Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[CS:GO] Server config

Post New Thread Reply   

66Gramms
Old 01-22-2019 , 04:34   [CS:GO] Server config
Reply With Quote #1

Hi!
I have the problem that I set up a server (SourceMod wasn't installed yet) and I tuned some settings in the server.cfg. But expect for the server's name, none of the settings I changed in the file were applied. After some googling I found out it's because the server doesn't care about server.cfg rather it gets overwritten by gamemodes_server.txt. So I made that file in the main CS:GO server folder, and pasted the few settings I needed to change into that file.
Code:
sv_region "3"
bot_quota 0
bot_quota_mode "normal"
mp_friendlyfire "0"
sv_deadtalk "1"
sv_alltalk "1"
But when I restart the server I get these messages:
Code:
KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { in file gamemodes_server.txt line 1
KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { in file gamemodes_server.txt line 2
KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { in file gamemodes_server.txt line 3
KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { in file gamemodes_server.txt line 4
KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { in file gamemodes_server.txt line 5
KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { in file gamemodes_server.txt line 6
What should I do? Is there some way to make server.cfg work instead of editing a different file? Thank you in advance!
8guawong
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-22-2019 , 05:41   Re: [CS:GO] Server config
Reply With Quote #2

Isn't the error obvious

Old 01-22-2019 , 05:52   Re: [CS:GO] Server config
Reply With Quote #3

No, not at all, as putting a simple { is not solving my problem. I don't know the format of the file, as for some reason it is not in my csgo folder by default, I had to make it.
8guawong
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-22-2019 , 06:35   Re: [CS:GO] Server config
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Gramms View Post
No, not at all, as putting a simple { is not solving my problem. I don't know the format of the file, as for some reason it is not in my csgo folder by default, I had to make it.
i don't remember the name off the top of my head
but there should be an example gamemodes_server.txt file called gamemodes_server_example.txt
Old 01-22-2019 , 08:02   Re: [CS:GO] Server config
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
That's because it's not just one bracket. It's saying there's errors on multiple lines. Try posting your gamemodes file here, we're trying to work blind here.
Old 01-22-2019 , 16:18   Re: [CS:GO] Server config
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
I had to make it.
Quote:
After some googling I found out it's because the server doesn't care about server.cfg rather it gets overwritten by gamemodes_server.txt.
So, there's a couple misconceptions here I want to address.

Number 1: The file you are looking for is there, and you don't have to make it. It's called gamemodes_server.txt.example. You can edit that to your liking, or you can ignore it altogether.

Number 2: server.cfg isn't overwritten by gamemodes_server.txt. In fact, by default, server.cfg simply isn't read anymore. If you would like your server.cfg file to be read, you either need to specify that in the command line, or in gamemodes_server.txt (which is possibly where your misconception came from).

Number 3: gamemodes.txt is basically a "set" of commands that cause the server to run a "vanilla" game mode (just like you would see on the valve servers). You can customize this behavior very easily (without even having to make a gamemodes_server.txt file) by editing the "gamemode_casual_server.cfg" file (for example) located in /csgo/cfg. Now, this file does not exist. You will see a file called "gamemode_casual.cfg" (for example), but you need to create your own file called "gamemode_casual_server.cfg". This file is what currently takes the place of server.cfg, just FYI.

My recommendation to you is to set all the configs you want in (for example) "gamemode_casual_server.cfg" (based on whatever game mode you are running). In my opinion, this is the easiest way to configure a server.