Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[REQ] Ability to re-display menu if it is "over-written"

Post New Thread Reply   

Geesu
Veteran Member
Old 12-30-2006 , 17:49   [REQ] Ability to re-display menu if it is "over-written"
Reply With Quote #1

Requesting the ability to show the menu again in case it is "closed" by another menu - such as war3ft or some other plugin...

This will allow people to get a gun instead of having to run around w/a knife until they die...

TY
Josh
KWo
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 12-30-2006 , 18:25   Re: [REQ] Ability to re-display menu if it is "over-written"
Reply With Quote #2

Ask WC3FT developers to place a check into code if there is a menu displayed to prevent just overwrite it. Then use my beta - it also checks if there is a menu displayed. The people may learn from the beta plugin csdm_equip how to check if there is a menu displayed or not and what to do in the case the user can see already some menu form other plugin.
Geesu
Veteran Member
Old 12-30-2006 , 18:34   Re: [REQ] Ability to re-display menu if it is "over-written"
Reply With Quote #3

I had already talked w/BAIL regarding this - he said to post on the forums so he remembers to add this to the next release

PS - I'm the main developer of war3ft - this change in csdm makes my life a TON easier as I'm having to re-organize how a lot of war3ft things work in order for functionality to work w/csdm... (i.e. a lot of things are done on round end/start - which now needs to be changed for csdm)
KWo
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 12-30-2006 , 20:47   Re: [REQ] Ability to re-display menu if it is "over-written"
Reply With Quote #4

I think You guys are going in the wrong way. Imagine the situation - there is ATAC, CSDM and WC3FT. Your teamnate killed You. ATAC wants to display the TK menu, WC3FT wants to display its-own menu, and CSDM wants to display gun menu. For some reason someone decided CSDM gun menu should have the highest priority and overwrite all other menus as the master plugin. The question is "why CSDM gun menu should be the master"? How about the map time (mp_timelimit) is about to expiring and map vote menu should be also displayed in the same time? There are 2 ways to solve the problem:
1. Ideal - queueing system with menus - which may need a lot of work in the core of AMX X (I don't think it's worth BAILOPAN's time and effort)
2. My method - every custom plugin showing some menu should check if the user has some menu displayed already - if no - the menu may be shown by that plugin, if yes - the plugins should wait with displaying its menu until :
a) the user has no menu displayed anymore,
b) some max wait time defined for that menu is expired.

If You look guys in beta of csdm_equip code the solution is really stupid and easy to implement in any plugin. And it works perfectly without any neccessity to modify core of AMX X (new beta testing of the queue system, etc). It uses the big power of the function player_menu_info(id, oldmenuid, newmenuid). Why no one wants to use it? It works perfectly.
BAILOPAN
Old 12-30-2006 , 21:15   Re: [REQ] Ability to re-display menu if it is "over-written"
Reply With Quote #5

I've said it a million times that I don't want to introduce non-determinism. I don't mind adding a native to re-display the guns menu if WC3 wants to support/modify CSDM gameplay.
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 12-30-2006 , 21:50   Re: [REQ] Ability to re-display menu if it is "over-written"
Reply With Quote #6

Well - either I didn't get wat You mean by non-deterministic behavior or You didn't get what I mean by that max wait expire time I'm talking about. What I want to say is this - the menu should be always displayed, not sometimes nor 90% nor so. Just sometimes it will be displayed instantly (if there is no menu displayed), sometimes it wil be displayed after the user closed other menu and finally it will be diplayed after - let's say - 30sec - to overwrite any menu is there (that means the custom plugin menu will be always displayed which - for me - means it's deterministic). I mean the menu must be always displayed, but the user should have the chance to use all menus they want to be displayed from any custom plugin. Otherwise overlaping menus means non-deterministic (also) behavior, because You cannot predict what may happen if the user in some right moment will not be able to use some menu he should use.
I believe You never experienced (because of lack of time to play) the situation when some menu got overwritten for You and You haven't had the chance to get nervous You couldn't do something because the menu You wanted to use was owerwritten by some other menu. You are looking at the problem from coder side (which needs from You to use some clean code way), but You don't want to walk in the shoes of the user-player. Talking at 2 different levels will lead us never to get some consensus.
Geesu
Veteran Member
Old 12-31-2006 , 02:51   Re: [REQ] Ability to re-display menu if it is "over-written"
Reply With Quote #7

if it matters - the instance where there is an issue w/war3ft ONLY occurs when the user first joins the server - it never occurs again...
KWo
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 01-02-2007 , 17:37   Re: [REQ] Ability to re-display menu if it is "over-written"
Reply With Quote #8

It occurs also in the situation You got some XP to pass the new lavel, so You could see Races menu, but instantly in that moment someone killed You - Your races menus get overwritten by Guns menu. But for that You can try my beta (it doesn't overwrite instantly any menu - it waits until You close Your menu or 30sec expired since the time You should've seen the gun menu after respawning) - then gun menu is displayed. If You can test that beta - let me know if it works for You better with WC3FT.