Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Left 4 Dead survivor bots not shooting

Post New Thread Reply   

Psyk0tik
Veteran Member
Old 05-25-2021 , 17:33   Re: Left 4 Dead survivor bots not shooting
Reply With Quote #11

There's no public plugin that I know of that patches the function. The most I can do is tell you which function needs to be patched but that's about it. It's tedious to fetch all the necessary gamedata info.

You will want to patch the first byte of CDirector::AuditActivePipeBombs with 0xC3 to return early. It's called by CDirector::Update which is called in every frame. By "skipping" the audit, you would be making bots shoot common infected even when active pipe bombs are present, thus entirely avoiding the bug that causes them to stop shooting in the next map.

I couldn't find any downsides to using this patch when I tested it before.
Old 05-26-2021 , 04:33   Re: Left 4 Dead survivor bots not shooting
Reply With Quote #12

Hmmm, sounds like a lot of work - even if it meant having the bots shooting into zombies over an active pipe.

On my server, I use a locked door timer plugin for the safe rooms. A lot of players on my server tend to throw a pipe bomb just as the safe room door opens, mainly to try and dissipate the incoming hordes, then the players will close the door while the pipe fuse is still in countdown mode over a horde, it's at this point the glitch happens.

What I've done today, to help negate this glitch is use a dirty fix in the code of the locked door timer plugin - by shortening the pipe fuse to 2-seconds, so it gets activated more quickly at the last few seconds of the door countdown - just before door is about to open. This at least now gets those pipe bombs to explode before the saferoom door can be shut. It's not a perfect fix by any means, but at least it helps to neutralize the bug (most of the time). This fix can't work on all safe room doors though, for instance: map 1 of No Mercy, and map 2 Death Toll, the door lock timer plugin won't work with those maps for some unknown reason, and this also affects a few other doors in many addon maps too.

I guess this quick fix of mine will have to make do for now, as it's better than no fix at all.

Last edited by Sunyata; 05-26-2021 at 05:45. Reason: plugin link added
Psyk0tik
Veteran Member
Old 05-26-2021 , 16:23   Re: Left 4 Dead survivor bots not shooting
Reply With Quote #13

It really is a lot of work but that’s why it’s best to learn how to work with gamedata stuff in general. Patching, detouring, setting up SDK calls, etc. All of these are confusing and difficult at first but you’ll be able to create a lot of cool and powerful plugins with all this knowledge and you won’t have to rely on low-quality fixes to prevent bugs like that.
Old 09-13-2021 , 09:13   Re: Left 4 Dead survivor bots not shooting
Reply With Quote #14

At last I've finally found a good solution to the above bot glitch. Thankfully, Silvers has recently made a new plugin that allows the bots to keep shooting at the common Infected while the pipe bomb is in countdown mode. This plugin now stops that awful bot 'non-fighting' glitch from happening after the end safe-room door is shut and after the next map loads.

What makes Silvers' plugin work for me is that my hardcore server does not use player statistics - it's all about team work and not scoring, so it really doesn't matter if the bots are shooting at Infected around where the player's pipebomb has landed.

My appreciation to Silvers for making his plugin! \0/