Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

L4D2 - The Last Stand Update - Issues and Bugs - Mega Thread

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Psyk0tik
Veteran Member
Old 12-04-2020 , 16:46   Re: L4D2 - The Last Stand Update - Issues and Bugs - Mega Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
I'd say the update was a mixed bag in terms of this community.

A lot of guys who've done great work in sourcemod AND workshop did contribute to this update in one way or another.

I like a lot of the cosmetics like the animations and the l4d1 specials. However the new melee weapons are pretty crap. I do agree with what they did to the knife though. The old knife was more lethal than some of the stock melee weapons, so I have no problem with the nerf.

However, positives aside. The update absolutely made server instability a big issue. Now with the small updates they push out combined with the coders around here becoming less and less frequent. It does put the game in a bad state going forward in terms of the sourcemod community.
The state of the L4D/L4D2 aspect of the SM community already dwindled down to almost nothing over the past decade. This major update is like a nail in the coffin because the update team has no interest nor compassion for community servers. The only part of the SM community they seem to care about is the competitive side, hence why they were courteous enough to inform ProdigySim of the game data changes (mainly offsets), even though he hasn't been active in the SM scene. They only care about server stability related to SM if it affects plugins that help setup their competitive environments. Of course, this shouldn't really come as a surprise to any of us because they screwed over the workshop as well. There are thousands of workshop mods that will forever be broken because most of the modding aspect of the community has moved on from the game, and therefore have no interest in coming back to "fix" their mods.

It also doesn't help that the update team lets their egos get to them and assume that they know what's best for the community without even consulting any active players. Before the first trailer for the update, there were no polls, no discussions, and no beta tests held for the update. They were also intentionally very vague with the many changes they made as part of their "we're so excited to surprise you with our 'talent'" scheme. Even months after the update, we still don't know every little thing they've changed so we can't even form our own update team to fix the TLS update team's fuck-ups. If we actually knew exactly what they changed, down to the very last semi-colon of a long-ass code block, maybe people like Silvers, Lux, Dragokas, Marttt, cravenge, HarryPotter, BHaType, Spirit, and I could actually do SOMETHING.
Old 12-04-2020 , 19:11   Re: L4D2 - The Last Stand Update - Issues and Bugs - Mega Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher_3637 View Post
The state of the L4D/L4D2 aspect of the SM community already dwindled down to almost nothing over the past decade. This major update is like a nail in the coffin because the update team has no interest nor compassion for community servers. The only part of the SM community they seem to care about is the competitive side, hence why they were courteous enough to inform ProdigySim of the game data changes (mainly offsets), even though he hasn't been active in the SM scene. They only care about server stability related to SM if it affects plugins that help setup their competitive environments. Of course, this shouldn't really come as a surprise to any of us because they screwed over the workshop as well. There are thousands of workshop mods that will forever be broken because most of the modding aspect of the community has moved on from the game, and therefore have no interest in coming back to "fix" their mods.

It also doesn't help that the update team lets their egos get to them and assume that they know what's best for the community without even consulting any active players. Before the first trailer for the update, there were no polls, no discussions, and no beta tests held for the update. They were also intentionally very vague with the many changes they made as part of their "we're so excited to surprise you with our 'talent'" scheme. Even months after the update, we still don't know every little thing they've changed so we can't even form our own update team to fix the TLS update team's fuck-ups. If we actually knew exactly what they changed, down to the very last semi-colon of a long-ass code block, maybe people like Silvers, Lux, Dragokas, Marttt, cravenge, HarryPotter, BHaType, Spirit, and I could actually do SOMETHING.
Oh im not disagreeing. I've intentionally stayed away from the crossfire between those guys and the community because I knew where it was gonna go on those community pages.

It wasn't much different after the Cold Stream update back when they worked with another guy in the community for that campaign. Its a quick pump and dump.

Last edited by Sev; 12-04-2020 at 19:13.
Spirit_12
Veteran Member
Old 12-05-2020 , 03:34   Re: L4D2 - The Last Stand Update - Issues and Bugs - Mega Thread

The problem with this update was the people in charge. We are talking about promod community who has their way if playing. I've been running my server for half a decade now and have played exclusively on custom maps with mods since 2012.

I have rocket spawns on my server so infected can surprise you. With charger chestbump gone the charger has become really tanky. He can just punch and then charge doing double the damage. I also agree that charger has got a buff. The hitboxes are trash and since the custom mod that I run is strictly based in fast paced action. It's actually gotten really bad.

I tried reverting back to the old server, however the whole network protocol has been changed and client won't connect to older network protocol. All in all this update didn't bring anything that the community / sourcemod had already accomplished.

Anyone who played custom maps, you can see why adding two crappy melee weapons is just not enough. The only thing that I like about the update is the finale stage progress that they added. Besides that everything has been really y bad.
Old 12-05-2020 , 06:04   Re: L4D2 - The Last Stand Update - Issues and Bugs - Mega Thread

Anyone experiencing crashes since the update due to this model (models/props_unique\zombiebreakwallexteriorhospitalf rame01_dm.mdl) not being precached?
This specificly happens on No Mercy map 4, it seems to be the breakable wall on the left as you leave the elevator.

