Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Hosting CSGO server on VPS?

Post New Thread Reply   

ASKER_CZ
BANNED
Old 11-23-2017 , 09:38   Hosting CSGO server on VPS?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello guys, I would like to ask you what do you think about hosting CS:GO server on VPS?

VPS has :

1 vCore(s)
3.5 GHz
1 GB RAM
30 GB SSD
1 TB Traffic

I know that nobody should ever host CS:GO servers on VPS, but I need just 1 server in location where i will never buy dedicated server and purchasing game server is not profitable .

I need just small server with like 20 players and 85 tickrate +-. Do you think that this VPS can handle server like this with max 10sv +- ? Thank you for answers
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 11-23-2017 , 11:00   Re: Hosting CSGO server on VPS?
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASKER_CZ View Post
I know that nobody should ever host CS:GO servers on VPS, [...]
Lies and slander

Certain virtualization technologies gives a little overhead, which means that you will lose some "performance" with the virtualization, that's correct, but still if you're having "heavy enough" hardware, you won't notice it at all.

If you're running your own physical server, you can easily put it into virtual machines/VPS'es without problems, here you know the "neighbours", e.g. the other users on the physical machine, and you can easily terminate your friends or so there, assuming that they use too much resources.

On a public provider, e.g. by renting a VM/VPS at Example, Inc. (www.example.net), you will never know your neighbours. That's the issue, because as an neighbour there, I can easily use too many resources, so it will affect you.

On a public provider, the provider can also load 20 VM/VPS'es at the physical machine, even if the specifications is geared only for 10 VM/VPS'es, this thing is usually referred to as "overselling". E.g. can the provider press the citrus just enough for some extra profit?

Those are things that you'll never know for sure, and trying out each individual provider is the only way to say whether that provider is good enough for you or not. The fact that they are perfect today, is not a guarantee that they will still be perfect tomorrow.

CS:GO as well as any other games) will work just as perfect on a VM/VPS as it will on a dedicated server.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].

Last edited by DarkDeviL; 11-23-2017 at 11:03.
mlov420
Old 11-26-2017 , 17:29   Re: Hosting CSGO server on VPS?
Reply With Quote #3

It is perfectly fine to run csgo servers on VDS. I've been running on Windows VDS through NFO, both managed and unmanaged, for close to 5 years now and for the majority of server types there is no issue. Only processor heavy modes like zombies, etc.. would probably not be suitable for most VDS setups.

In regard to your question, the specs you provided should be good enough to run 1 server 20 slots or less, especially at 85 tick or less. The biggest factor will probably be what CPU model you are using. Most XEON E3- or higher CPU's would be okay, same with i7's I believe.
xtance
Old 08-22-2018 , 14:18   Re: Hosting CSGO server on VPS?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASKER_CZ View Post
I know that nobody should ever host CS:GO servers on VPS
I host 3 servers (slots : 16,21,15, tick : 64) on one VPS.
3x3060mhz + 2048 mb RAM + 60 gb SAS/SSD, for ~$8.5 a month
Thanks Linux and cheap hardware <З

Yes sorry for necroposting