Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)

Post New Thread Reply   

eraserhead
Veteran Member
Old 04-12-2011 , 10:36   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #311

I don't know if Valve can blacklist those servers or something? I don't want to be become the victim of other people who are too stupid to to realize Valve won't allow this. To think the time invested in coding those many plugins and extensions and setting up custom models and all that, now it's being jeopardized by some selfish people. Can't we do anything about this other then destroying his market? Who are we talking about here anyways, and who are his customers? All those servers and their admins should be put on a blacklist if you ask me.
SourceMod Developer
Old 04-12-2011 , 11:05   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead View Post
I don't know if Valve can blacklist those servers or something? I don't want to be become the victim of other people who are too stupid to to realize Valve won't allow this. To think the time invested in coding those many plugins and extensions and setting up custom models and all that, now it's being jeopardized by some selfish people. Can't we do anything about this other then destroying his market? Who are we talking about here anyways, and who are his customers? All those servers and their admins should be put on a blacklist if you ask me.
Valve made it quite clear what would happen if their content continued to be used, they already decided to lock it down when they heard about the version being sold. This plugin was only made open in the interim so that no further sales would be made.
I'm hoping that (in time) Valve come up with a better solution than a blanket ban, but who knows, they gave it a chance to only have custom content and it was still abused.

I'm personally not going to name names, but here is a short timeline of events:
  • Valve release an update that blocks all player attachments.
  • Voogru finds an exploit in the code that allows a workaround to be produced (this plugin), he contacts Valve to ask if he can release with restrictions on attaching any wearables created by Valve, they say that they'll allow it as a trial but that if it gets abused that they'll have to act.
  • Some larger communities either reverse engineer or find the exploit themselves, allowing them to offer Valve hats on thier servers, they keep it to themselves though.
  • Someone who wasn't happy with this plugin finds another workaround and releases it on here, it gets removed by the moderators since it can't be controlled.
  • Another individual gets paid to make a version with no restrictions. He leaves the source code available for all to see on his website, but keeps it quiet. After refusing some nice requests to take it down (and for some other stuff), he gets banned from AlliedModders.
  • Someone with access to the other workaround goes around spamming servers with adverts for it offering to sell it to communities for $50.
  • Voogru finds about this and contacts Valve, they sadface that people can't even follow a simple rule, and voogru decides to remove the restrictions in his version so the guy can't make any more money.

I hope that covers it.
Sorry for the terrible switching of tense, I'll read over it and try and fix it up later.

Last edited by asherkin; 04-12-2011 at 12:05.
Zephyrus
Cool Pig B)
Old 04-12-2011 , 11:52   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
They did, this plugin exploited a flaw in their code, but imposed it's own limit that Valve content couldn't be used. Valve banned all attachments.
they could have just simply forbid using their models rather than disabling the direct prop attaching to players
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 04-12-2011 , 12:07   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
they could have just simply forbid using their models rather than disabling the direct prop attaching to players
it's ogre
voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 04-14-2011 , 23:41   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #315

And in the update today, there is no longer an exception for the flag which is what this plug-in was using.

And with that.

[/thread]
Thraka
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-15-2011 , 00:39   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #316

Quote:
Valve made it quite clear what would happen if their content continued to be used, they already decided to lock it down when they heard about the version being sold. This plugin was only made open in the interim so that no further sales would be made.
I'm hoping that (in time) Valve come up with a better solution than a blanket ban, but who knows, they gave it a chance to only have custom content and it was still abused.

I'm personally not going to name names, but here is a short timeline of events:
  • Valve release an update that blocks all player attachments.
  • Voogru finds an exploit in the code that allows a workaround to be produced (this plugin), he contacts Valve to ask if he can release with restrictions on attaching any wearables created by Valve, they say that they'll allow it as a trial but that if it gets abused that they'll have to act.
  • Some larger communities either reverse engineer or find the exploit themselves, allowing them to offer Valve hats on thier servers, they keep it to themselves though.
  • Someone who wasn't happy with this plugin finds another workaround and releases it on here, it gets removed by the moderators since it can't be controlled.
  • Another individual gets paid to make a version with no restrictions. He leaves the source code available for all to see on his website, but keeps it quiet. After refusing some nice requests to take it down (and for some other stuff), he gets banned from AlliedModders.
  • Someone with access to the other workaround goes around spamming servers with adverts for it offering to sell it to communities for $50.
  • Voogru finds about this and contacts Valve, they sadface that people can't even follow a simple rule, and voogru decides to remove the restrictions in his version so the guy can't make any more money.

I hope that covers it.
Sorry for the terrible switching of tense, I'll read over it and try and fix it up later.
Yikes.. Reminds me of Sony trying to bully people. Thats too bad Alliedmodders decided to ban someone for something they did outside of the forum system itself.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 04-15-2011 , 00:42   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraka View Post
Yikes.. Reminds me of Sony trying to bully people. Thats too bad Alliedmodders decided to ban someone for something they did outside of the forum system itself.
No, you missed the havoc he caused on here as well.
I probably should have worded that part better though, not gonna go back an edit it now though.
Old 04-15-2011 , 00:46   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by voogru View Post
And in the update today, there is no longer an exception for the flag which is what this plug-in was using.

And with that.

[/thread]
That is too bad too. (Please read this with a polite tone, which is how I'm writing it) Valve wants to protect a huge commerce investment they made with hats. Definitely greed fueled. You can see it with the fact that they made half a million for the donation to japan for 3 hats they released over a period of two weeks... that should put what "hats" mean to valve in perspective. I'm sure they don't make that much money every two weeks but they still make a large chunk. It's a shame they've just locked up attachement customization completely. Makes me feel ashamed for them considering that a lot of their revenue came from adopting a mod as an official product (well two) and selling it... If they didn't have that ability to customize the game in that way no one would have created those mods and Valve probably wouldn't be where it is today.
Thraka
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-15-2011 , 00:48   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #319

Quote:
No, you missed the havoc he caused on here as well.
I probably should have worded that part better though, not gonna go back an edit it now though.
I remember bits and pieces of things, but I was only commenting on your brief statement of the facts, essentially not knowing anything else about it. I'm not sure why you think I would go and change what I said, I didn't say anything wrong, bad, or offensive. I was just stating how it was reminding me of Sony trying to take that guy to court for releasing information on the net. I know it's way different situations, it just reminded me of it is all.

Last edited by Thraka; 04-15-2011 at 00:50.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 04-15-2011 , 00:50   Re: [TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraka View Post
I'm not sure why you think I would go and change what I said, I didn't say anything wrong, bad, or offensive.
No, I was saying I wasn't going to go and edit my original list to clarify things.