Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[Tutorial] How to PROPERLY make a self toggle command

Post New Thread Reply   

sdz
Old 01-21-2014 , 02:40   [Tutorial] How to PROPERLY make a self toggle command
Reply With Quote #1

So I see that alot of people like to uh.. make a command with a 0|1 option to toggle it on/off, and personally that's just inefficient for the user/admin.
Before I start: I want to say that this is generally what I like to do, as it might be a little extra work on my end, but it defiantly looks much nicer and refined.

Instead of using an argument to declare if we want to have, for instance, God Mode enabled, we can use a Global Variable.

This will be our FINISHED PRODUCT:
Spoiler

Here is an example of the OLD METHOD.
Spoiler

I'm no master of sourcepawn, but I can tell you that there's really a ton wrong with this. For one, perhaps someone puts an argument value of 2? To fix this problem, we'll add a global client boolean, Implement our OnClientConnect()/OnClientPostAdminCheck() and OnClientDisconnect() and modify our godmode command slightly:
Spoiler

As you can see, we've used our boolean to check and determine if the player has godmode. We also set it to 0 when they connect and disconnect because if we didn't, a player could leave and another would take their place, and this would assign the old client's value to the new client. (Pretty much, g_bIsEnabled[22].)

EXTRA NOTES:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post

Here's some more suggestions for making a command like this (that supports targeting other players)
  • Do CheckCommandAccess on an override similar to but different from the command name, such as "sm_godmode_admin" or "sm_godmode_targetothers" if your command was sm_godmode. If the player does not have access to that override (and/or no arguments exist), then ignore all arguments and simply toggle godmode on the using player, as you have done already in your code.
  • If the player has access to the override, and at least 1 argument has been given, run that first argument through ProcessTargetString.
  • If a second argument is not given, toggle godmode on all the given targets provided by ProcessTargetString. If a second argument WAS given, use the argument to determine if godmode should be toggled/enabled/disabled.

Last edited by sdz; 01-22-2014 at 00:22.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2014 , 02:48   Re: [Tutorial] How to PROPERLY make a toggle command
Reply With Quote #2

enabled = !enabled
if(enabled)

Or invert it in the if?
sdz
Old 01-21-2014 , 02:50   Re: [Tutorial] How to PROPERLY make a toggle command
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
enabled = !enabled
if(enabled)

Or invert it in the if?
Something I learned in my time here is that the newer plugin developers are semi-braindead and require you to put everything in long terms, but yes your way would work I suppose, but it just looks alot weirder.. that and I just wanted to keep this as self-explanatory and basic as it could possibly get.

Last edited by sdz; 01-21-2014 at 02:52.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2014 , 07:07   Re: [Tutorial] How to PROPERLY make a toggle command
Reply With Quote #4

There are a few things I notice people doing:
Over/under validating clients.
Storing/passing entities or clients rather than using entrefs/serials/userids in delayed callbacks.
Using new instead of decl when the variable is going to be overwritten.
Disregarding return values of natives that have significant return values (usually bools, but also things like using isvalidentity instead of just checking for -1/INVALID_ENT_REFERENCE).
Making new variables before passing them to other functions, or using them in various statements (if, switch, etc), rather than just passing the return value.
Using servercommand, to change cvars or execute commands, rather than implementing the natives behind what needs to be done, or creating new natives to interface with related plugins.

Other stuff:
Using includes/stocks that don't really do anything other than add extra overhead for the mod they are working with.
Adding translation and config files to simple things that do not need them.

Annoying stuff:
Making code unreadable by using bad indentation, multiple file includes that don't make sense or are not necessary, or using inconsistent nesting (if / break / continue / return).
Reading in and constantly traversing a large file of keyvakues, rather than storing parts of them in a more optimized format for what you need, be it static vars/arrays, or tries/adt arrays.
Not using pragma semicolon.
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 01-21-2014 , 09:38   Re: [Tutorial] How to PROPERLY make a toggle command
Reply With Quote #5

Spoiler

Half of that probably consists of my coding lmao xD
What i'm seeing more now days is people storing player data in enums. i would like to know the down fall of that, does that use up more memory per say?

