Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D2] No Safe Room Medkits v1.0.1

Post New Thread Reply   

dacomb
Old 12-30-2009 , 15:06   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
Reply With Quote #11

Okay, I think I understand this better now then.
The only kits that are changed are the initial saferoom kits.
All other kits that spawn scripted or randomly on the map are still in play correct?

I can see how that would change things up a bit.
Except for maps where kits are nearby.

What about the Hard Rain Finale?
If those kits are changed to pills at the campaign start... do they remain pills when you return?

That map is just cheap anyway.

Personally, the only VS maps worth playing IMO are Dead Center, Dark Carnival and The Parish.
Dark Carnival is made much more playable with the l4dtoolz finale ghost mode enabled.

I also use ghostfly although it's a little bit tricky to control but I think the Infected Char Select is a bit overpowered so I choose to not use it after a quick play test.

For me I found that setting a static spawn time of 15 seconds and a few minor tweaks to smokers and tanks has made worlds of difference even with all the kits... The survivors actually need them since you can really put the hurt the on them. :D If they make it to the saferoom, either your team just sucks or they earned it. :P
Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 12-30-2009 , 22:00   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
Reply With Quote #12

Looking good! Would you kindly impact the following changes necessary for approval:
  • Check if mod is l4d2 and fail to load if not.
  • Prefix all CVARs with l4d2_
  • Specify version CVAR in your Plugin Description fields in this thread.

At your discretion I would also recommend having a more descriptive name (eg No Safe Room Medkits)

Last edited by Downtown1; 12-30-2009 at 23:11.
Crimson_Fox
Old 01-01-2010 , 04:06   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacomb View Post
Okay, I think I understand this better now then.
The only kits that are changed are the initial saferoom kits.
All other kits that spawn scripted or randomly on the map are still in play correct?
You got it.

Quote:
I can see how that would change things up a bit.
Except for maps where kits are nearby.
Unless you're referring to Hard Rain, I can't think of any maps where are hard-coded medkits near the safe room. The plug-in is written so it takes care of all the medkits in the safe room, including those in Hard Rain.

Quote:
What about the Hard Rain Finale?
If those kits are changed to pills at the campaign start... do they remain pills when you return?
The plug-in only works in versus mode, so nothing would be changed in campaign mode. In versus the medkits in the finale safe room are pills, but the other medkits are otherwise unchanged.

Quote:
That map is just cheap anyway.
They don't call it "Hard Rage" for nothing! I think the excessive medkits had a lot to do with it, so I figure this helps.

Quote:
I also use ghostfly although it's a little bit tricky to control but I think the Infected Char Select is a bit overpowered so I choose to not use it after a quick play test.

For me I found that setting a static spawn time of 15 seconds and a few minor tweaks to smokers and tanks has made worlds of difference even with all the kits... The survivors actually need them since you can really put the hurt the on them. If they make it to the saferoom, either your team just sucks or they earned it.
Ghost Fly is definitely tricky at first but like anything, once you get some practice it's not so bad.

I prefer mods that encourage the team play aspect of the game. I like Infected Character Select because it helps coordinated teams more than it does individual players. Personally I wouldn't lower the spawn time because that gives infected players less incentive to wait for their team mates to spawn so they can attack at once.

Overall I'm all for making it more challenging for the survivors. I find versus matches are much better when you have to work for the distance you gain.
Crimson_Fox
Old 01-01-2010 , 04:48   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown1 View Post
Looking good! Would you kindly impact the following changes necessary for approval:
  • Check if mod is l4d2 and fail to load if not.
  • Prefix all CVARs with l4d2_
  • Specify version CVAR in your Plugin Description fields in this thread.

