ tabs with all possible cfg and ini files that exist in my serverfiles. After the search on a keyword "mp_timelimit" only mp_timelimit found was set to 30. Fun fact that one of coders here also faced this and can't tell why and how is that happening.

2. Well, my linux server uses csserver.cfg as I was informed. But now I've checked that server.cfg is a default one, wow. Thank you.

Could you also tell me, how is it possible that pair of people are getting slow downloading files with fasdl while others with the same net getting all 100~ files in 5 seconds while they say it's only like that on my server. We are using very fast internet. I mean there's no difference between visitors who getting downloads in 5 seconds and those who downloading one model 6 minutes. Where is the hole? Could you show me the way where I should go and look for a thing?

Last edited by Nbanow; 03-17-2021 at 12:53.
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 03-17-2021 , 14:29   Re: Timelimit / server.cfg not load.
Reply With Quote #4

1. Then maybe it's in a .sma file. Check the cvar value with "amx_cvar mp_timelimit". If it's really 20, some plugin is probably changing it.

2. If it's executed via another file, it's possible.

3. Maybe it's their location?
Old 03-17-2021 , 15:10   Re: Timelimit / server.cfg not load.
Reply With Quote #5

Probably one of plugins may cause this. Gonna view all my smas. Thanks for that.
Thanks for telling about csserver.cfg part.
But the last one... He's not from china. Living 50 meters from me and we're using same net which is one of the fastest in Europe. This is now the most strange part. Visitors in 3000km from server location are downloading files in 5 seconds while some who actually plays with latency "2" in my server still downloading files like 7mins each model or map.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 03-17-2021 , 23:09   Re: Timelimit / server.cfg not load.
Reply With Quote #6

It sounds like you may be using LinuxGSM because it sets the default config file for Counter-Strike 1.6 to csserver.cfg (this custom server config file name is set in the command line with +servercfgfile when the server is started). So, if this is the case, you need to use csserver.cfg as you were originally instructed and not server.cfg. You can verify by checking the value of the servercfgfile cvar in your server's console (via your control panel, HLSW, or amx_cvar).

The above is for the file that is executed only when the server is first started. However, there is another cvar that you can set for a file that you would like to execute on every map change and it's called mapchangecfgfile. So, in your csserver.cfg file, you can set:

Code:
mapchangecfgfile "myMapChangeConfig.cfg"
This will cause myMapChangeConfig.cfg to be executed on every map change.

Generally, I recommend keeping HLDS cvars in this mapchangecfgfile (and not putting them in amxx.cfg) and only put AMX Mod X plugin cvars in amxx.cfg (when possible).

Last edited by fysiks; 03-17-2021 at 23:11.
Nbanow
Old 03-18-2021 , 03:16   Re: Timelimit / server.cfg not load.
Reply With Quote #7

Yes, it's LinuxGSM for sure. Strange thing is when I've typed "servercfgfile" in my console i've got an answer : "servercfgfile" is "csserver.cfg"

But when I've entered my lgsm folder and opened my common.cfg (where is defined all the startup thing) with things it's shown as default is server.cfg. I think I've just lost somewhere in these config files and don't even know what is what and which one is normally working.. I've just copied all the csserver.cfg to a server.cfg to be safe.

HTML Code:
systemdir="${serverfiles}/cstrike"
executabledir="${serverfiles}"
executable="./hlds_run"
servercfgdir="${systemdir}"
servercfg="${selfname}.cfg"
servercfgdefault="server.cfg"
servercfgfullpath="${servercfgdir}/${servercfg}"

But still, the most interesting miracle is my fasdl part. For some its 5seconds, for some it's 7 minutes per file. Paradoxical that people who are getting downloads slowly having a good internet speed while others who are 5-10k km from server location are recieving files in seconds. Can someone explain me this? That's a huge trouble for 50% of visitors because zombie server normally have lots of modifications and files required to play and that stops group of people being able to join. Atleast no one is waiting..

Last edited by Nbanow; 03-18-2021 at 03:35.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 03-18-2021 , 22:45   Re: Timelimit / server.cfg not load.
Reply With Quote #8

Yeah, I was trying to figure out why it had that "servercfgdefault" in there. It turns out that is only used when you install so that it copies the contents of server.cfg into csserver.cfg (this name is the "servercfg" variable). The parameters used when the server start are on this line and it specifies the the variable ${servercfg} to be set as the servercfgfile.

Regarding download speeds, there is a bug with fast download where if you get disconnected once while connecting to the server, it will fall back to downloading directly from the server (which is naturally slow) i.e. skipping fast download. The only way to recover from this bug is to close the game and then start it again (on the client side). You can test this theory by setting the server cvar sv_allowdownload to 0.

If this bug is occurring, those people will not be able to download from the server at all. Having this turned off is generally not recommended because it requires that your fast download server files be perfectly aligned the server files but it can be used as a debugging step. So, find someone who has the issue happen often and see if they get a message that says that they can't download from the server directly.
Old 03-19-2021 , 03:42   Re: Timelimit / server.cfg not load.
Reply With Quote #9

Thank you for answering.

I've found one interesting file inside my server cstrike directory. That was called "settings.scr". And for sure, that was the only one file left that was unopened to check what's inside. I've never touched it cuz that looked like an exe file and does its job somehow. And for sure.. There were some kind of settings inside that we're also defining mp_timelimit and even more settings. I've changed it and I don't know if that was a real problem but for now it's all working well.

About the speed. Thanks for letting me know this bug exists. I've fixed it all. Can't tell how because I've made like 654164 random changes and don't know which step was the most effective that turned all back to OK.

However my last changes who probably solved a problem were:

HTML Code:
sv_downloadurl "https://mywebsite.com/cstrike/"
TO
HTML Code:
sv_downloadurl "http://mywebsite.com/cstrike"
I've simply removed "/" from the end and changed https private to http.
Also what I did was i've changed all the files permissions to 755 on my host. (Folders were already made as 755 but files inside weren't).
Undercloacked
Old 03-23-2021 , 07:09   Re: Timelimit / server.cfg not load.
Reply With Quote #10

Pretty much anything you want executed you can set it in the launch parameters. For example add +exec csserver.cfg or -mp_timelimit 30 in case you are facing difficulties.

I am aware you pretty much solved it, just for future reference and anyone else wondering.