Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

How do you patch your hl1.dll to increase the precache limit?

Post New Thread Reply   

Prajch
Old 09-16-2010 , 01:56   Re: How do you patch your hl1.dll to increase the precache limit?
Reply With Quote #31

So amxmodx is allowed to manipulate memory on the client side? I had no idea, thought it could only modify server memory for security reasons.
Arkshine
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 09-16-2010 , 04:19   Re: How do you patch your hl1.dll to increase the precache limit?
Reply With Quote #32

Where did you see we modify the client side ? The client can't be accessed.
Old 09-16-2010 , 07:49   Re: How do you patch your hl1.dll to increase the precache limit?
Reply With Quote #33

Oh, well I thought that if the client needed to precache more than the hardcoded limit that the client's engine would need its memory space patched. I'm not that familiar with how the engine works but I figured the server generates a list of assets to be precached based on the map, mod and plugins, which it passes on to the client, who is then responsible for loading them from local files. Maybe it's not like that at all but in my mind you would have to convince the server to keep generating the list of items to precache after the 512th instead of crashing, and then manipulate the clients so that they could actually hold and access the bigger list of references.

Totally wrong?
Arkshine
Old 09-16-2010 , 08:51   Re: How do you patch your hl1.dll to increase the precache limit?
Reply With Quote #34

Well, to be honest, we either don't know how exactly client/engine work. We got an idea and we need to start from somewhere. By reading a lot the engine we start to understand step by step, testing new things etc. Maybe all we do is pointless because the client would need to be modified at the end, we don't know. From our test we can lost more than 512 models without problems. Like said by joripito, about the issue where you don't see the models in-game, when we test with the same size, it happens too. So we miss something or doing something wrong. Looking at the current state, we have some hope it would world fine after fixing this issue. We will see. ;)
Old 09-16-2010 , 10:38   Re: How do you patch your hl1.dll to increase the precache limit?
Reply With Quote #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkshine View Post
Maybe all we do is pointless because the client would need to be modified at the end, we don't know.
i dont think so, then if i change to a map with much precache stuff then
the server crashes, not the client, the map with all the plugins can used
on the client side without any problem (i got no problems as i tested it)
but who cares, valve do things we never know
Backstabnoob
Veteran Member
Old 09-16-2010 , 11:58   Re: How do you patch your hl1.dll to increase the precache limit?
Reply With Quote #36

The client can't crash, because hlds crashes first.
Old 09-16-2010 , 20:01   Re: How do you patch your hl1.dll to increase the precache limit?
Reply With Quote #37

If the DLL works alone then I can live with that. The plugin should be a secondary project if anything
Arkshine
Old 09-16-2010 , 20:59   Re: How do you patch your hl1.dll to increase the precache limit?
Reply With Quote #38

Good news ! It works.

After some headaches, dumb errors, we have finally get working it successfully.
To make sure, tried to set model with an index > 512, and it appears fine in-game.

Big thanks to joropito who made the module to allocate memory. He will post later. Without his help it would not even possible !

Now, the plugin is not finished. Only models are supported. I need to add sound and generic, clean up some things, making signatures of bytes, etc. It will be posted another day.

It was just an update.

Last edited by Arkshine; 09-16-2010 at 21:11.
joropito
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-16-2010 , 21:10   Re: How do you patch your hl1.dll to increase the precache limit?
Reply With Quote #39

I'm soooo happy

After 4 days, it's working

Divide et vinces
approved plugins | steam account

I don't accept PM for support. Just ask on forums.
If you're looking for private work, PM me.
Send a message via MSN to joropito
Arkshine
Old 09-16-2010 , 21:13   Re: How do you patch your hl1.dll to increase the precache limit?
Reply With Quote #40

But It was funny and we have gained more knowledge about the engine.