Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware

Post New Thread Reply   

Blizzard_87
Veteran Member
Old 06-18-2015 , 19:46   Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #1

If not allowed in this section admin can delete.

Im currently trying to find good anti-virus & anti-malware software for my PC which to replace my current ones incase they arent good enough.

Anti-Virus => AVG Internet Security
Anti-Malware => MalwareBytes

are free versions good enough protection against 99.9% of whats out there or would buying the full versions be the best source of protection?..

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2015 , 20:11   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #2

I hear Google can get you a bunch of answers to your question.
Old 06-18-2015 , 22:54   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
I hear Google can get you a bunch of answers to your question.
I'm aware of that. Altho I do respect members on here who may have a better insight then a simple Google search. Since most members here are very knowledgeable in computer areas.

Google is also good for searching health problems. Altho we also seek help from people who know better think they are called doctors?
Old 06-19-2015 , 00:09   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard_87 View Post
Google is also good for searching health problems. Altho we also seek help from people who know better think they are called doctors?
So you go to some other website that appears to have people that have experience in the health business? There are many respectable magazines and e-zines that review this type of stuff.
Old 06-19-2015 , 00:56   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
So you go to some other website that appears to have people that have experience in the health business? There are many respectable magazines and e-zines that review this type of stuff.
Dude stop being a trolling asshole, seriously. Your health example was beyond pathetic - nothing will replace a doctor within the forseeable future.

On topic: I don't use any antivirus software on my windows machines and they have been running quickly (fast) and smoothly for the past couple of years. My "antivirus" so to speak is:

- Installing adblocking software on all web browsers
- Not installing the Java Virtual Machine (though this may be too extreme)
- Running questionable/untrusted programs in a virtual machine

The best antivirus is your brain. Avoid visiting questionable sites, avoid downloading questionable files, and you should never have to run an antivirus scan.

From my experience, antivirus programs just hog a lot of system resources, and never find anything on my system, so that tells me 2 things: (A) my system is either perfectly clean or (B) if any malware does exist on my system, it was smart enough to avoid antivirus detection every time. Either way, those 2 reasons are why I don't run AV anymore, but that's just me.

That being said, I do have firewalls enabled, so make sure firewalls are active so that hackers can't break into your machine.
CryWolf
Veteran Member
Old 06-19-2015 , 01:35   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #6

Potato has right in all ways, but to be shure install and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware it's the best program you dont need Anti-Virus too.
Send a message via MSN to CryWolf Send a message via Yahoo to CryWolf
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-19-2015 , 04:05   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #7

I like to run Bitdefender Anti-virus and Malwarebytes Anti-malware. I used to run Avast but decided to switch over to Bitdefender since It has a less intrusive UI and less popups.

It's up to you if you don't want to run any anti-virus software or anti-malware applications but you should be extremely careful when doing that since you can always run into issues down the road if a rogue virus or rogue malware manages to sneak onto your PC and cause you too many problems with getting it out.
Blizzard_87
Veteran Member
Old 06-19-2015 , 04:38   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #8

Thanks for your feed back guys. Just the answers I was looking for

Last edited by Blizzard_87; 06-19-2015 at 04:38.
Arkshine
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 06-19-2015 , 07:01   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #9

I tried once Bitdefender for the sake of testing something different and because it has often some good reviews (http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/...liers-windows/), but the thing is its installation is quite intrusive, I had some issue with mothercard drivers, and the UI is quite slow and horrible. Overall I had a kind of bad experience with it, so I'm back Microsoft Security essential which is enough for me, a basic protection, considering I know what I'm doing and don't download/open fishy things. Also, MSE is quite light.

Last edited by Arkshine; 06-19-2015 at 07:04.
klippy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-19-2015 , 07:16   Re: Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
Reply With Quote #10

I'm running both Linux and Windows on my PC.
I don't use any anti-virus/malware software on Linux, but I've used Malware-Bytes on Windows before, scanning my whole PC a couple times a week. Now that I switched to Windows 8.1, Windows Defender is just enough for me. As Arkshine said, you need minimal defense if you know what you're doing.