Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[TF2] Model Manager 1.0.4 (08/03/2013)

Post New Thread Reply   

MasterOfTheXP
Veteran Member
Old 09-07-2012 , 20:47   Re: [TF2] Model Manager 1.0.2 (01/12/2012)
Reply With Quote #501

Just removed Model Manager for a bit, from server start to server crash, it was never loaded. It crashed after 30 minutes (as usual) this time with an overflow of the GameRulesCreation stringtable.
Veteran Member
Old 09-07-2012 , 21:46   Re: [TF2] Model Manager 1.0.2 (01/12/2012)
Reply With Quote #502

I've had it running for some 10 hours or so without any issues with the MM, going to add models 1 by one until it crashes.

Valve has introduced all sorts of model bugs as of MVM, so it's no surprise that there are these issues. There's a very odd bug with all-class hats/miscs which will duplicate hats forever. Just equip an all-class item, pick a class, then change to another, and another, and it will just keep stacking the item each time you change the class. You can keep stacking flairs, amassments of hats, or whatever he hell you have. You can do it on non-sourcemod servers (valve servers). Also, models seem to ragdoll now when equipped by the model manager (not always), but often when they are equipped by other methods, and almost always in ff2/vsh.

Oh, and if your hat has an unusual effect, it will stack as well, so you can have a ton of circling hearts or whatever as well.

Last edited by friagram; 09-07-2012 at 21:47.
Helvetica
Old 09-08-2012 , 01:19   Re: [TF2] Model Manager 1.0.2 (01/12/2012)
Reply With Quote #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfTheXP View Post
Just removed Model Manager for a bit, from server start to server crash, it was never loaded. It crashed after 30 minutes (as usual) this time with an overflow of the GameRulesCreation stringtable.
XP, I think something else is going on with your Sourcemod installation. I was having these problems after the patch and it stumped the crap out of me because everyone else said that it was fixed.

I just did a full reinstall with the latest snapshot, then slowly added back extensions and plugins one by one. When in a situation like yours, it's pretty much the only guaranteed thing you can do, you're just going to have to troubleshoot until you isolate the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
I've had it running for some 10 hours or so without any issues with the MM, going to add models 1 by one until it crashes.

Valve has introduced all sorts of model bugs as of MVM, so it's no surprise that there are these issues. There's a very odd bug with all-class hats/miscs which will duplicate hats forever. Just equip an all-class item, pick a class, then change to another, and another, and it will just keep stacking the item each time you change the class. You can keep stacking flairs, amassments of hats, or whatever he hell you have. You can do it on non-sourcemod servers (valve servers). Also, models seem to ragdoll now when equipped by the model manager (not always), but often when they are equipped by other methods, and almost always in ff2/vsh.

Oh, and if your hat has an unusual effect, it will stack as well, so you can have a ton of circling hearts or whatever as well.
I don't think that item duplication glitch is harmful to the server, unless maybe if someone were to stack a crap load of particle effects on top of each other.

I have been using my Model Manager constantly since MvM, in addition to not appearing to cause any crashes, I've seen no signs of errors or ragdoll problems, or any kind of strange behavior in general. I'm using all up to date models though, or old models that I've recompiled to be up to date. Maybe you're using old models that were messed up by MvM?

Also, I'm running a 32 slot Linux server, single map that never changes, same as XP.

Last edited by Helvetica; 09-08-2012 at 01:21.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 09-08-2012 , 02:20   Re: [TF2] Model Manager 1.0.2 (01/12/2012)
Reply With Quote #504

Might be a precache thing, cache used to fill up pretty quick before MVM, probably getting pushed to the limit now, though I haven't seen the too many decals error come up yet leading to engine errors.

Going to just use the dummy model technique then, hope that solves the problem.
Set all my custom models to player/whateverstockanalog.mdl they use, and push everything else without precache via fastdl. Rehex the rest to use a shared decal on the server side.

