Steampipe.. speculate

Post New Thread Reply   

psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 02-27-2013 , 09:48   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteeneleven View Post
Is that currently implemented? or planned for a future update, because its working fine on my server (with fastdl) and WebNoob said that its not working for him using the 'custom' folder.
MM:S would be crashing on load without a pending fix if they were still loading from the addons dir in the same way that they were when this beta started.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-27-2013 , 17:51   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher Dunn
Team Fortress 2 Beta:
* Fix custom audio sometimes using data from wrong sound cache.
* Sound cache for official shipping content now updated with the game, clients no longer need to compute it
* Misc audio system optimizations
* VPK structure changes. Deleted "models" and "materials", added "textures".
* Reordered files in VPK's to optimize load times by limiting disk seeking.
* Dedicated server: removed textures and sounds from dedicated server distribution. Installation size reduced by approx 7.5GB
* Synced with TF release

Please note that, as a result of the VPK reordering, this update will be a large download. The server download is approximately 500MB. The client download is approx 2GB.
Will the removal of sounds and textures from the server install affect any of the Precache functions?

Last edited by Powerlord; 02-27-2013 at 17:51.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-27-2013 , 19:09   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #43

I'm coming in here kinda late in the discussion but I've nearly filtered out every email in regards to this cause of just soo many... so I guess my question is what do I need to change to ensure stability and functional servers when this is pushed out? I do have some custom materials and models for say the jetpack plugin but that is it, will this effect that or anything else?
zeroibis
Veteran Member
Old 02-27-2013 , 19:17   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebNoob View Post
Unfortunately, there is no "models" or "sound" folder. I've tried to use the new "custom" folder structure suggested (i.e. custom/mystuff/models) , but so far plugins that use the custom materials still think they do not exist.
So we are going to need to reprogram every plugin that uses custom anything with new paths? Other than to break shit how does this update help us, oh so we can use the steamcmd that no one likes to do our updates?
Old 02-27-2013 , 19:50   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
So we are going to need to reprogram every plugin that uses custom anything with new paths? Other than to break shit how does this update help us, oh so we can use the steamcmd that no one likes to do our updates?
Nothing really needs to be changed. The file paths are the same, the engine just looks in more places for them now.
Old 02-27-2013 , 20:04   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
Nothing really needs to be changed. The file paths are the same, the engine just looks in more places for them now.

so pretty much its command lines for executing the servers.. linux cmd lines and then bat file changes for command lines on windows with the new update tool target vs the old tool.

I sure hope this makes the updates come in faster with it less likely to have a "hand shake" failure for 10-20mins on a rather large update.
zeroibis
Veteran Member
Old 02-27-2013 , 20:24   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
So is the issue WebNoob is talking about just becuase SM is not checking the new paths yet by default or something?
Old 02-27-2013 , 20:31   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #48

Some plugins mis-use the FileExists to manually check rather than just passing to the precache functions.
Obviously this doesn't work unless the param to use the Valve filesystem rather than direct access is passed as true.
Old 02-27-2013 , 20:52   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
I'm coming in here kinda late in the discussion but I've nearly filtered out every email in regards to this cause of just soo many... so I guess my question is what do I need to change to ensure stability and functional servers when this is pushed out? I do have some custom materials and models for say the jetpack plugin but that is it, will this effect that or anything else?
Are you running naris' modified jetpack plugin? I keep getting some sound error when I start it and immediately crashes server (Windows).
CuriousG
Old 02-27-2013 , 20:54   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
so pretty much its command lines for executing the servers.. linux cmd lines and then bat file changes for command lines on windows with the new update tool target vs the old tool.

I sure hope this makes the updates come in faster with it less likely to have a "hand shake" failure for 10-20mins on a rather large update.
The client update was ~2GB today but when I updated the server it took less than 3min. I don't know how big the update to the server was. Once you do the initial SteamPipe install, it is a full server download anyway (no upgrade option).