Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Name Changer Hack?

Post New Thread Reply   

cybersquare420
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 08:55   Re: Name Changer Hack?
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostbyteX View Post

Security by obscurity isn't security at all.

i agree... in this case i really think sunlight is gonna be the best disinfectant...
Old 05-01-2010 , 17:30   Re: Name Changer Hack?
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostbyteX View Post
I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with posting public knowledge that isn't an exploit.

Security by obscurity isn't security at all.

PHP Code:
alias name "echo A pesky admin is trying to change your name!" 
Having the ability to change your name to anything is an exploit; even more so with the various things you can change it to which can be used to exploit. I didn't post it because it's bad enough that some knew it, didn't need more learning it and abusing it.
Kigen
BANNED
Old 05-01-2010 , 20:23   Re: Name Changer Hack?
Reply With Quote #23

Meh, its possible to stop the name changing exploit. Like I said, I'll probably end up developing something down the line to stop this stuff. The only problem is that SM at its core tries to do stuff and so does a few other plugins. They might interfere.
EzzCargo
Old 05-04-2010 , 12:46   Re: Name Changer Hack?
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom0s View Post
Having the ability to change your name to anything is an exploit
'setinfo name' is such an exploit. Vac should ban anyone who uses it, because it gives whoever uses it such an advantage over everyone else on the server.

By your logic you probably think binds are exploits, too, right? You should type 'unbindall' in your console next time you play so you can't exploit anything like being able to shoot, or walk.
atom0s
Old 05-05-2010 , 21:19   Re: Name Changer Hack?
Reply With Quote #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzzCargo View Post
'setinfo name' is such an exploit. Vac should ban anyone who uses it, because it gives whoever uses it such an advantage over everyone else on the server.

By your logic you probably think binds are exploits, too, right? You should type 'unbindall' in your console next time you play so you can't exploit anything like being able to shoot, or walk.
The things that can be done with 'setinfo name' are exploits, not the command itself.

Which is why I said what I said and avoided posting how to do this trick. There are various things you can set your name to to both grief others, crash servers, exploit commands/plugins/etc. which are what fall into what I was mentioning.

I never said the command was an exploit, I said the ability to change your name freely is. (Again, based on what I said in this post.)