Pretty sure nobody is using pure here, and I don't see how this could be harmful. I asked around, but nobody seems to have any words on it. I think it's just like using client side mods/overrides.. So why make the server cache stuff it does not need to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
I've seen no signs of errors or ragdoll problems, or any kind of strange behavior in general. I'm using all up to date models though, or old models that I've recompiled to be up to date. Maybe you're using old models that were messed up by MvM?
I've made/compiled a many source models/player models in my day from scratch, and I honestly don't see how they could be "messed up by MvM"

Want to elaborate on this? I don't think that valve added any special bones to models or anything that would fundamentally break old models. Obviously they added some prp attachment point for the canteen, which is attached to bip_spine or something silly. The player animations are always separate from the model, so when it gets updated, the model gains whatever new changes are added.

If the model doesn't have the bone or attachment point, the particle/effect just won't be able to attach, and it will center at the model's origin in ref pose.

However, I do use a variety of models. Almost all are custom. Most are from http://kassgrein.deviantart.com/, or models which I have made/rebuilt from other sources/abandoned projects myself.

Now on a completely other note, the heavy's boxing animations seriously need to be fixed.

and I apologize for my ramblings, I am far too tired :S

Last edited by friagram; 09-08-2012 at 02:35.
Helvetica
Old 09-08-2012 , 03:19   Re: [TF2] Model Manager 1.0.2 (01/12/2012)
Reply With Quote #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
I honestly don't see how they could be "messed up by MvM"
Custom models won't cause problems. Only reskins without their own set of model files can break in the way I was referring to. Probably shouldn't have even posted that, bad 2:00 AM generalization, I am also tired lol.

Back on topic, if XP is crashing anyway without Model Manager, and I'm not getting the problems you've described in the last few posts, maybe it's something on your end?
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 09-08-2012 , 14:11   Re: [TF2] Model Manager 1.0.2 (01/12/2012)
Reply With Quote #506

I identified one of the problems, a custom map in our rotation was causing crashes as of last update.
No idea why, just started happening after this last mini update. Crashes were real bad before it, so maybe the last update fixed the problem. Not sure, had most models off since the most recent update.

I was even getting odd errors like entity table full // engine was unable to create new sprites and stuff, so people would see red X marks when they fired weapons. Very odd.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 09-09-2012 , 08:27   Re: [TF2] Model Manager 1.0.2 (01/12/2012)
Reply With Quote #507

Seems like it might be related to decal precache. Had some 20+ models or so, put them back on so the server doesn't precache those files and have not had any related crashes.
Helvetica
Old 09-10-2012 , 04:31   Re: [TF2] Model Manager 1.0.2 (01/12/2012)
Reply With Quote #508

Am I the only one that has problems with Pyro First Person animations when custom models are applied?

I asked Sarge about this several months ago but didn't really get anywhere, it seems whenever I use a custom Pyro model with Model Manager, weapons start using animations from other loud out slots, like for instance the Flamethrower will start using the Fire Axe animations and the Fire Axe will start using the Flare Gun animations. Is anyone else having this problem? It's terribly annoying.

I haven't screwed with this in months because I figured it would fix itself, guess it didn't.

Last edited by Helvetica; 09-10-2012 at 04:33.
FlaminSarge
Veteran Member
Old 09-10-2012 , 04:38   Re: [TF2] Model Manager 1.0.2 (01/12/2012)
Reply With Quote #509

I've noticed it too and I have no idea how to fix it. Which model is it?
Also, I've uploaded a better example TF2_ItemList.cfg file.

1.0.3 is still in the making, with things being weird still and testing going on.

All plugins: Randomizer/GiveWeapon, ModelManager, etc.
Post in plugin threads with questions.
Steam is for playing games.
You will be fed to javalia otherwise.
Psyduck likes replays.

Last edited by FlaminSarge; 09-10-2012 at 04:41.
Helvetica
Old 09-10-2012 , 06:03   Re: [TF2] Model Manager 1.0.2 (01/12/2012)
Reply With Quote #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaminSarge View Post
I've noticed it too and I have no idea how to fix it. Which model is it?
Also, I've uploaded a better example TF2_ItemList.cfg file.

1.0.3 is still in the making, with things being weird still and testing going on.
That particular one is FancyPants' Female Pyro (the new one), but it happens with pretty much any Pyro model, even reskins that don't have their own file set. I've also seen it happen on the Medic once but I don't remember which model it was.

Last edited by Helvetica; 09-10-2012 at 07:20.