Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[TF2] kick players using VPN & warn them instead of system automatically banning them

Post New Thread Reply   

Lachaine
Old 01-05-2021 , 00:15   [TF2] kick players using VPN & warn them instead of system automatically banning them
Reply With Quote #1

Hello!

I do apologise in advance if I have done something wrong or not followed the correct format while making this post.

I am currently trying to find some sort of plug in for a TF2 server. Right now, when a player with a VPN joins, SourceSleuth automatically detects the VPN and then proceeds to ban said player for using a duplicate account. Even though this is great on paper, the reality is that around 3-10 or more people get banned everyday on the server from forgetting to turn off their VPN. Instead of having that, I’m looking for a plug-in where a player is kicked from the server if they are detected using a VPN and then given a message upon being disconnected (Ex: “Disconnected. Reason: Please Turn Off Your VPN!”). I’m not really a tech savvy guy but am eager to attempt to pick up and learn coding, plugins and such. Any idea where I could start or find someone or something to help me create this if it isn’t already a thing?

Again, I would like to apologise if I’ve come to the complete wrong place and have not followed the set posting guidelines (Also sorry for posting in the wrong section before).
Sreaper
髪を用心
Old 01-05-2021 , 00:44   Re: [TF2] kick players using VPN & warn them instead of system automatically banning
Reply With Quote #2

Did a super lazy edit of SourceSleuth. The plugin should only kick now.
Attached Files
File Type: smx SourceSleuth.smx (6.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (SourceSleuth.sp - 78 views - 6.3 KB)

Last edited by Sreaper; 01-05-2021 at 00:44.
Lachaine
Old 01-05-2021 , 10:06   Re: [TF2] kick players using VPN & warn them instead of system automatically banning
Reply With Quote #3

Thank you very much!
azalty
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-05-2021 , 16:26   Re: [TF2] kick players using VPN & warn them instead of system automatically banning
Reply With Quote #4

SourceSleuth doesn't detect VPNs but players that connect with the SAME IP as a currently banned player, which means:
- This player is ban evading (70%+ chance)
- This player is from the same family/house, but not the banned one (?% chance)
- The banned player was using a VPN, and this player has the same VPN as him, and is connected on the same server (unlikely, but can happen)
- The banned player had a dynamic IP, and this player now has the same IP as the banned one because he has a dynamic IP too (0,001% chance)

Note that if this player connects less than a day after the original ban, there's 99% chance he is ban evading. Check account age as well to try to avoid false positives.

Last edited by azalty; 11-13-2022 at 15:33.
StrikeR14
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-06-2021 , 14:04   Re: [TF2] kick players using VPN & warn them instead of system automatically banning
Reply With Quote #5

Yup. As azalty said, you should be using https://github.com/CIDR-Blocker/CIDR-Blocker

My Plugins | My Discord Account
Lachaine
Old 01-07-2021 , 23:10   Re: [TF2] kick players using VPN & warn them instead of system automatically banning
Reply With Quote #6

Thank you, all of you
kermiekroese
Old 07-15-2022 , 12:36   Re: [TF2] kick players using VPN & warn them instead of system automatically banning
Reply With Quote #7

I had a similar problem with setting my CS: GO servers, I tried everything to set the setting properly, but my players kept receiving bans because some forgot to turn off their VPN services. The method I solve the issue with settings is the following> set in settings to send a warning message for players who are using private proxies(NOT VPNs) in this case, and the system will send this message to users who are using the VPN services as well. But keep in mind that players using the private residential proxy can be banned because, in most cases, the system thinks they are using VPNs.

Last edited by kermiekroese; 07-22-2022 at 09:17.
azalty
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-13-2022 , 15:39   Re: [TF2] kick players using VPN & warn them instead of system automatically banning
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermiekroese View Post
I had a similar problem with setting my CS: GO servers, I tried everything to set the setting properly, but my players kept receiving bans because some forgot to turn off their VPN services. The method I solve the issue with settings is the following> set in settings to send a warning message for players who are using private proxies(NOT VPNs) in this case, and the system will send this message to users who are using the VPN services as well. But keep in mind that players using the private residential proxy can be banned because, in most cases, the system thinks they are using VPNs.
Aren't private proxies VPNs in a sort?
All corporate IPs should be banned by default.

CIDR seems to have a built-in whitelist feature.
I personally have my own plugin which also allows you to kick player using VPNs/proxies: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=330779

There's also a whitelist system, as well as other tools to help you fight ban evading.

However, I strongly advise against banning VPNs and proxies. People should be able to hide their IP if they want to, and you shouldn't block this right unless you're in a serious ban evading situation.
Old 02-01-2023 , 10:19   Re: [TF2] kick players using VPN & warn them instead of system automatically banning
Reply With Quote #9

I had a similar problem with setting my CS: GO servers, I tried everything to set the setting properly, but my players kept receiving bans because some forgot to turn off their VPN services.