Here is the console output:
Code:
45/ - prop_dynamic_override:  UTIL_SetModel:  not precached: models/props_unique\zombiebreakwallexteriorhospitalframe01_dm.m
45/ - prop_dynamic_override:  UTIL_SetModel:  not precached: models/props_unique\zombiebreakwallexteriorhospitalframe01_dm.m
I've tried the obvious, but did not make difference:
Code:
PrecacheModel("models/props_unique\\zombiebreakwallexteriorhospitalframe01_dm.mdl", true);
Sev
Veteran Member
Old 12-05-2020 , 06:15   Re: L4D2 - The Last Stand Update - Issues and Bugs - Mega Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight9 View Post
Anyone experiencing crashes since the update due to this model (models/props_unique\zombiebreakwallexteriorhospitalf rame01_dm.mdl) not being precached?
This specificly happens on No Mercy map 4, it seems to be the breakable wall on the left as you leave the elevator.

Here is the console output:
Code:
I've tried the obvious, but did not make difference:
Code:
PrecacheModel("models/props_unique\\zombiebreakwallexteriorhospitalframe01_dm.mdl", true);
I had a crash going into that map the other day. My only other guess is remove the prop wall via stripper and its ID.
midnight9
Old 12-05-2020 , 07:03   Re: L4D2 - The Last Stand Update - Issues and Bugs - Mega Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
I had a crash going into that map the other day. My only other guess is remove the prop wall via stripper and its ID.
Its not listed in strippers dump though.
HarryPotter
Veteran Member
Old 12-05-2020 , 11:09   Re: L4D2 - The Last Stand Update - Issues and Bugs - Mega Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRololo312312 View Post
Disagree. Stringtable crash fix
When did they mention Stringtable crash fix? can you send me link?

Quote:
melee/custom model bug fix alone made the TLS update worth it.
You just only saw models, melees, weapons, skins, what else? Go on, I'm listening
We, most of the SM community, workshop community feel pretty bad.

I appreciate they(TLS team) improve some stuff and add more new features, but
on the other hand, which means they just adding more and more new bugs and crashes.

Last edited by HarryPotter; 12-09-2020 at 07:05.
Dragokas
Veteran Member
Old 12-05-2020 , 11:50   Re: L4D2 - The Last Stand Update - Issues and Bugs - Mega Thread

midnight9, try:

PHP Code:
public void OnMapStart()
{
PrecacheModel("models/props_unique/zombiebreakwallexteriorhospitalframe01_dm.mdl"true);

or use my collection fix (attached).

HarryPotter, he means client-sided 'models' StringTable, where they increased buffer size from 1024 to 2048 indexes.
However, that is not the only problem related to StringTables overflow. E.g. this one.
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (l4d_Precacher.sp - 171 views - 11.2 KB)

Last edited by Dragokas; 12-05-2020 at 11:52.
cravenge
Veteran Member
Old 12-05-2020 , 18:08   Re: L4D2 - The Last Stand Update - Issues and Bugs - Mega Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragokas View Post
However, that is not the only problem related to StringTables overflow. E.g. this one.
That is not a problem with the game but rather the map itself. If a map produces such error like the one you have provided, the only conclusion to be drawn would be said map not having a stringtable dictionary included after compiled. Thus, crashing servers whenever new clients join midgame.

You can try approaching the map creator to do a quick hotfix. The alternate option is creating that stringtable dictionary yourself but at the cost of your clients having to download a different version of the map from the original which would also mean a hassle for them to manually switch one with the other when they try to play on other servers.

Last edited by cravenge; 12-05-2020 at 18:12.
Dragokas
Veteran Member
Old 12-05-2020 , 19:04   Re: L4D2 - The Last Stand Update - Issues and Bugs - Mega Thread

cravenge, thank you. I know that it is a map problem. I fixed like ~20 maps by rebuilding that cache.
However, there are too many problems:
- there are too many maps for L4D1 with such a problem (I don't have statistics for L4D2), causing that many of them require a fix.
But, according to rumors from server owners, there are also a lot of such addon maps in L4D2 as well (including a fresh crash report in Github from me).
- most L4D1 maps are no more supported by the author, causing the next problem:
- we have no source of those maps, causing another problem:
- not all maps successfully survive the rebuilding dictionary by console commands (without normal recompilation from the source), causing the map to become totally broken
- not all maps allow re-building such table causing instant client crash in mid-time of re-building attempt.
- as you already said, the new map should be downloaded by all players. It's one more large problem for us, including another problem:
- no workshop for L4D1, where I could upload a fixed map
- (not verified) players who still have an old map and trying to connect to can cause the same crash

Some smart patch in that function could resolve all these problems, whether it comes from Community or Valve (it doesn't matter).
At the moment, I'm trying to understand, how the engine works in that part. Why it tries to rebuild a dictionary every time somebody connected rather than only once per map starts. Maybe it has some mark related to whether dictionary file exists in bsp archive, maybe something else, dunno. All I know is that the map can be perfectly passed without any dictionary in bsp and crashes until somebody tries to connect to the server in mid-game. If somebody has a good knowledge of the engine in that part of map initializing mechanism, please PM me for some help. Appreciate.

Finally, we are back to the same dilemma: not a Valve content = not a Valve problem. I understand. But, I don't support the principle.

Last edited by Dragokas; 12-05-2020 at 19:13.
Closed Thread