Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)

Post New Thread Reply   

DontWannaName
Veteran Member
Old 06-27-2010 , 16:07   Re: Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #111

Lets just say they would patch it eventually and would lose all faith in server admins.

CarlZalph
Old 06-27-2010 , 16:53   Re: Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontWannaName View Post
Lets just say they would patch it eventually and would lose all faith in server admins.
Thus, losing people from playing their games.

So it would definitely be a bad move on their part.
Mecha the Slag
Veteran Member
Old 06-27-2010 , 16:56   Re: Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontWannaName View Post
they would with this "patch" too if it got out of hand

so they're in the same boat
Old 06-27-2010 , 17:59   Re: Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #114

so hats, extensions, equipment manager dont work anymore?
voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 06-27-2010 , 18:11   Re: Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha the Slag View Post
Voogru you can delete all you want, but eventually people will find out, just like I did. You can't hide the inevitable. It's a quite obvious flaw in their patch. The only reason I would ever need to use the workaround is because your "patch" is so limited and breaks so often that its rubbish to me. It's only good for people who wants custom hats and has OCD enough to update the patch ever so often. There is no patch for allowing plugins to display entities above people's heads, and until there is, a workaround is a perfectly capable solution.

Additionally there is nothing preventing me from sharing it outside the forums anyway, it's not going away just because you delete the posts you don't like.
You can use my patch for any attachment, not just hats. The only thing you really need to do for some attachments is remove the bonemerge flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha the Slag View Post
Relying on the morality of developers is a bad idea, especially since you're only enforcing it on this forum, not the other countless unofficial SourceMod development forums.
As for the workaround, yes it's terrible if people start to abuse it to get official hats, but the workaround provides more customization features that Voogru's patch simply can't do because it's rubbish.

What do I do if I want an object above client's head? I can't use this since it only works for hats. The workaround is perfect for those situations.
And it's not like the workaround = instant abuse. It relies just as much on morale as this extension does, but doesn't have the downside of being completely rubbish. And if it turns out to turn into a fake hat rave party, then Valve can always patch it.

basically: this extension = rubbish, the workaround = not rubbish and Valve can patch it at any time they want if they think it gets abused. They both rely on morale so they are no different, except for the fact that the workaround isn't poor in customization.

Again, remove the bonemerge flag and place the entity over the player. You might have to clear the parent, set it's position, and then setparent it again, though.

Last edited by voogru; 06-28-2010 at 00:38.
Sam-1-14
Old 06-28-2010 , 10:47   Re: Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #116

Current flaws:
-Attachments are:
-Not Team-coloring
-Appearing on disguised spies(seen by enemy team)
-Appearing when the rmf disguise jutsu is active
-Lighting is incorrect and sometimes causes models with the correct illumposition to be black(in some cases the entire player).
-Sometimes the extension stops working
-Makes some servers really bugged and in some cases, it crashes them or makes them near unplayable
Arg!
Veteran Member
Old 06-28-2010 , 17:08   Re: Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-1-14 View Post
Current flaws:
-Attachments are:
-Not Team-coloring
using the original method wasnt 'team coloring' either, a plugin would have to handle this.

original method would also have displayed on disguised spies - plugin must handle.

This extension wont do all the work for you, it merely provides a valve accepted way to do what we used to be able to achieve by calling SetParent on entities.
Old 06-28-2010 , 19:38   Re: Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-1-14 View Post
Current flaws:
-Attachments are:
-Not Team-coloring
-Appearing when the rmf disguise jutsu is active
-Lighting is incorrect and sometimes causes models with the correct illumposition to be black(in some cases the entire player).
-Sometimes the extension stops working
-Makes some servers really bugged and in some cases, it crashes them or makes them near unplayable
These are logic problems for plug-ins themselves to resolve.
FoxMulder
Old 06-28-2010 , 20:03   Re: Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #119

Is it possible to have the attachment a prop_dynamic or an option to choose between the prop_physics? I'd like to attach an orb or something above the player's head and have it animate.
Old 06-28-2010 , 20:20   Re: Patch for player attachments (MM:S and SM)
Reply With Quote #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulder View Post
Is it possible to have the attachment a prop_dynamic or an option to choose between the prop_physics? I'd like to attach an orb or something above the player's head and have it animate.
The entity the extension creates is actually a prop_physics, it's given the classname of a tf_wearable_item so that it didn't break the equipment manager which relied on the classname.