Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

L4D Versus Tools [Obsolete]

Post New Thread Reply   

CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 02-19-2009 , 00:05   L4D Versus Tools [Obsolete]
Reply With Quote #1

Im going to go ahead and release this, but be aware it does have bugs and has not been fully tested.

What Is It?
This plugin just allows you to run any Left 4 Dead map on versus mode. Once its loaded, each time the map changes it will tell it to use 8 human players as opposed to only 4, thus allowing you to play both the Death Toll and Dead Air on versus mode.

How to Install it?
Just extract the files to your left4dead folder exactly as they are in the compressed file. It is alright to overwrite the addons folder as this just adds the new files to it. You will have to either use console or restart the server for it to take effect.

**Warning**
It is not without bugs, however I do not play Left 4 Dead, and dont really have a lot of time to be testing it, so if you find some let me know and I will see what I can do to fix them. The main problem at the moment seems to be on the non versus maps, it uses the campaign settings. This can be solved by changing all of the cvars to what they should be for versus, but I dont have the time to add that at the moment. I will be looking for a function that will tell the server to use the proper settings in the meantime.

Screenshot:
http://www.apex-games.net/left4dead/...rsus_lobby.jpg

*Todo List*

1) Fix campaign settings being used for Versus mode
Attached Files
File Type: rar l4dtools.rar (41.7 KB, 1776 views)
File Type: gz l4dservertools.tar.gz (215.6 KB, 1169 views)

Last edited by CrimsonGT; 05-16-2009 at 20:30.
kaffaljidhma
Old 02-19-2009 , 00:27   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #2

A quick companion piece to this would be a bunch of cvars that differ between campaign and versus. I've collected all the ones I can find. Um, how do I do this...

Code:
director_no_human_zombies 0
sm_cvar tongue_break_from_damage_amount 300
sm_cvar tongue_choke_damage_amount 5
sm_cvar tongue_cone_start_tolerance 0.004999
sm_cvar tongue_dropping_to_ground_time 0.500000
sm_cvar tongue_hit_delay 15
sm_cvar tongue_kill_smoker_on_detach 0
sm_cvar tongue_los_forgiveness_time 1.5
sm_cvar tongue_no_progress_choke_early_delay 1
sm_cvar tongue_miss_delay 3
sm_cvar z_exploding_splat 0
sm_cvar z_gas_limit 2
sm_cvar z_hunter_limit 2
sm_cvar z_max_stagger_duration 0.899999
sm_cvar z_pounce_damage_interrupt 150
sm_cvar z_spawn_safety_range 200
sm_cvar z_lunge_distance_damage 1
sm_cvar z_pounce_damage_range_min 300
sm_cvar z_pounce_stumble_radius 160
sm_cvar z_scrimmage_creep_rate 100
sm_cvar z_scrimmage_creep_delay 0
sm_cvar director_race_mode 1
sm_cvar z_ghost_allowed_in_battlefield 1
sm_cvar commentary_available 0
sm_cvar z_ghost_los_expected_progress 2000
sm_cvar director_swap_teams 1

If you put this in a config file or whatever, then you won't notice much of a difference between a faux-versus campaign map and a real versus map (except for invisible walls and crashing at the finale if you win). Also note that there may be variables I missed due to not knowing how to get an accurate cvarlist and the fact that I performed the compare about one patch ago. Cheers!

edit: oh yeah, these are versus values. If you're using a cfg file and not a plugin, I'd suggest making it separate from your server.cfg so you can trigger these changes with a single commentable exec campaigntoversus. Or whatever.

edit2: I updated these cvars to their most recent values, and added some.

Last edited by kaffaljidhma; 02-24-2009 at 05:11. Reason: Update
Atreus
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-19-2009 , 05:05   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #3

Crimson, have I ever mentioned how beautiful you are?

I can't wait for the spec plugin, now
Send a message via AIM to Atreus Send a message via MSN to Atreus
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 02-19-2009 , 06:43   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #4

Yeah yeah im working on it
Old 02-19-2009 , 14:14   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #5

I feel I should mention the testing screenshot Crimson posted above is a side effect of the plugin

Upon completion of a campaign (Dead Air in this case) the server will return to lobby and show that campaign's first map in the lobby. After one game on each locked campaign, there are some things to note:

- Public players CAN join the game, provided they use quick join (so that it doesn't specify a map)
- The server DOES return players to lobby after the finale, it doesn't crash in our experience.

Last edited by Apex_; 02-25-2009 at 18:16. Reason: removed third point, new info
Atreus
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-25-2009 , 16:43   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #6

I wanted to report back and say this worked WONDERFULLY with the cvar list posted above. We had none of the bugs Apex_ did.
Send a message via AIM to Atreus Send a message via MSN to Atreus
Apex_
Old 02-25-2009 , 18:23   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #7

I did some digging around in the cvars and I think I pinned down the odd tank/witch spawns. Edited my previous post, because it doesn't seem to be the Director Enforcer that does it, sorry for any confusion.

From what I can tell, the versus balance system that gives both teams reasonably equal witch and tank placement is unique to Normal difficulty only. If you run Hard difficulty in versus, it seems to revert to the original (pre-patch) system that has much wider tolerances and isn't 100% even. Hopefully I can pin down one of the SM gurus when the SDK comes out to see if that's the case.

Personally I kind of like the wider range of spawns, since I've grown pretty tired of the huge advantage the infected team gets by knowing where everything spawns.

BACK ON TOPIC: The above cvarlist works excellently, huge thanks to you, kaffaljidhma.

Last edited by Apex_; 02-25-2009 at 18:24. Reason: redundant redundancy is redundant
halo4life
Old 02-27-2009 , 06:14   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #8

Could you make this have an option to only force versus on maps made for versus?
Apex_
Old 02-27-2009 , 13:19   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo4life View Post
Could you make this have an option to only force versus on maps made for versus?
Why not use DDR Khat's Director Enforcer and a map config? You could eliminate the plugin entirely and use

Code:
sm cvar director_no_human_zombies "0"
in a map config for each versus map.

I'm guessing you're running a direct connect (ip/steamgroup) server instead of using the lobby. I got tired of all the annoyances and simply started using sv_search_key and the lobby.
halo4life
Old 02-27-2009 , 23:02   Re: L4D Versus Tools
Reply With Quote #10

Actually I'm using the lobby, and an easier way to force the lobby to join your server is by typing in sv_cheats 1 in the lobby when you're the leader and then when you start searching for a server type ms_force_dedicated_server ip:port.