At your discretion I would also recommend having a more descriptive name (eg No Safe Room Medkits)
All good suggestions, done! =)
Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 01-01-2010 , 06:13   Re: [L4D2] No Safe Room Medkits v1.0
Reply With Quote #15

Looks like it can still load on any mod, try this snippet

PHP Code:
public OnPluginStart()
{

// Require Left 4 Dead 2

decl String:game_name[64];

GetGameFolderName(game_namesizeof(game_name));
    if (!
StrEqual(game_name"left4dead2"false))
    {

SetFailState("Plugin supports Left 4 Dead 2 only.");
    }

Crimson_Fox
Old 01-01-2010 , 06:30   Re: [L4D2] No Safe Room Medkits v1.0.1
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown1 View Post
Looks like it can still load on any mod, try this snippet
Doh! Completely misread what you said, should be good now.
dacomb
Old 01-02-2010 , 01:59   Re: [L4D2] No Aid
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Fox View Post
Unless you're referring to Hard Rain, I can't think of any maps where are hard-coded medkits near the safe room. The plug-in is written so it takes care of all the medkits in the safe room, including those in Hard Rain.
The finale med kits are in fact in the restaurant but of course not at the start in the safe room.

Quote:
The plug-in only works in versus mode, so nothing would be changed in campaign mode. In versus the medkits in the finale safe room are pills, but the other medkits are otherwise unchanged.
Coop kits are all in play.

Quote:
They don't call it "Hard Rage" for nothing! I think the excessive medkits had a lot to do with it, so I figure this helps.
It helps a lot. Making it to the safe room was much more difficult for the Survivors.

Quote:
Ghost Fly is definitely tricky at first but like anything, once you get some practice it's not so bad.
Yeah, I tweaked the speed setting a bit and it's better now.

Quote:
I prefer mods that encourage the team play aspect of the game. I like Infected Character Select because it helps coordinated teams more than it does individual players.
Still not sold on that but I may give it another look.

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't lower the spawn time because that gives infected players less incentive to wait for their team mates to spawn so they can attack at once.
Oh man, give it a try for a game or two.
I've been playing this way for 20 or so games now... and the games are INTENSE.
The SI do in fact work together but they can hit you so fast and hard that the Survivor team really has to be on top of things to make distance.

I've not had any complaints from players. Why? Because the SI can actually stop the Survivors. Most games are low scoring and both teams feel like they have a chance to massacre the other team.
Out of those 20 games a team makes all 4 to the safe room maybe 10 times... usually one or two make it on a few maps in the course of a game.

But people so far seem to like the consistent respawn time since they can rely on that instead of 10 - 30 seconds... sometimes those seconds matter a great deal.

Quote:
Overall I'm all for making it more challenging for the survivors. I find versus matches are much better when you have to work for the distance you gain.
Indeed. Players earn their distance in my games. If you get slaughtered it's because you lack team work.
dacomb
Old 01-02-2010 , 17:18   Re: [L4D2] No Safe Room Medkits v1.0.1
Reply With Quote #18

Quick Question,
I wanted to try out another possible saferoom spawn scenerio and I was wondering if you might be able to code a plugin for it.
3 kits and 1 defibs.
My server with 15 sec static SI respawn is super intense and so I wanted to see how the Survivors fared with a slightly different setup.
Crimson_Fox
Old 01-03-2010 , 00:22   Re: [L4D2] No Safe Room Medkits v1.0.1
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Quick Question,
I wanted to try out another possible saferoom spawn scenerio and I was wondering if you might be able to code a plugin for it.
3 kits and 1 defibs.
My server with 15 sec static SI respawn is super intense and so I wanted to see how the Survivors fared with a slightly different setup.
Sounds easy enough, whipped this up for you.
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (l4d2_SafeRoomDefib.sp - 599 views - 3.3 KB)
dacomb
Old 01-03-2010 , 16:32   Re: [L4D2] No Safe Room Medkits v1.0.1
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Sounds easy enough, whipped this up for you.
Oh sweet man! Thanks!
I'm loading it up now. I'll let you know how it plays out.

EDIT:
I may be pushing it here with requests but what about making a config file for the plugin that would allow the server admin to specify the amounts of health items that spawn?
There would obviously need to be a 4 item total limit but you could in theory have 1 kit, 1 defib, 1 pills, and 1 adrenaline although that would be a silly combo...
Nevertheless, It would be nice to have the options to change up the number of kits...
I think I could easily change the number of kits and defibs in your source but if I wanted to have say 2 kits, 1 pills, and 1 defib... I couldn't do that in the current form.
Essentially, it's just a way to see which combination of health items works best for a given server scenerio.

Last edited by dacomb; 01-03-2010 at 16:39.