12% 

[QUESTION] Web domain and hosting

Post New Thread Reply   

DocTek
Zero Posts
Old 08-26-2014 , 13:49   [QUESTION] Web domain and hosting
Reply With Quote #1

Hello

I am new to web hosting. I have read many articles about setting up a website but I am still confused between web hosting and domains. Does domain means .com .co.uk .org or the complete website name like mywebsite.com or google.com? I want to create my own website so do I need to purchase both domain and web host or just domain or only web host? I am a little confused! I want some suggestions for affordable web hosting (or domain) and their customer support should be good. After I purchase a website how do I log in to my website? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Veteran Member
Old 08-26-2014 , 13:56   Re: [QUESTION] Web domain and hosting
Reply With Quote #2

Google should be your friend here.
Veteran Member
Old 08-26-2014 , 13:59   Re: [QUESTION] Web domain and hosting
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocTek View Post
Hello

I am new to web hosting. I have read many articles about setting up a website but I am still confused between web hosting and domains. Does domain means .com .co.uk .org or the complete website name like mywebsite.com or google.com? I want to create my own website so do I need to purchase both domain and web host or just domain or only web host? I am a little confused! I want some suggestions for affordable web hosting (or domain) and their customer support should be good. After I purchase a website how do I log in to my website? Any help would be great. Thanks.
1. Domains and website servers are purchased separately, though lots of hosting services offer both together.
2. .com domains are the most common, short for commercial. But you aren't limited by any in particular.
3. Nowadays websites and domains are cheap (for domains, assuming you are buying a relatively unique name that's not sought after). An entry level, shared-VPS website hosting will cost you around $8-10/month while the domain itself will cost between $12-24/year.
4. Once you've made your host selection they will provide you with details on how to access your own panel to manage your website.
DocTek
Zero Posts
Old 08-26-2014 , 23:57   Re: [QUESTION] Web domain and hosting
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
1. Domains and website servers are purchased separately, though lots of hosting services offer both together.
2. .com domains are the most common, short for commercial. But you aren't limited by any in particular.
3. Nowadays websites and domains are cheap (for domains, assuming you are buying a relatively unique name that's not sought after). An entry level, shared-VPS website hosting will cost you around $8-10/month while the domain itself will cost between $12-24/year.
4. Once you've made your host selection they will provide you with details on how to access your own panel to manage your website.
But domain means .com or my complete website name including .com ?
Veteran Member
Old 08-27-2014 , 01:04   Re: [QUESTION] Web domain and hosting
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
But domain means .com or my complete website name including .com ?
It means the whole thing, the complete name including .com. You cannot purchase the entirety of .com. No one on Earth has that much money.

Last edited by ddhoward; 08-27-2014 at 02:15.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 08-27-2014 , 01:52   Re: [QUESTION] Web domain and hosting
Reply With Quote #6

Please look up the abundant information available on Google or Bing. If you can't find it there for some reason, find a webhost and look at their documentation. If you can't find it there, find a webhost's forum and post there.
Old 08-27-2014 , 13:03   Re: [QUESTION] Web domain and hosting
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
It means the whole thing, the complete name including .com. You cannot purchase the entirety of .com. No one on Earth has that much money.
I am starting a WordPress blog so I want a web host with unlimited bandwidth and storage and a good customer support. Can you suggest any (below $8/Month)?
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-27-2014 , 13:18   Re: [QUESTION] Web domain and hosting
Reply With Quote #8

Incidentally, ".com" and the like have a special name... "Top Level Domain" (TLD for short).
Veteran Member
Old 08-27-2014 , 16:08   Re: [QUESTION] Web domain and hosting
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
I am starting a WordPress blog so I want a web host with unlimited bandwidth and storage and a good customer support. Can you suggest any (below $8/Month)?
Please use Google or Bing. This is easily answered on your own. If anyone here answers that question, they would do exactly what you should do: search.
Old 08-28-2014 , 12:36   Re: [QUESTION] Web domain and hosting
Reply With Quote #10

Why do I get the feeling that this entire thread was just a ruse to advertise a hosting company?