Re-wrote the short plugin, i replaced alot. you dont really need #defines if you are only replacing one thing with them. Version should be the only #define, especially if you plan on releasing something like this it makes it easier to update the cvar and the plugin version at the same time.
Also you were doing a RegConsoleCmd on MapStart, im not entirely sure about this one, but im sure it's wrong, since you only need to do it on plugin start and unforseen things might happen with the code (like executing twice after a few map changes.)
Spoiler

Last edited by Mitchell; 01-21-2014 at 09:41.
sdz
Old 01-21-2014 , 11:35   Re: [Tutorial] How to PROPERLY make a toggle command
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
There are a few things I notice people doing:
Over/under validating clients.
Storing/passing entities or clients rather than using entrefs/serials/userids in delayed callbacks.
Using new instead of decl when the variable is going to be overwritten.
Disregarding return values of natives that have significant return values (usually bools, but also things like using isvalidentity instead of just checking for -1/INVALID_ENT_REFERENCE).
Making new variables before passing them to other functions, or using them in various statements (if, switch, etc), rather than just passing the return value.
Using servercommand, to change cvars or execute commands, rather than implementing the natives behind what needs to be done, or creating new natives to interface with related plugins.

Other stuff:
Using includes/stocks that don't really do anything other than add extra overhead for the mod they are working with.
Adding translation and config files to simple things that do not need them.

Annoying stuff:
Making code unreadable by using bad indentation, multiple file includes that don't make sense or are not necessary, or using inconsistent nesting (if / break / continue / return).
Reading in and constantly traversing a large file of keyvakues, rather than storing parts of them in a more optimized format for what you need, be it static vars/arrays, or tries/adt arrays.
Not using pragma semicolon.
I didn't pragma semicolon for this, but defiantly what you're saying here is the efficiency clause of SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
Half of that probably consists of my coding lmao xD
What i'm seeing more now days is people storing player data in enums. i would like to know the down fall of that, does that use up more memory per say?

Re-wrote the short plugin, i replaced alot. you dont really need #defines if you are only replacing one thing with them. Version should be the only #define, especially if you plan on releasing something like this it makes it easier to update the cvar and the plugin version at the same time.
Also you were doing a RegConsoleCmd on MapStart, im not entirely sure about this one, but im sure it's wrong, since you only need to do it on plugin start and unforseen things might happen with the code (like executing twice after a few map changes.)
Spoiler
LOL I had NO idea I put it in MapStart, thanks for pointing that out. The if statement inside a single line thing just confuses me alot, so I'll stick to what I usually know

Last edited by sdz; 01-21-2014 at 11:37.
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 01-21-2014 , 11:54   Re: [Tutorial] How to PROPERLY make a toggle command
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasSidezz View Post
The if statement inside a single line thing just confuses me alot, so I'll stick to what I usually know
It's nice to get custom to, saves space when doing short things and could save time from copying and pasting.
These do the same thing. I like to use them in the cases of which i have to show a ON/OFF text in a print. I like having shorter code cause its easier to spot the bugs
Rant:

if(Statement)
{
Do this if true
}
else
{
Do this if false
}
is the same as:
(Statement) ? (Do this if true) : (Do this if false)

either which way is right. it just comes down to personal preferences. although it would be better if you have a lot of functions you needed to check against a bool you would use the bracket statements.
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2014 , 13:57   Re: [Tutorial] How to PROPERLY make a toggle command
Reply With Quote #8

This thread should be titled "How to PROPERLY make a self toggle command," as most commands would probably have some sort of admin targeting capability. Especially one that toggles godmode. And why return an error if arguments are provided? Why not just ignore the arguments?

Last edited by ddhoward; 01-21-2014 at 14:03.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-21-2014 , 15:27   Re: [Tutorial] How to PROPERLY make a toggle command
Reply With Quote #9

Why are you using "Action:3" instead of "Plugin_Handled" ?

Last edited by Powerlord; 01-21-2014 at 15:28.
sdz
Old 01-21-2014 , 16:49   Re: [Tutorial] How to PROPERLY make a toggle command
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Why are you using "Action" instead of "Plugin_Handled" ?
I like it more, I'm not sure why, that and I don't publish my plugins a whole lot, so I don't see the need. If it's proper conventions I'm fine with doing that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
It's nice to get custom to, saves space when doing short things and could save time from copying and pasting.
These do the same thing. I like to use them in the cases of which i have to show a ON/OFF text in a print. I like having shorter code cause its easier to spot the bugs
Rant:

if(Statement)
{
Do this if true
}
else
{
Do this if false
}
is the same as:
(Statement) ? (Do this if true) : (Do this if false)

either which way is right. it just comes down to personal preferences. although it would be better if you have a lot of functions you needed to check against a bool you would use the bracket statements.
Oh okay, thanks for explaining that.

Last edited by sdz; 01-21-2014 at 16:50.